5.0 out of 5 stars This is for the Color: Deep Brown Black 3N
Published on March 23, 2011 by Delaney

1.0 out of 5 stars Has its perks, but definitely not a keeper!
I bought the Medium Natural Blonde 8N, in the hopes of going a bit lighter. Unfortunately, the colour turned out darker than the colour on the box.

My hair before colouring:
My hair is shoulder blade length and is very thick and coarse.
Hair colour was a brassy strawberry blonde with 2 inch golden brown roots.

My hair after colouring:...
Published on December 21, 2011 by Vivacie

5.0 out of 5 stars This is for the Color: Deep Brown Black 3N, March 23, 2011
I was in an accident not too long ago and had some issues some of them neurological. The medication I have been on has caused some hair loss and color dullness among many things. As I am regrowing some of the lost hair with treatment the color is not the same. I have always had a luxurious dark color, till now. It's rather dull and not as dark. So I've given some at home hair coloring a try. It's not bad, but what I get is some patches because I also seem to have arm weakness. So on the John Frieda box, and I was already a fan of other John Frieda products, the box shows a picture that this foaming product will not have those patchy spots. I wanted to give it a try.

The steps are not new and shocking. There is a developer and coloring creme, conditioner, black gloves, a foamer top and an instruction sheet. When you mix the developer and color you don't turn the bottle upside down you tilt the bottle five times. After that you take the screw top off and put the foaming top on, you squeeze the bottle to create a softball size amount of colored foam in your palm. You always put the foam in your hand to put on your hair. The instruction booklet shows you the best way to foam your hair. You want your hair to be completely covered in foam to look foamy. I have shoulder length hair and I used 3/4 of a bottle. The color was perfect. PERFECT. It sat on my hair for 30 minutes. I rinsed it out, and then I lathered it up with the conditioner that came in the box that smelled divine. Which by the way the dye even smells a little bit yummy.

The color is great, it's even, it's shiny, it's glossy, highlighted, very natural looking. I love it. It really is very touchably beautiful. I just ordered three more boxes in high hopes that my hair regrowth treatments are going to work out successfully. I am very pleased.

***UPDATE*** I dyed my hair over 3 weeks ago with this product and I am still astounded at the color. It is just as pretty as the first day that I did it. No fade yet. I have had some hair growth so I've got some pesky roots, but the color has stayed just as lush as it was when I first dyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this! Will never use another dye! + tips for grey coverage!, December 21, 2013
After years of coloring my prematurely greying hair (have had grey since 17, am now 27), I have grown very tired of the process. I always have to get help, as I have long, thick hair, and the process has always been so messy, lengthy, and stressful. - Read on to read my tips on getting great grey coverage with this dye!

So I finally got up the nerve to try something new, and thats where the John Frieda Precision Foam Color comes in! I have been extremely happy with the application, as well as the results!
I have bra-strap length hair, that is very thick, so I bought and used 2 boxes. I had read reviews from people with "long hair", saying they only needed one box, but I bought 2 just to be safe, and I am so glad I did. With my old dye (Loreal Excellence), I had to use 3 boxes, so 2 was definitely still an improvement. 2 was actually more than enough, I probably only needed 1 1/2, but I wanted to make sure it was very well saturated, so I used ALL 2 boxes. As long as you use enough, it lathers up very nicely, and doesn't "dry up" like some reviewers said. I suspect they did not add enough foam to their hair if it was drying. You want to add enough foam that it remains looking foamy, and not just wet. This helps you really work it down to the root. I also found it MUCH easier and less messy to apply this dye, vs the traditional cream. I was able to do it alone, which I CANT say for regular cream dye. And I'm pretty sure my helper (my husband), is just as thankful for this product as I am :)
This color (4N) does turn slightly darker than pictured, but I always assume some slight fading will happen, so I don't mind at all, it is a beautiful, shiny, dark brown, without looking "flat". I do see some very very slight warm undertones, which I think are beautiful (and I don't even like red in my hair).
Upon rinsing, conditioning, and styling, my hair was shinier than it ever was with Loreal; very soft, and silky. The color is incredibly even, and there are no light patches, like was the case with my old dye.

