Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
1,641 of 1,859 people found the following review helpful
on March 2, 2009
RINO spinmeisters, aided and abetted by the liberal media, have promoted Joe the Plumber as being an everyman, the archetypical "average American." This book shatters that image.

Joe the Plumber is not the "average American." He's the "average conservative," and I thank God for that.

Last year, the "average American" elected an Harvard educated constitutional law professor to the presidency. Average conservatives knew better. They rallied behind Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin, people like ourselves; people I proudly call "mediocre Americans."

And that's why Joe is still so immensely popular. He's angry, vicious, ignorant, and intellectually incurious. He's one of us, and like us, he didn't learn about public policy and international relations at a university or from books or journals; he learned everything he needed to know by tuning into Rush, Hannity, Savage, and Ingraham.

This is a great book, one every true conservative should buy, and more importantly, read. Yes, I know that sounds like a tall order, but it's an easy read. Joe uses one and two syllable words (many of them, written forms of various grunts) almost exclusively. If I have one complaint, it's that the publisher, Pearlgate, printed it in ink rather than crayon like the original manuscript. Other than that, I think it truly is the perfect book for the average conservative.
6363 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2009
I was startled and deeply impressed by the honesty and forthrightness with which Mr. Wurzelbacher dealt with his personal, human foibles: his failure to pay taxes, his dependence on welfare, the breakup of his marriage, and why he lied to Barack Obama about his income and his intention to buy a business. What a brave, selfless man.

Hahahahaha, just kidding! Not-Joe the not-a-Plumber is the perfect symbol of today's Republican party -- attention-starved, intellectually bankrupt, pathologically dishonest, blatantly hypocritical, inexplicably proud of his ignorance and bigotry, and utterly unconcerned with the well-being of his fellow Americans and the welfare of his country.

I predict this book will become a camp classic.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2009
By far the best book out since the Wassup guys self titled bio. SamJoe tells it like it is, except for the written parts. I've read some really bad books, but this one was the best!
on March 3, 2009
The domain of the ignorant is to misunderstand, as the domain of the genius is to provoke. Socrates was accused of corrupting Athenian youth when he tried to make them think by the means of provocative questions wrapped in feigned ignorance that the Athenians, in their confusion, misunderstood as challenging their traditional beliefs. So it must be with Mr. Wurzelbacher, a.k.a. "Joe" the "Plumber," the trustworthy "everyday American," who stated on national TV that he was "about to purchase a 250k business" even though he could not and had no plan to do so whatsoever, who has gifted us with this instant modern classic.

In this book and in real life, he graces us with pricess wisdom after wisdom. His words may at first appear to violate all rules of logic, common sense and basic education. However, they are not nausiating and narcissitic hemorrhaging of willful ignorance they first appear to be, and his book is definitely not a shameless attempt to cash in on a quick media-driven fame. Mr. Wurzelbacher would never resort to such things! Rather, this magnificant ghostwritten tome of 200 pages is densely filled with nuclear-grade insights disguised as H-bomb grade idiocy, where every statement he throws and every question he asks blindsides us to challenge our own knowledge and assumptions. For example, when he pretends to be completely ignorant of the difference of revenue and income, he challenges us to examine our own understanding of the Internal Revenue Code: he has issued a somber reminder of the complexities of the U.S. tax system that bewilder and befuddle even the trained professionals. He then even went so far as to prove the exact point himself by not paying taxes for a while. When he continues to repeat his apparent misunderstanding even after Obama informs him, he warns us how careless words can enslave the speaker forever, even after numerous chances for corrections. When he astonishes us by saying that news media should not be allowed near war zones, he is clearly referencing the master film-maker Godard, who said there can be no true anti-war film because describing a war inherently glorifies it. Generations of scholars will be uncovering pearls of wisdom from this thoughtful figure, wondering, like we do with Shakespeare, how he had the time to pour in all this experience, perceptions, knowledges and references in a mere span of a month or two, or in a flash of inspiration, in case of his live statements.

In short, a perception tells more of the perceiver than what is perceived. A wise man will see great wisdom in an apparent babbling, and a great businessman will see opportunities others avoid. Alexander saw a great philosopher that the ignorant simply perceived as a begger. Likewise, Mr. Wurzelbacher's statements may appear to be misguided waste of time to those who are not used to critical thought, such as the president of the Harvard Law Review, professors or typical college educated folks--but they contain a great lesson for those who are wise, curious and open, like high school drop outs, pregnant teenage mothers or Sean Hannity.

