Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on April 27, 2016
I LOVE this movie. I still think if it had been advertised as John Carter of Mars, it would have done better at the box office. Not everyone knows who John Carter is or that it was the only book of its kind written by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
on June 10, 2012
Edgar Rice Burroughs published the Princess of Mars in 1912. Since then, readers have been captivated by his Science Fiction and Tarzan series which subsequently influenced them in their own careers as writers, scientists, and directors. If you can step back past modern imitations, you can appreciate the author as a true master of originality and cast a favorable perspective on the movie. John Carter was unappreciated by the critics. The female lead and the acting of John Carter's nephew felt artifical at times, however, the other characters were strong and enjoyable. Our family recommends this movie.
on May 19, 2013
Like many older folk here, I was exposed to the original Burroughs series. I did not expect this movie to be a carbon copy - what film is? I expected to judge it on its own merits, and in this it succeeds well enough. The period costuming is impeccable, the characterization adequately deep for a pulp fiction hero, the critters "authentic" enough. There are necessary updates, of course: Burroughs could not have envisioned such electronic flying machines, and the chivalrous Southron of the original Carter would have come across as mere hokum to a modern audience, inviting more cynicism than honor. Lynn Collins is modernistically "correct" as an amazon princess; her scenes are worth watching for obvious reasons. Altogether, good entertainment. Why this should have "bombed" at the BO, as opposed to long-playing silliness not worth the ticket price, is one of those market mysteries whose secret may be revealed, some day, beyond the River Iss.
on March 28, 2012
Look folks, this is a GREAT movie despite what about half the critics (who obviously don't understand the genre of Planetary Romance) have said. My 9-year-old grandson was willing to go to the theater and see this movie THREE times and said it's like Star Wars (which he loves) and he even likes to hear the music alone because he loves the movie so much.

PLEASE, give it a chance, because this movie deserves at least one sequel, if not two!! I've seen it 9 times at the theater and it gets better with repeated viewings!

Go see it now and buy the Blu-Ray and DVD when it comes out so Disney will know that this is a potential goldmine series!

Thanks for your time!
66 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2013
This isn't just a Disney movie for children; adults should like it also. It's clean, humorous but I do warn I wouldn't recommend for very young children. There is some violence; you would have to be the judge. I've watched it a dozen times at the very least. Although there are no children at home anymore, I would gladly play it for my older grand-children with their parent's permission.
on September 6, 2012
My husband read these books as a teen and was happy to see the movie come out. I was seeing with with fresh eyes since I didn't know there was a book it was based on.
My husband really enjoyed it saying it stuck to the adventurous nature of the book and I loved the the way it took me to places and times that didn't mesh but still really worked in the movie.
This was bright, exciting, and I never knew what was going to happen next. We really did like this movie and this is from two people going in with expectations and no expectations.
on May 26, 2012
Let me begin by saying that I saw this film several times and I would give it 4 1/2 stars instead of just 4 if I had that option. It is no bomb. A bomb is a film that opens and no one goes to see it. Rather than a bomb, it was a financial disappointment. And that was not because it was a bad movie. It was a good movie, maybe not perfect, but keep in mind this is a film adapted from pulp fiction. It is what it is supposed be, a fun, exciting ride into a land of fierce creatures, cutthroat warriors, wondrous Martian landscapes and a beautiful Martian princess. By now most of you must know the story; a gallant officer, war weary from the Civil war, is mysteriously transported from prospecting in Arizona to the dying planet of mars where he is captured by 12 foot tall 4 armed green men. He eventually gains their trust and befriends their leader- Jedak. Then because of his sense of fairness and gallantry, he rescues and falls in love with a Martian princess. From this point on he is torn between this love and his misplaced desire to return home. This is a love story surrounded by action and adventure. Why it was not marketed this way is a mystery to me. It is also based on a classic novel penned 100 years ago by a revered, ground breaking author. Not much mention of that either in the marketing. Nor that this story inspired the creators of Flash Gordon, Superman, Star Wars, Avatar, and many others.
Some of the critics have blasted the acting and dialog in this film. Ok, this is not Othello, but George Lucas wasn't William Shakespeare and Mark Hamill isn't Laurence Olivier. But we all loved Star Wars anyway. For my part I feel that Lynn Collins was quite good as Deja Thoris and Taylor Kitsch was more than adequate and fulfilled my vision of the John Carter of the books. The dialogue is a little sappy because the director/writer, I believe, tried to stay true to the spirit of Edgar Rice Burroughs writing. Actually, I was surprised at how faithful director, Stanton, was to Princess of Mars. There were changes to be sure. This is always true when Hollywood adapts a book to film. But, compared to many adaptations, this one retains the heart and sole of the original story. Some of the changes I didn't care for that much but others, I feel, were actually helpful. Especially when you consider that this is a century old story that had to be adapted for a 21st century audience.
Back to the "bomb" label for a minute. This movie did nearly $300,000,000 world wide. (I think it is actually higher than reported because Mojo didn't update its stats internationally after the first 4 weeks or so) It is currently number 8 in world gross for 2012. It is doing extremely well in DVD pre-sales and it has the dubious distinction of being a leader in pirated DVDs. That hardly qualifies it to be labeled a bomb or flop.
If you have not seen this film, you are missing out on a gem. Get it, sit back, relax and take a flyer to a magic world created a century ago by an incredibly imaginative mind. Watch a chivalrous hero fight for the love of a beautiful princess against giant, ferocious green warriors, huge white apes and an army of blood thirsty red martians. This is pulp fiction/syfi-fantasy at its best.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2015
The critics can suck it, my kids loved this movie! I have seen it a couple times and I can't figure out why some people think that every movie needs to be Hamlet...There are guns, explosions, aliens and monsters, turn your brain off and enjoy the movie.
I enjoyed all of the John Carter books and found this film to be a good adaptation and fun to watch. Carter is a Civil War soldier from Virginia who discovered gold after the war and was somehow transported to Mars. There is much conflict between groups there and he identifies with one group. There is a slight reference to the Civil War in the film when one compares the war on earth to that on Mars. Carter at first is unable to understand the people of Mars but then he is given a drink and can do so. He finds a strange large creature that likes him like a dog likes a human. He has unusual strength and can jump far distances because of the Mars atmosphere. He soon falls in love with a red woman - and this reminded me of the blacks in the Civil War.
on September 3, 2013
John Carter is a Sci-fi lovers dream. The storyline is one that has been done before only this one spans the distance of two worlds. Teleportation, organic anti-matter weapon technology, and solar powered flying machines. Don't forget sword play. If you like stories that actually have a good ending you will like this movie.