Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on October 6, 2004
Nice cast body - the only part that didn't break within the first 20 hours of use. First the nozzles don't keep their setting - pipe clamps fixed that. Then the wheels broke when it tried to pull 100' of hose (claims up to 200). Dremel tool, washers and cotter pins to put it back into service. Finally, the spinner fell out when the plastic retainer broke. Not sure how to fix this one. If I had paid $10 I would have paid too much.
on April 4, 2006
We purchased one of these John Deere Sprinkers and two weeks before that, a LR Nelson RAINTRAIN. After two days of use, the John Deere's gears shelled out; the RAINTRAIN is going strong after two weeks of traveling over our 2 acre lot. We had a RAINTRAIN 20 years ago and it did fine for a long, long time.

So, I'm off to buy another RAINTRAIN. We considered returning the poorly made Deere, but it's too much trouble.

For the record, my farmer hubby owns several BIG John Deere farm tractors and they are very reliable. Obviously the sprinkler isn't of the same quality at all.
on August 13, 2006
This summer, we moved into a new house w/ a small acreage. I have an old melnor rain tractor I inherited from my grandfather which works great.

We purchased one of these Gilmour units as we were puttin-in the new grass to expedite the watering process. Worked great for two weeks.

After that, the spindle would bind inside & stop the spray arms .... stop forward motion. The "Rotor" is screwed into the plastic receptacle which houses a hollow brass fitting. The top of the brass fitting as an o-ring to seal against the receptacle ... but the receptacle "screws" itself against the fitting as it rotates ... per design ... but this particular design doesn't provide a large enough shoulder to keep the receptacle from tightening ... stopping the torque of the spray arms.

I have, on multiple occaisions ... disassembled this thing & tried to modify the puny shoulder with temporary success.

It carries the John Deere Green premium price, but it doesn't have the JD durability. The folks in Moline oughta be looking for a different manufacturer to produce their little marketeer. This one gives JD a bad rap.

I can't recommend this particular unit. Have eyeballed the new Melnours but sounds like they are short of their predecessors, too.

Maybe Nelson's is the way to go?
on July 23, 2004
I couldnt hate this purchase worse, it arrived with the wheels disingaged required 1 hr repair, the spinning wands are so full of friction yu get 1/2 coverage, and the hose ultimately connects to 1/16 plastic , do the math. oh yea an the shut off valve on the undercarrige constantly shuts itself off, i had a melnor for 10 years was wonderful.,this one lasted 1 month and True value packed it like garbage
on May 4, 2007
I looked over all of these cheapy models and ended up buying the real deal. The National Walking Sprinkler is the original walking sprinkler and they also used to make the John Deere model until some idiot decided to go with the cheaper plastic one they sell here. They still make parts for the old John Deere models too. Best of all they are made in the USA in Lincoln, Nebraska. They cost a little more but are well worth the price. Make sure you arder yours with a steel gear and you will get a lifetime of service out of it. Well worth the extra money. Maybe some day John Deere will value their reputation again and have National make their sprinklers like they used to do! Hey Amazon, when are you going to offer them here?
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2006
Gilmour has improved this design over the one pictured here. The spray wands are identical to a Nelson tractor. I used this tractor to water 5500 ft² of dense bermuda grass twice a week from March until October. I can say that it did an awesome job and my lawn looked great! It worked trouble-free until entering its 8th month of service, when the internal gears stripped out. I was away on business and my wife set it up, so I'm not sure if it was just getting worn out or she did something different. ;-) This is the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars. If this worries you, I should also note my neighbor replaces the gears in his Nelson tractor about every year as well.
on June 19, 2005
Product is useless. To start with, green paint is smeared and scraped, Decals are cockeyed and coming off. After repairing cosmetics, I Hooked the sprinkler to the same hose my Nelson sprinlker is hooked to, only to find out The John Deere shuts off every 12 to 15 inches. I have to turn off water and pull stop switch down and restart sprinkler every 12 to 15 inches. In My mind, a useless product, a total waste of money.
on September 4, 2006
This thing is a sheep in wolf's clothing. I like the concept: it is designed to water large areas of your lawn by following the path of a garden hose and shutting itself off without supervision. A tough, die-cast exterior belies cheap plastic internals that broke after only a few hours of use. If you're looking for a traveling sprinkler that will last, keep looking.
on March 25, 2007
My JD tractor sprinkler lasted approximatley 40 feet during its first use, when the gears stripped on level ground with a lightweight half-inch hose. It still works as a non-traveling sprinkler, but the sound of the gears slipping (as it attempts to move) is rather annoying.
on August 28, 2004
made in China, this tractor has all sorts of problems, coverage is not as stated, plastic hose adpater, wands break with little force. Shuts off randomly, Gilmour states they are working on this. Customer Service is good. Overall, John Deere, Don't put your name on junky products.