5.0 out of 5 stars JJoe Pass Guitar Style
Simply put I've been using this book every time I want to add some fresh
Published on March 28, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook Style - Reference With A Few Examples.
Published on May 24, 2012 by Ken Teel

5.0 out of 5 stars JJoe Pass Guitar Style, March 28, 2003
By A Customer
Simply put I've been using this book every time I want to add some fresh
ideas to my playing. This is the constitution on how to make the guitar your own voice. If your serious about getting beyond playing power cords and soloing diatonically. This book will be with you the rest of your playing days. I've been using it for 20 years and I still find useful info out of it. I think it's a bit too much for beginers, but it won't hurt your playing if you feel overwhelmed with soo much info in such a small book. the key is to take to take it slow & have pateince. This and Ted Greene's "Cord Chemistry" are essential reads for any serious GTrist. Plus it's wrtten W/O Tabulature. Yeah
Buy this Book now if you don't have it. The bible of how to play Jazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jazz and Blues Tutor - Two CD versions are available - Some YouTube Videos, January 17, 2010
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
This great tutor on single note improvisation has standard notation with chord symbols - no tab or chord grids - you need to be a strong reader to make the most of it. This book is far from an easy read. A better starting point for the novice would be Joe Pass On Guitar with CD (Audio) (Cpp Media Video Transcription). ). I found Carol Kaye's Jazz Improv Soloing DVD a great help on understanding the chordal concepts use throughout this book.

The blues sections are particularly strong, including minor blues and 3/4 blues ("Bluesette"). The coverage of modern blues (Parker changes -"Blues for Alice") is the best I have seen anywhere.

There are 3 packages available from Amazon and Amazon Suppliers - (1) book only (this package), (2)"Book and CD" Joe Pass Guitar Style - Bk+CD, or (3) "Book and enhanced CD" from "cktutors" (look under the "New from" link on this page). Neither of the CDs are of high quality - good enough to demonstrate what the examples should sound like, but not up to the standard of modern tutors - remember this book was first published 40 years ago. For practice purposes I use Band in a Box to generate backing tracks.

The following sections have been added to the enhanced CD:

"Improvising" (pages 32-35)
"Blues" (pages 35-36)
"Minor Blues" (pages 37-38)
"Modern Blues" (pages 40-43).
Some choruses from "Rhythm Changes" (pages 47-48).

Neither CD version has "Rosetta", (transcribed from "For Django" album) or complete coverage of the 3/4 blues section.

You can find some videos of the book examples on youtube - try searching for "bleakanddivine", who has covered the Rhythm Changes and the entire Blues section, including Modern and Minor Blues.

One tip - Joe Pass stated that he avoided uncomfortable stretches and "difficult" chords - he always used fret positions where the phrase lay naturally under the fingers. Remembering that quote, I have constantly re-fingered the examples in the book, each time finding easier positions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, February 12, 2009
J. Bartell (Wheaton, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This is not an easy book to work with but it is dense with material and worth the effort. Joe Pass was a genius at playing. As a teacher, he wasn't always as clear. Fortunately, he tried a lot, and we have plenty of published music from him. This book rewards patience and perseverance. Go through it slowly. Take what you can from here or there, and come back for more later. I've been returning to this book for years, and always come away with something that I missed before.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, August 22, 2009
C. Moore (Brownsville, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
I have owned this book for over thirty years, practiced extensively from it in my formative studies, and am preparing to teach a college class using it as a text. It is simply an excellent book, still one of the best out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Solo at the End is from "Rosetta", January 9, 2014
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
Excellent book! I bought this and it has tremendously helped both the chord aspects and single-note aspects of my playing. In particular, the blues exercises utilizing straight 8th-notes are very helpful in learning how to outline chord progressions and aiming for target tones. Going through this helps you realize that the genius of Joe Pass' complex style was actually in how he simplified everything (if that makes sense).

I already knew how to read notes from playing piano, but on the guitar it's kinda different. I was able to improve my note reading (which you will need for this standard notated book) by going through Ted Greene's Single Note Soloing Book. The CD in this book is immensely helpful. There are also various uploads on YouTube, especially of the blues exercises I mentioned.

Lastly, there is a transcribed solo at the end of the book, the title is not mentioned, though the authors did list the album it's from ("For Django"). For those wondering, the solo is from the song "Rosetta" off the For Django album. It took me a while to figure out which song it was. Worth it for the price. Happy playing!

-TheJoe (no relation to the late great Mr. Joe Pass)

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY EXCELLENT, January 16, 2013
GT (NYC Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
There is an amazing amount of usable info on each page of this book - much more so than the average book. The information is presented in a way that is sort of pre-digested for the playing professional so that the concepts are USABLE in real time for real time improvisation. I have more than 300 jazz and guitar books - this is the one for the desert island.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook Style - Reference With A Few Examples., May 24, 2012
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
OK Caveot first. I have bought this book, and this is a inital impression. The author's words, on pg. 1 sum up my general impression. His words are "The material is designed as more of a reference than a method." This book has music theory, with each concept having a scale or two to illustrate. However, this appears to be much more of a reference book for people who already are familiar with playing some jazz, and just need a quick example for a concept that they are interested in. It makes sense that people have used this as a reference. It also would only make sense as a main teaching text, if the teacher wanted to insure that the students had to come to him to learn (aka: fill in the blanks in this book, and provide regimen for training.) Of course Joe Pass was a great player, but like engineers trying to teach, we all know that being great at something doesn't mean that you can teach it. I'd be cautious in recomending this book to a novice to jazz, lest it initidate him and turn him off to the joy of playing jazz. I gave this three stars, just to get attention to my point of view. I'm sure that any intermediate to advanced student can benefit from having this book in his library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !!, March 6, 2013
I have used this book a lot. This is the third time I am purchasing it because the previous copies were destroyed from overuse. After absorbing all that is in here, I have used it as a reference and I have used it to teach jazz concepts to students.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best jazz guitar book. period., July 15, 2010
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
I have been using this book for over 30 years. I am well into my 2nd copy as I had completely worn the 1st out.
I was 17 when I got this book and was studying with Barry Morton, who had studied with Joe Pass. Barry gave me Joe's fingerings for the blues choruses in this book whick I would be happy to pass on to anyone who wants them; this is a moot point though for if this book is practised the way Joe says it should be, in every key and every conceivable fingering, Joes fingerings will be uncovered in the process.
On that point, it this book was practised in every fingering, transposed to every key, the result would be one monster guitarist.
No TAB wasting paper here.
I get annoyed when I buy a book and discover that the printing costs, and much of the production costs, could have been significantly reduced if the TAB was cut.
This is a book for the intermediate guitarist who is going to be professional and will do whatever it takes to learn the guitar. Yes, even read music.
Oddly enough, this book does not teach at length, Joes solo guitar style. He really pioneered solo jazz guitar. The imformation in this book could easily be adapted to solo guitar playing though, if the student was prepared to do the work.

This is a serious book; No 'easy Way to Play Jazz Guitar' here. A must have for any hardworking guitar student

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Stuff, May 23, 2009
This review is from: Joe Pass Guitar Style (Paperback)
The book is all Joe Pass which is all jazz guitar.
Unfortunately it indicates a Accompaning CD which is non existant.

Joe Pass Guitar Style
Joe Pass Guitar Style by Joe Pass (Paperback - May 4, 2006)
$10.95 $7.93