Here are some tips that I followed for insuring grey coverage:

1- Use a shade labeled "natural" or "N", these always provide the best grey coverage.
2- If in doubt, buy an extra box. This way, you have more than enough to fully lather all of your hair, insuring no patches are missed.
3- Apply and work into the roots first, followed by the ends. You don't have to do tiny parts all over, just maybe 5 parts across the top and sides of your head, and maybe 3 parts across the back of your head. Finally, work it all into a foamy lather all over your head, being very careful to work all the way down to the roots. Once I felt all my hair was covered, I kept massaging it around for probably at least 15 minutes.
4- Cover with a plastic bag or shower cap, and start your timer for 30 minutes.
5- After covering all of your hair well with a shower cap (dont leave any bits of hair hanging out), hit it with your dryer for 10 or so minutes, and make sure to avoid any draft or cool places of your home. You want your hair to remain warm, to insure the cuticle of the grey hair remains open, and accepts the dye as well as it possibly can
6- Rinse the dye out with as cool of water as you can stand. This seals the cuticle down and helps the dye not rinse out of the grey, resistant strands.

I followed all of these and got great grey coverage, even with very resistant greys.
Overall, I can't sing the praises for this product enough! Absolutely loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hair dye on the market for redheads, March 14, 2013
I'm not a fan of dying my hair at home. It is messy, and it is not that easy to cover everything if you have long hair. I'm OK paying $80+ at a salon, but the problem is that I never found a consistent colorist I liked. Either the color was off or I was left with a visible line between my roots and the rest of the hair. Also, I experienced dripping dye, strong chemical smell and a sloppy job overall. I tried several colorists before I gave up, (no, I was not willing to pay over $100 for going from brown to red as I don't consider it to be a complicated task).
Now, with John Frieda "Radiant Reds" I get the best red color ever. It is so good that many people at the salon I go to for my haircuts comment on how beautiful my color is. They don't even suspect that I do it myself at home.

I can see how many people who are trying to go from dark to light may end up being unhappy - it is way more complicated process and usually requires the use of pretty harsh chemicals. If you pay attention to the color charts, you will see that John Frieda does not advise you to use light colors if your own hair is more than 2-3 shades darker than the color you're trying to achieve. They know it will not work. Honestly, if your own hair is dark and you want to be a beautiful blond, it is almost impossible to do it at home. You will have to find a good hair colorist. It s expensive to be a blond, especially if you want it to look somewhat natural and not bleached out and over-processed.
Also, I know it has been repeated everywhere but people still do the same mistake - do not attempt to change your color if your last coloring job happened less than 3 weeks ago. The results will be unpredictable and in the worst case scenario you may end up being pink, green or blue. Don't blame John Frieda - it is not their fault.

I used many different brands before, but as soon as I discovered this dye a few years ago I never tried anything else. As many people mentioned, foam concept is so much better than a regular dye. I think I tried pretty much all shades of radiant red they have and they all were pretty - just depends on what exactly you want to achieve as the end result. I'll be honest, looking at the box, e.g 3VR and 4R it is almost impossible to see the difference and predict how exactly it will look on you, but if you're willing to play around a little bit with shades of red, you will find the one you like the most.

A few tips:

- wear some old black T-shirt because now you can concentrate on dyeing your hair instead of worrying about ruining your clothes
- pull out face tissues and cotton balls beforehand as during the procedure your hands will be covered with dye (in my case bright red) and you will stain everything you touch
- find a bottle of cream you don't care about and generously apply it around your face, close to the hairline but not touching your hair (this hair dye is not that difficult to remove but after 25 minutes can stain you pretty nicely, and if you don't have a lot of time to spend in a bathroom afterwards, applying any cream will save you some time)
- brush your hair thoroughly and start from roots slowly moving towards your ends, especially if you are retouching - by doing this I never had any visible difference between previously dyed hair and grown roots
- do not shampoo your hair afterwards, just use the conditioner they provided (I understand this step is from the manual but I know quite a few people who are impatient and end up not reading it till the last step)
- take a snapshot of the box before you throw it out because you may forget in a month which # you used.

