5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and fabulous
This book has both my boys (ages 6 & 4) laughing and singing (there is a made-up ditty about Heinrich the Pizza Man) and wanting to read the whole book repeatedly. The silly illustrations along with actual images make Bach's history understandable and interesting to the very young. Now we're all listening to the Brandenberg Concertos!
Published on January 13, 2008 by Fredericka

3.0 out of 5 stars Bach stories
Hello, I am 12 years old, and as a 12 year old I thought this book was educational and funny. If I were interested in learning about music I would love to read this book. I disliked it though because it teaches kids to disobey your boss.
Published on February 20, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and fabulous, January 13, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Books, December 8, 2007
All of the Venezia books are really great. They are funny yet informative and really help children to learn about Artists and Composers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, short, packed with info, September 12, 2010
I was surprised at first by how small this book was (both in size and number of pages), but it's funny and actually contains quite a bit of information for a young child. My 5 year old likes it and retained a good many little biographical information after just the first reading. Great read for elementary level students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Educational Resource, November 3, 2012
Carme Sevenster (Brisbane, AUSTRALIA) - See all my reviews
I am a homeschooling mother of two and is constantly looking for educational material. This is a great book, the illustrations are funny and kids love the humorous bits and pieces. The information is presented in a very effective manner. I started my children very early on with music theory and can honestly say that all the books in the series serve as a great introduction to this field especially for younger children (age 4 onward)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bach stories, February 20, 2012
A Kid's Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Super series, this book no exception!, July 16, 2012
In our homeschool, I typically determine what I want to teach and then seek out the materials in order to teach it. However, sometimes I come across materials so exceptional that they determine what I teach. This was the case with the books in the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers series (and incidentally, also the Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series). My 7yo daughter loves these books. We use them in addition to picture study (Charlotte Mason style) and Suzuki violin lessons. They are the perfect combination of humor and information. I especially appreciate how there are paintings, photos, and sketches of places and people relevant to the periods in each book. A child can learn a decent amount of history from these books in addition to facts about the composers. After reading each book we add the composers' important years to our family book of centuries. I also see what musical pieces are discussed in the book and rent a CD with one or more of those pieces from the library. We also listen to the Classical Kids CDs, like Mr. Bach Comes to Call, which are composer biographies in story-form with their music interspersed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Library stickers, December 20, 2013
This review is from: Johann Sebastian Bach (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers) (Library Binding)
While I knew it was used, unfortunately I was not informed that the outside and inside still carried library stickers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition, September 19, 2013
This is the perfect addition to our homeschool famous composer music curriculum. This series of books is such a great resource to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johann Sebastian Bach book, May 27, 2013
This book, as well as the others in this series, is a great way to introduce famous composers to children and adults (I learned interesting facts and history that I hadn't learned before, as well.)

5.0 out of 5 stars nice introduction to the classics, April 20, 2011
The publisher and writer of this series publishes books on artists and inportant historical figures. We originally borrowed some from our local library, and really enjoyed the serious, yet entertaining way in which otherwise heavily intellectual information was explained to very young readers. My 6 year old cellist opened the package a couple of days ago, and has carried this book on Bach around with her since. She is playing a minuet by this composer at the moment. It was such a great treat for her to find out so much about the life of a composer who lived so long ago. I also borrowed from the library several dvds to go along with the art and history books from this series. I hope that similar dvds are available about each composer in the series. What a great way to empower little minds! If you are looking for a non-intimidating, friendly way to introduce 6-10 year olds (and even older) to classical composers, please buy this series.

Johann Sebastian Bach (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)
Johann Sebastian Bach (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers) by Mike Venezia (Library Binding - March 1, 1998)
Used & New from: $5.22