1,857 Reviews
 (1,031)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new product!!
Published on October 15, 2011 by NMKITTY

2.0 out of 5 stars Returning it
Published on December 31, 2011 by E. Siemens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new product!!, October 15, 2011
NMKITTY (EDGEWOOD, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Frieda Salon Shape 1.5 Inch Hot Air Brush (Health and Beauty)
My Wigo hot air brush has given up the ghost, and doesn't seem to be carried by anyone any longer. I searched for possible alternatives for my shoulder length defiantly STRAIGHT layered hair, and found the same old products, which I have tried and am not impressed with. Instead, I found this new hot air brush by John Frieda, and it is WONDERFUL. I received it 3 days ago, and I am truly enjoying using it. The picture doesn't really show this, but it has two types of bristles; one is longer, stiffer and has rounded ends, and a short set of normal softer bristles. This brush head really grabs my hair and guides it around the brush - no more slithering out of the brush head, and burned fingers from trying to guide my hair around the brush. It doesn't tangle my hair, releases easily, and I am not ending up with any fuzzy, kinked ends from not having wrapped my hair around the brush properly before setting the curl. The high heat setting isn't too hot, so it doesn't burn my scalp, and it has a cool setting (that is a little bit hard to find) that helps set the curl. It does have a little seam in the housing that caught my hair initially and pulled out a few hairs - I think I might seal that with epoxy, and I would love it if this brush came in a 1 1/4 inch barrel size. My hair looks like my hairdresser blow dried it after using this product - even in the back - and the curl and body last all day!! I am buying another as a spare/travel hot air brush.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good for simplifying hair drying routine, June 17, 2013
Jameson (In the SW desert) - See all my reviews
See my review on the other top hot air brush contender here, Infinitipro Spin Air Rotating Styler, Black: http://www.amazon.com/review/ROMGY956S8H6L/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004INUWX0&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

I'm no beginner when it comes to hair tools but I've never been able to master the art of a blow dryer and a round brush. Randomly I ran across this product as well as the Conair Infinitipro styler. Initially I thought this rotated like the Conair version but it does not. Turns out what I thought I wanted doesn't work like I expected and the John Frieda version is much, much better.

If you don't want to read the whole review the bottom line is this: For a true salon quality looking blow out, go with the John Frieda device and NOT the Conair rotating hair brush.

---- After several comments, I'd like to add that your mileage will probably vary according to your hair type. I have long (mid-back), semi-thick wavy hair. This may have something to do with why the different stylers had such different results. The Conair just couldn't get through my hair----

I did a (literal) side by side comparison of the Infinitipro Spin Air Rotating Styler, Black and the John Frieda JFHA5 Hot Air Brush, 1.5 inch. Let's just say after 30 minutes or so on one side with the Infinitipro brush, I gave up. That was even on the side that I typically find easier to style. The side that's more difficult I tackled with the John Frieda brush and then went back to fix what the Infinitipro just couldn't do. I did all that in the time it took me to get less than mediocre results with the one side of the Infinitipro brush. Anywho, the overall summary of the John Frieda device:

Pros:
- The hair dryer actually does a decent job of drying while it styles
- The bristles are sturdy and add shine but also allows for more precision in defining layers and getting the curl right where you want it
- No tangles!
- Controls frizz and makes it easy to avoid the weird waves and curls that occur near the roots with traditional hair drying. Even easy to get the back of your head!
- Can easily maneuver different sections of hair without having to put the brush down. Although this sounds really basic and a bit silly, I didn't appreciate it until I tried the Conair rotating brush where I had to put it down then very carefully section out hair so random hairs wouldn't get caught in the spinning frenzy.
- I have long, naturally wavy hair that is fine but there's lots of it. Unlike most tools, brushes, etc. the JF brush had no problem managing the layers and truly making it look like the beautiful end curling that you get in a true blow out. I went back and fixed the frizzy mess the Conair did to my hair with the JF brush.
- Light and easy to maneuver.

Cons:
- The tip on the top gets very hot. Although I don't need it often, it would be nice if this was some sort of heat resistant or silicon coated topper so when I need to hold it for certain angles, I can.
- I wish the actual brush area was a little bit longer- just a smidge. It does the job though

Why the John Frieda brush is better than the Conair Infinitipro rotating brush:
- Easy to handle, easy to maneuver, and fits in your hand. The Infinitipro is clunky, large, and more often than not, I found myself hitting the wrong darn button and creating a crazy unexpected rat's nest
- It's pretty darn fast whereas the Conair took FOREVER and didn't even do a good job. Like I said above, I used the JF to fix the frizz & limp looking curls caused by the Conair
- Brush bristles are stiffer but still do not tangle. The more rigid bristles allow for better defined curls & layers as well as more control over the angles and getting the smooth, straight look of a blow out
- Although the hair dryer probably won't replace the power of your typical hair dryer, the John Frieda is leaps and bounds better than the Conair. Parts of my hair, especially near the roots, was still slightly damp after using the Infinitipro for nearly 30 minutes on only one side. The JF brush took care of that in a few minutes.