Good luck to everyone! I hope your hair will end up looking gorgeous and healthy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is for the color 3vr Radiant Red, Deep Cherry Brown, June 24, 2011
I have used another brand of hair color for the last 22 years, and have always had great results, so I was hesitant to try a new brand but I am very glad I did! I have dark brown hair with some grey, especially in front, and I have had trouble covering the grey before, I have to leave it on the max time and even then, some of the other colors I've tried washed out of the grey hair almost immediately.

I just did this yesterday, but here are my perceptions of this product so far:

1. The foam was very easy to use. As to another reviewer's saying the foam dried right away and was hard to work through hair, I can only conclude that she did not follow the instructions, which say to use a "tennis ball sized amount of foam" each time - when I did that this product was easy to work through my very thick, just below shoulder length hair.

2. One box of color did my entire head! Any other brand I've tried I always have to use 2 boxes, (my hair is so thick) but I am very satisfied with the color and coverage from just one box of this color. Now, I'm not bleaching or attempting to get a lighter color, if I were it could still require 2 boxes for my long length and thickness, but for the dark color it looks fabulous with just one box.

3. The foam didn't smell as bad as the other hair coloring products I've used. I actually used it in a bathroom with a small fan and didn't wake up with a headache or sore lungs the next day.

4. The total development time (including extra time for grey coverage) was 30 minutes, vs. the 40 minutes I usually endure with other hair products, another plus.

5. The color is fantastic! My hair is shiny the next day, with very little product (conditioner/shine serum) applied. The color looks natural - granted, I dye dark red on top of dark hair, so the overall effect is just dark hair with streaks of red where the grey was, but if the color lasts I will be very happy, it looks better than I thought a boxed hair color could look on my middle-aged hair.

I will update if I experience significant fade - reds are notorious for fading - but so far I am extremely happy with this purchase! I never thought I would switch from my regular brand, but I think John Frieda has a new customer!

***UPDATE*** It is now 3/25/12 -9 months later - and I wanted to update that I decided to make myself a ginnea pig and just not color my hair again until the color faded and the greys started to show again. (This was happening about every 6-8 weeks with my other permanent hair color.) Long story short, it never happened. Even though there was normal fading the greys were STILL covered after 9 months!! This is almost unbelieveable. I finally just did my whole head again, because my hair had grown out so far I had greys showing at the roots in stark contrast with the older hair. This is my hair color now - no going back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long-lasting . . . but the result is far darker than expected, April 13, 2011
I'd never attemped to use a foam hair color before, and was glad to find John Frieda's Precision Foam Color in 6G (Light Golden Brown). According to the box, this shade is very similar to my natural color (my hair was perhaps one shade darker due to a coloring early this year). The application was easy, especially given the lack of dripping dye. I timed it as suggested, and then rinsed out my hair. I thought that surely it looked incredibly dark because it was wet . . . but, nope, it was significantly darker and redder than I would have thought possible. More than three weeks on, it's changed a bit to more of a bronze and less of a deep auburn, but it certainly doesn't look anything like the color on the box. However, the color still appears rich rather than faded, and my hair is in fantastic shape. I would not hesitate to use this brand again BUT I will choose a shade that looks lighter than what I want, given how this first try turned out.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more funky Yellow Blonde!, March 18, 2011
So, usually when I attempt to color my hair at home I end up with an emergency trip to the salon...the next morning to fix the UGLY yellow color that I end up with. But I have little time and money to spend on getting my hair done professionaly so I decided to give this foam color one shot. It actually turned out! My color looks like a natural color! Not Yellow or orange or something funky! I managed to do this while my kids were taking a nap even! I really Love the foam. It gives you NICE coverage and keeps your hair nice and moist. Some color mixes feel like they hardley give you enough to get your hair fully saturated.
I did the roots for the first 10 min and then pulled through the ends for an additonal 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Color 5R, Medium Red Brown, November 2, 2011
(Originally posted 11/2/11. Update from 2/17/12 below.)

