5.0 out of 5 stars Great - but where is the real music????
Published on January 7, 2001 by Chadwick H. Saxelid

2.0 out of 5 stars The Aborted Soundtrack............................
Published on December 30, 2000 by J. L. Braswell

2.0 out of 5 stars The Aborted Soundtrack............................, December 30, 2000
J. L. Braswell (Cullman, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Carpenter's: The Fog (New Expanded Edition Original Film Soundtrack) (Audio CD)
The Fog is one of my favorite horror movies due to its atmospheric and ghostly feeling. Much of this feeling is due to the superb score by John Carpenter. I purchased the original import album on Ebay several months ago. I had been searching for this soundtrack for years. Can you imagine the excitement I felt when I finally succeeded in my quest? After listening to the CD, I was extremely let down. Only a few pieces of music from the actual film was present. I read the liner notes and found out what was wrong. Here is a quote from John Carpenter himself;
"The movie that I had made was clunky, clumsy and awful. The music was heavy-handed and obvious. I wanted to pack up and leave town. This was the lowest point I can remember in my professional career."
"I went back to Sound Arts Studio and quickly began composing and recording new tracks. Dan Wyman was at my side keeping a critical eye on my multi-tracked performances and maintaining quality control. Out of all the frenzy, re-working and re-structuring, I produced what I consider to be one of my best scores."
I honestly don't know why so many tracks from his "best score" are discarded from the soundtrack in favor of the original "heavy-handed and obvious" tracks which, quite simply, are not good. Where was the music that accompanied the scene in which Mrs. Williams and her assistant drive up to the church to visit Father Malone? Where was the music from the scene in which the fog terrorizes Andy and Mrs. Kobritz and the subsequent rescue and escape from the house? Where are the shorter music cues which were used to accompany the fog rolling in and cutting off the power to Antonio Bay or Dan the weatherman's death?
When I discover that their was a "Expanded Edition" of this soundtrack, I was ecstatic and immediately ordered a copy, only to again be let down. It was the exact same CD as the old one, but including severel new tracks. Why was the track entitled "Main Theme Reprise" included when it is already featured in "Theme From the Fog"? To my dismay, "The Fog Rolls In" was more aborted music which wasn't used in the film. "Blake in the Sanctuary" was a remotely better (more true to the film) track than the original's "Reel 9". "Finale" was a good inclusion, but is inappropriately titled due to the fact that it is not used in the finale of the film in any way. The liner notes are even identical to the original CD, offering nothing new.
The only two things which I can actually say are welcome additions to the soundtrack is the ghost story "Prologue Narrated by John Houseman" and the "Radio Interview with Jamie Lee Curtis About The Fog", which was a very informative look inside her career and the acting field.
If you like the movie THE FOG and you don't own the soundtrack, then this is worth buying for the few tracks which are represented in the film. If you already have the original release CD, then don't bother with this one because it doesn't offer enough extras to warrant spending your hard earned cash on. Lastly, I would like to say that I love the music to this movie and would have rated this CD with 5 stars if ALL of the movies themes were included instead of presenting us with such an abundance of aborted material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - but where is the real music????, January 7, 2001
The Fog contains my favorite Carpenter music, and is my favorite Carpenter film. So I was overjoyed when, in 1985, I found the soundtrack had finally been issued by Varese Sarabande. My joy turned to slight disappointment when many of the music tracks from the film were not included and it seemed to contain compositions that had not even been in the movie. Nonetheless there was more than enough to keep me happy for a time.
When I saw that Silva had reissued an expanded soundtrack I was again overjoyed and filled with hope. But that joy again turned to slight disappointment when I heard the final result. The album is nothing more than the first release with a few additional tracks, granted from the film this time. But music is still missing, mainly my favorite cue that plays as Mrs. Williams drives up the winding road to the Church as the Sea Grass is discovered. I would also have liked to hear the music from the attack on Andy and Mrs. Kobritz and the narrow escape made by Nick, Elizabeth, and Andy minutes later. There are many squandered tracks as well. The Houseman prologue being the biggest. Instead of letting the main title run in its full length, Silva just slapped the narration segment at the front of the disc. But I did love the reprise of the Main Theme as it finally plays as presented in the end credits of the movie. The Blake in the Sanctuary track is okay, but the cues are spoiled by the underdubbing of Reel 9 AGAIN. I do not need to hear the exact same track twice.
I really wish they had done it right, but they didn't. Nonetheless Carpenter's compositions shine and the haunting music never seems to grows old. To this day it remains my favorite Carpenter score and a required disc, for me that is. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Guideline For This Soundtrack, July 30, 2002
Gary Citron (Sanford, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
I must state that if you like the haunting melody and sounds that John Carpenter himself makes for the majority of his movies you will definately enjoy this soundtrack.I must also say that I first saw this movie in the movie theater when I was 10 years old and I found it to be a very well done and frightening film.
I like listening to the musical score because it brings me back to the day I saw it in the movie theater.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Antonio Bay's Centennial with your host John Carpenter", December 19, 2000
Silva Screen and John Carpenter give me the chills, with this newly expanded edition of the original film soundtrack - "The Fog", music composed, performed and film written and directed by Carpenter.
Opening is a prologue, narrated by John Houseman with his spellbinding voice - weaves a ghost story of a tragedy that occurred 100 years ago to a ship out in Antonio Bay, the ship - the "Elizabeth Dane", caught in a strange fog and the ship crashes on to the rocks...which now lies at the bottom of the bay. Houseman warns, the crew returns to seek revenge on the town of Antonio Bay.
There's something in the fog, so bolt your windows and lock your doors as we prepare to review this extraordinary piece of music known as the "score". Of course there are highlights - "WALK TO THE LIGHTHOUSE" lightness of tone, softer, three lines of a high flute melody, mid-range counterpoint and a low bass for support, mood setting as understated fear sets in..."REEL 9" over ten minutes of an elaborate chase driven by rising and falling synthesized tones, mixed and held together by a long piece consisting of a bell and constant chord, very effective to the story-line.
Hats off to our friends at Silva for the additional "bonus tracks" - "MAIN THEME REPRISE", "THE FOG ROLLS IN", "BLAKE IN THE SANCTUARY", "FINALE" and the exclusive "RADIO INTERVIEW WITH JAMIE LEE CURTIS ABOUT THE FOG"...and so my "film-score-buffs", spin this CD, sit back and be prepared to get completely un-nerved, this is a sure spine-tingler!
Total Time: 56:42 on 14 Tracks...Silva Screen SSD-1123...(2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry ice not included, January 10, 2005
The original Varese Sarabande Fog disc is tough to find, and rather short. This 'Expanded' edition is not perfect, as has been pointed out by several reviewers, but it is quite welcome.