All in all, don't waste your time wondering about the Infinitipro, just go with the John Frieda brush. It is leaps and bounds better.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. Finally, a good dryer brush!, December 12, 2013
Length:: 4:01 Mins

FINALLY!! A dryer brush that works as good as, or better, than my old one! I just got this today and couldn't wait to try it out. The reviews indicated that it was worth the purchase, and it IS.

4 years ago my trusty old conair dryer brush fell apart. I've been through 3 dryer brushes since then, none of which worked worth a darn, and didn't hold out much hope of finding one at all that would work with my thick longish hair.

Well...my hair looks fabulous...BETTER than when I get it done at the salon. Seems no one at the salon ever listens to me and does my hair *exactly* the way I like it. Don't have to worry about that anymore. I can go back to doing it myself, and it looks just the way I want it. My hair is slightly curly and when left to air dry, it gets frizzy...and if they don't dry it COMPLETELY at the salon...it gets frizzy. No worries with this - I dry it until it slips through the bristles like silk and I know it's perfect. The bristles on this brush are really great with my hair. Most of the ones I've tried in the past few years have "hair type bristles" that will not go all the way through my hair and are a real pain. The bristles on this are a combination of hair and hard plastic bristles...exactly what is needed for thick hair...they work great.

I saw where several people complained about the controls...I didn't find that to be a problem for me at all. They are right at the perfect place where I can easily slide it from low to high or to cool. I usually only use high anyway, but I didn't think it was an issue.

I will post a video review when I get time.

LOVE this product!

*ADDED COMMENT* January 15, 2015: I am still using this dryer brush and still love it! I am purchasing one for my Mom, in fact. I would love to add a couple of before/after pics, but cannot figure out how to do that. This is the only drying tool I use, and 98% of the time, except for heat protectant, I don't use mousse or any other product to make my hair behave, and it's always perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this time..., April 10, 2013
Just like any new/different appliance, you will need to give yourself time to learn how to use this; once you learn the techniques you'll love it! I was pretty disappointed the first time I used it, but discovered the best way to use it (for me, at least). Most important? FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and wait until your hair is mostly (80%) dry - seriously. This thing is not very powerful; if your hair is mostly wet you'll be wasting your time. After towel-drying, comb through then do whatever else you need to do - drink your coffee, check your email, apply your makeup, etc. Don't leave your hair wrapped up in the towel, it will take longer to air dry.

When you're ready, put your index fingers at the top of your ears and slide them straight back, horizontally under your hair to the back of your head until your fingers meet; put all of the hair above your fingers into a clip at the top of your head. Focus only on the hair that's left hanging. Grab a section of it, turn the brush on to "high" and glide slowly through your hair (either above or below your hair, depending on the look you want) from roots to about an inch or two from the ends (don't brush through the ends!). While the hair is still in the brush, hold that hank of hair with your other hand and repeat this step until that length of hair is COMPLETELY dry, maybe 3-4 slow passes. On the final pass-through, continue all the day through the ends, curling the brush very slowly. Continue these steps on all of the hair that's hanging down. When it is completely dry, remove the clip, put your index fingers at your eyebrows, slide to the back of your head and clip up that hair. Then follow the same steps as above to dry the hair that's now hanging down. Once you have done this to your entire head, keep running the brush through your hair (I've always left it on "high", so I don't know if "low" or "cool" will work differently) until it is COMPLETELY dry - that is very important. As you work your way up your head, it will feel like each section of hair is dry, but when you think you're all done, run your fingers through your hair - odds are it will still be very slightly damp under the thickest parts. Just keep brushing as if you were using a regular brush. If your hair is not completely dry, it will get frizzy. When I'm done, I put 2 small squirts of Frizz Ease Hair Syrum in my palms, rub them together, then run my hands down the entire length of my hair, crown to tips, focusing mostly on the ends and the areas where my layers stop.

I spend about 5 more minutes using this dryer as opposed to my old hairdryer. After having kids, my normally stick-straight hair became wavy and frizzy; the only way to control it was to blowdry and use a curling iron. I don't have to use a curling iron after I'm done using this brush (I probably still would for special occasions though), and I've cut the time I spend on my hair every morning in half.