I have been using 6R shades since beginning to dye my hair a year ago. My hair was naturally a reddish mid- to light-brown with red highlights, but I wanted it to be a red or brownish red instead, and so it has been. I have tried many brands and kinds of boxed dyes and of course managed screwing up once, but learned my lesson (on previously-dyed hair, don't leave dye on the ends for a long period of time if the ends are near the shade you were looking for, or the top will be drastic and the bottom will be dull).

I thought of going a little darker with the red and trying the foam (shade 5R), and am not at all disappointed. My results: in incandescent light my hair is brown with a little red, in fluorescent light my hair is brown, and in sunlight my hair is very slightly more brown than the red on the box. It's a very natural red-brown, definitely red but without being in your face about it. I am quite pleased.
I dye my hair once every 1-2 months, and have hair of medium thickness and waist-length. I do need two boxes to cover all of my hair well, but it was easy to spread. I used the dye on hair which had been washed two days prior and not conditioned, for the sake of avoiding product buildup making dyeing a hassle. I followed the instructions for already-dyed hair, even though I was going slightly darker - I saturated the roots for ten minutes, and saturated the rest in addition for another ten. When I rinsed it out I was a little worried about it being uneven from top to bottom, but it's even all over. If I had tweaked the timing slightly, my hair would likely be exactly the shade on the box when in sunlight.

As far as fading goes, I feel that it has much more to do with how you treat your hair than how well the dye dyes. I will likely be happy with my shade for a month and a half or so, as I'll have roots soon and the color will fade (hey, it's red, that's what red dye does, no getting around it).

For reference, I use a mild shampoo every two to three days, condition each time, always use cool water, and once in a while spread out the shampooing process with baking soda and oatmeal. I use leave-in conditioners, and I very rarely use a hair dryer (maybe once a month, if that) and never a straightener (I have pin-straight hair). I get it trimmed every few months, though it could use it more often. I do sometimes run out of patience and drag a brush through it or rake snarls out when it's wet, and I catch it in straps of bags and such all the time. My hair isn't in perfect condition, but it's not fried to bits either.

Unless some awful change happens in the next month, I expect to be using this brand again. Simply put, I love the ease of use of the foam, the shade, and the even-colored results; it works with my hair. Other brands have done wonders for other people, but for my hair and color choice, this is my favorite of all of the ones which I have tried.

Update, 2/17/12.

I have continued to use the 5R shade and I've been very, very happy. For my hair, there is less fading with this red than with other brands, which is a definite plus. A few hours ago I used shade 4R (again on only-shampooed hair from two days prior) - it is a darker medium brown which looks very red in light of any kind. It covered evenly with the "roots for ten minutes, ends for ten minutes" method that I am used to. I think I love it even more than the 5R shade, which had already stolen my heart.

Further thoughts -
I do still need two boxes to cover my hair, but that's expected with waist-length, medium-thickness hair. The dye rinses out well and the smell does not linger. The smell during the dyeing process is mild in comparison to other dyes, and the foam application is very easy. The included conditioner makes my hair feel absolutely amazing and soft and the smell does not bother me; I am often allergic to included conditioners, so this is a big plus. My skin is not left with horrendous splotches for more than a partial day of fade-out, either, and I am very pale and as such prone to discoloration from dyes (note: I don't use the petroleum jelly method). My hair is healthier overall than it had been with use of other brands, and that combined with the color results is making me a dedicated customer.

I am 20 years of age with Scottish (very pale, lightly freckled, suited to a natural red hair color) skin and no grey in my hair, and I have been dyeing my hair regularly since January of 2011 (as mentioned, once every 1-2 months). My hair is in relatively good condition, and was originally a more-brown shade close to the red I was going for. For my hair type, going to a more-red but similar shade, and then to a slightly darker red shade, this dye is absolutely perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Brown Shade Review, April 9, 2011
I picked this up deciding to try the new foam craze in hair dye that just recently started. I've been dying my hair most of my life so any innovations is always great. The foam is definitely super easy and even though i have long past the shoulder length hair - i still had plenty of product left over. It doesn't drip like most hair dyes do but more importantly! It covers all your hair completely. Usually with the regular hair dye, even with two boxes - the dye would not get to every hair and i would have some spotting underneath. This doesn't happen with the foam, it soaks in and covers all the hair easily. The smell isn't too strong like typical dyes but not very pleasant either. Washing it out is very easy, didn't take much rinsing and also didn't seem to leave hair as dry as typical dyes do.