There are issues, but it's mostly due to what is omitted. There is still missing music here, but it's more complete and satisfying than the original disc.

As for the sound, it's true, it doesn't sound the same. The same is true of the excellent (and better) rerelease job for Escape from New York. Compared with the older, shorter release, the Escape CD sounds clearer, as if remixed considerably, but I don't think that's too much of a problem. If you love both scores, you might want to track both versions down (just don't break the bank finding the out of print discs) and compare them, as they are indeed different.

As for The Fog, it was a nice little ghost movie--the kind that is completely absent today from movie screens--and Carpenter's score is spot-on. While I believe Escape is his first, true complete film score (instead of repetition of the same cues over and over at different tempos) The Fog provides excellent atmospherics, particularly the main theme and that haunting piano that accompanies the fog's slow-roll into town. The scoer, in general, sounds like a chilly, gray fall day. As a bonus, we have John Houseman's opening story, and also a Jamie Lee Curtis interview from the period where she talks about being a horror scream queen, and also about the craft of film acting.

For Carpenter fans, it's a no brainer. I wish they'd included all of the music from the film, and re-did the liner notes, but still, it's a good disc, well worth it for the fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars CREEPY MUSIC!!, February 22, 2002
John D. Seneca (PLAQUEMINE, LOUISIANA) - See all my reviews
John Carpenter does a great job with the music for this film. It fits the movie so well. I had to find a soundtrack for the movie after I saw it!!
Anyway, if you like the music from Halloween, then check this cd out. It is just as good- only different.
The Fog and it's music are both fantastic!!!
This CD would be a great centerpiece for a halloween party and definetely a great addition to a CD collection!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary as h...!, November 9, 2002
If you like this movie and watched it numerous times(like me) youre gonna love being able to listen to the music isolated, and getting scared even without Carpenters pictures. It simply works just as well without the movie, and therefore is also ideal for listening while reading a good scary book!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Long Awaited Re-release for Carpenter Fans!, October 19, 2000
Shawn Hunt (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
It has been over a decade since "the Fog" went on moratorium, and I've waited along time for this. Being a huge Carpenter fan I've always been disappointed that this was no longer available on CD. This score ranks as one of Carpenter's best, alongside "Halloween" and "Escape from New york" (which was also re-released recently). The mood and atmosphere in this score is very dark and foreboding, but still much softer than "Halloween" or "Prince of Darkness." There are new elements on the CD that aren't in the film, but this doesn't detract from the film's feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky, March 7, 2013
John Carpenter is a unique talent. He's a movie director who also composes the music to his own movies. One such movie is The Fog (1980). This horror classic contains a great soundtrack that fits the movie perfectly. The main theme is a classic, dark, moody, spooky piece. The other music that runs throughout the movie fits the scenes very well. I particularly like the intense music that's playing when the fog rolls into town. Great stuff.

I personally rank the soundtrack to The Fog as Carpenter's third best ever. Here are my top five Carpenter soundtracks, in order from 1-5:

1. Halloween III - Season Of The Witch (1982)
2. Halloween (1978)
3. The Fog (1980)
4. Prince Of Darkness (1987)
5. Halloween II (1981)

I highly recommend the soundtrack to The Fog!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fog is ressurected!, October 17, 2000
Benjamin Kenber (Los Angeles, California United States) - See all my reviews
Three cheers for SilvaScreen records for giving John Carpenter's music the close attention it deserves. First they expanded and remastered "Escape From New York", and now they have remastered and expanded "The Fog." I did not even realize that they were releasing this one. It's terrific and sounds better than ever. This soundtrack is one of the harder ones to find unless you can find it as an import. This new edition is much more affordable though and has more material. Among the bonus tracks, they've included John Houseman's prologue which is very chilling indeed (the CD is dedicated to him). Also, there is a radio interview with Jamie Lee Curtis about The Fog and her career. It's a must for anyone interested in being an actor in films. Once again, let's here it for Silva Screen Records! I look forward to whatever they do to Carpenter's stuff next. It sounds great and it still is great.