I purused Amazon's rating system for a bit and noticed that the "five stars" rating is usually given to authors such as Shakespeare, Thucydides, Edgar Allen Poe, or even modern hacks such as Hemingway or Pynchon. Five stars is clearly inadequate for Mr. Wurzelbacher's creation--I call it the Second Bible. I will petition Amazon to create a ten-star rating just for this book. Meanwhile, I will rate it at mere five stars for now.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2009
SPOILER ALERT!!! In Joe's own words: "My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi." And from there Joe's story gets even more inspiring!! Joe also talks about somebody named Samuel, who is maybe like an imaginary friend. Next to that hot cougar Sarah Peelin, or whatever her name is, Joe is the perfect conservative Repuglican. He proves that an average American is just as smart as somebody who goes to Harvard or Oxford or University of Moscow like Barrak H Obama.
on March 3, 2009
I don't know how express to you the glorious joy of this book except to say that Samuel "The Joe" Wurlitzerbonker is to literature what David Hasselhoff is to music [...]. After reading the other glowing reviews here, I just knew that I had to get a copy for myself. I was not disappointed. This book literally changed my life.

Knowing his audience well, The Joe starts off with a simple and straightforward chapter titled "Achieving the dream without skills, talent or brains." This chapter alone, with is striking subtlety, carefully honed insight, and superb mastery of the English language should be enough to transport even the starving masses of Somalia into a state of sheer bliss. But The Joe doesn't stop there. He builds slowly, revealing in gentle steps the sublime world of his own self discovery so eloquently expressed in the chapter "Admit you know nothing but say it in front of the camera."

By this time, those of you yearning for climactic release will be rewarded with the magnificent crescendo to be found in the chapter "Palling around with Palin." I don't want to diminish your pleasure by giving away any details so let's just say that, being a plumber, The Joe knows a thing or two about laying pipe. Make no mistake though, Sam isn't spent. He goes on and on for several more pages spraying pearls of wisdom in every direction.

So don't just buy this book and leave it on your nightstand for dreamy bedtime pleasure. Read it daily to remind yourself of what might have been, and what you need to do to insure a successful future for yourself and your loved ones.Looking For-Best of David Hasselhoff
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I just has to say...This book blue my mind! i coultn't put it down just after 1 pages of reeding it..."joe" the plummer has it and he knows it and sticks it to the libral fashonist's!!1! this Plummer would be picked by me over mario any day...some times when reeding in this book i fell that he is screeming write to me, it is very personal charged reeding, this book is four people who hat libral fashonists and wished they wood go back to where they came from. hell. "JOE" THE PLUMMER IS MY HERO IN MY BOOK ABOUT ME.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2009
Just when I thought all was lost, along comes a man of such immense character, wielding a mighty pen that speaks to my heart. You see, I am a dropout and a loser. Joe W. has given me a gift so precious I find it difficult to put into words...
With this first book in a series of I hope many, Joe has shown me that even if I am a dope... even if I write like a 5th grader, and even if my pea-sized brain is devoid of any thing resembling a "fact", that I too can have my 15+ minutes of fame, and ride this train wreck of a political party until it jumps the rails, landing me sadly but thankful for the ride, back amid my squalor. Thanks Joe! I will never forget you!
on March 27, 2009
Somehow, this man figured out how to vomit all over paper and magically form words... With this talent, it's amazing that "Joe" hasn't vomited all over the certification tests he needs to become a plumber! A recommended read if you're into WWE Wrestling, listening to Rush Limbaugh, eating bacon, and hunting deer from a helicopter.
on April 24, 2009
I was completely unaware of the intricacies, controversies and political intrigue involved in the world of plumbing! From "Joe"'s first comparisons of the late Roman Empire to pipe fitting to his summation later in the book describing the juxtaposition of particle physics to the typical urinal, I was enthralled.

For generations philosophers have searched for the meaning of life, politicians have searched for the perfect balance of governance and liberty, and scientists have searched for a grand, unified theory of everything. Here, Joe lays down a well organized, lengthy yet concise blue-print to achieve all these goals and much more in time to get a Republican elected in 2012!