Now to the negative part of this product, the conditioner! The conditioner is easy to use and leaves hair silky, however I found myself to be allergic to the ingredients in it. They always say test for allergic reaction to the dye, but never the conditioner. I normally use natural ingredient conditioners, no harmful toxins. So whatever was in this conditioner didn't sit with me well. Even after rinsing again twice the next day, i could not get the "smell" of the conditioner out, and unfortunately had to deal with allergic reaction of drippy nose and watery eyes for maybe 36 hours after. Needless to say I did not use the 2nd round of the conditioner and probably will be trying other foam dyes the next time I dye my hair. Other than that, it works very well.

Other cons are the price is a bit higher than other foam dyes, I assume you are paying for the "John Freida" name. Also the current color choices are limited but perhaps those will increase as people become more familiar with the foam. Overall it is a good hair dye that is not fading easily and is not over drying to the hair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Has its perks, but definitely not a keeper!, December 21, 2011

My hair before colouring:
My hair is shoulder blade length and is very thick and coarse.
Hair colour was a brassy strawberry blonde with 2 inch golden brown roots.

My hair after colouring:
Now looks like their 6N Light Natural Brown, only it's a bit more golden/red.
Did not provide complete overall colour. My roots are a shade darker than the rest of my hair.

The hair colour doesn't look terrible, but neither does it look like the colour I was supposed to be getting.

Overall experience:

* I LOVE the foam. It was super easy and took just minutes to apply the dye to my hair. The foam did start to run when the waiting time started.
* Unlike other hair colouring products, I DID NOT have to separate my hair into parts. That was a major plus.
* I like that the foam is suitable for people with longer hair. I had enough left to cover another persons head. Using one box is a miracle for my hair. I usually have to use two!
* Like other dyes, the smell is a bit overwhelming. I think it's more so than other dyes I've used.
* The instructions were a little vague. I wasn't sure how to dispense the product. I thought maybe the top would pop up and the squeezing was just to get the air out. To those who are confused about how to dispense the product (like I was): Just SQUEEZE the bottle.
* The after conditioner is not as conditioning compared to other products. I feel that my hair could have been softer after using.
* I did not have trouble with the foam staining my skin- in fact, I colour my hair WITHOUT using gloves and my fingers are not stained!

While definitely being easier to use than other dyes I've tried, I'm not particularly satisfied with the outcome at the price I paid for it. I love John Frieda products, but the foam colour is a definite pass the next time I go hair colouring shopping.

Edit: December 27- I have noticed a significant colour change in the last few days. The dye is slowly washing out and fading back to the colour I had it before. Note: I do wash my hair every day.
Also, the tiny bottle of conditioner only lasted me two uses.

Edit: January 13, 2012- 3 weeks after hair coloring- Dye has completely faded and I am back to the color I started with before using the Precision Foam Colour. I am very disappointed.

Edit: January 30, 2012- I was gifted a coupon for a free box and decided to try it once more. I got the 6.5PBN Lightest Cool Almond Brown (Salon Selects).
* The brown definitely covered better than the blonde.
* Turned out darker than the box with a tiny bit more red.
* Product stained hands this time.
* I still DO NOT like the conditioner that comes with it.

Overall, I'm still not willing to give the Precision Foam another chance or higher rating.

Edit: February 19, 2012- Last edit.
In less than 3 weeks time, my hair colour is back to a blonde. The color has faded that much! There is a clear colour difference in the first 4 inches of my hair compared to the rest of it.
I'm so disappointed in John Frieda for allowing a hair colour that is supposed to be "permanent" when it is obviously not, to be advertised as such.
My rating has been lowered from 2 stars, to 1 star.

Stay far away from this product!

2.0 out of 5 stars not Light Golden Brown color?, May 3, 2011
Good easy to use product but not light at all- should be med or dark golden brown, Shockingly dark? hoping it fades to a lighter brown after a few washings? feels great but wrong color?

John Frieda Precision Foam Colour, Light Natural Blonde 9N