Some reviewers had problems, saying the brush quit working not long after purchase. There is a 3-year warranty on it, so I did make sure I saved my receipt. The only "con" I've found is that it's really easy to accidentally slide the switch from "high" to "cool" as you're working, and if you're not paying close attention you might not notice it right away. The switch needs to be a little tighter so that this doesn't happen so often. Oh, and the coupon for Frizz-Ease Shampoo and Conditioner that was included in the box was already expired :( Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this brush.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this hot air brush!, December 14, 2011
Although I spend quite a while doing my makeup most days, my frizzy, fine, semi-wavy hair has led to years and years of letting it air-dry and then pulling it back with a clip or ponytail holder to just get it the heck out of the way. Enter this hot air brush. I have had this product for a few weeks now, and I use it every morning and *love* it! It dries and styles my hair simultaneously and does so fairly quickly. I can now dry and style my hair with just one hand as I build great volume and lift and get great smooth flips incredibly easily. The bristles in addition to the plastic prongs mean the dryer grabs and actually holds on to my hair, whereas I typically need to hold my hair on as I use a styler.

The few things I would change would be the button and the tip. The slider button works just fine, but I think a button might be easier as you transition from heat to cool, to set the gentle curls. When drying the back of my head, I often reach to stabilize the styler and keep it level, so I can tell you that the tip gets very hot! I am sure there is a reason they made it with the material they did, but I would like to see them coat it with a material that remains cool to the touch. It would also be great if the cord retracted, though I fear they would need to make the barrel larger for this.

I cannot recommend this product highly enough to those who are looking for a product that will dry their hair as it adds volume and body. I love it and, when it inevitably wears out some day, I will most definitely be purchasing another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised. Great for Short to Medium Fine hair., November 7, 2014
I purchase a lot of products from Amazon and never leave reviews. But this product deserves one. I'm a guy with short to medium fine blonde hair but lots of it. I don't need super high heat and tons of air to get the volume necessary for my quiff style hair cut and this product does just the job. I was very skeptical given that it doesn't have a ton of air blowing and it's not overly hot but it styles my hair absolutely perfectly. I use a little volume gel/sea salt spray and then dry & style with this and voila! I have a great head of hair all day. Highly recommended for this hair type.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner, March 30, 2012
Alexandra (Sterling, VA) - See all my reviews
The best $40 I've spent in a long time. I have thin, fine hair cut into a layered chin length bob. I've never been able to get the hang of a round brush and blow dryer, so I used to style my hair with a variety of tools and it took forever. Now this is the only styler on my bathroom counter! When used with a good spray mousse, it gets close enough to the scalp to build volume at the root -- without burning your skin. I'm not sure it would be the best choice for very thick, coarse, or long hair, but if you have a fine bob, the John Frieda is definitely worth a try.

2.0 out of 5 stars Returning it, December 31, 2011
I was really excited to get this product because, as far as I can tell, it is the only hot air brush on the market with such a large brush head. I bought it while visiting family and spent well more than Amazon sells it for so I could have it right away. It's a very nice appliance with one important exception, it is seriously underpowered at 500 watts. My Jilbere Hot Air Brush is 1000 watts and works great with the exception of the small diameter brush head. If only the John Frieda brush had increased the wattage, I would keep this and be a happy owner. Until then, it takes too long to dry my hair, even from damp, and with the extended exposure to heat, it will likely cause excessive damage as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works even for a klutz like me, July 21, 2014
J9 "odd won" (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
What a great tool! I'm clumsy as heck and just can't seem to get the hang of using a blow dryer + brush to get a flip in my hair and this tool takes care of that. The bristles grab a hunk of my hair and I can easily roll it up onto the barrel. I was worried that this Hot Air Brush wouldn't release my hair easily, but it does. My hair has never gotten stuck on the barrel and I've been using this for 3 months or so now. (My hair is shoulder length, and is fine and thick.)

I discovered that if I follow the directions, this Hot Air Brush works even better, go figure. I started by using the high setting for everything, thinking higher=better. What I found is that high speed works great for getting excess moisture out of my hair quickly, then when my hair is almost dry I switch to the low setting to style my hair. To me it seems to style better, easier and with no frizz using the low setting. Others may have a different experience, but that's what works best on my hair.

This tool has been a great find for me and is still going strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have both this and the Conair SpinBrush..., September 25, 2013
...and I like them both! They are just different. I will try to describe those differences here to help people who are trying to decide between the two.

Conair SpinBrush: I have had this one for about a year now, and once I figured out the rotation directions (after only a few uses) it's a breeze to use. I have never had it get tangled in my hair, but I also do not use the spinning feature constantly since my hair is fine textured and that would just result in static, frizz, and probably some breakage. I mainly use the spin feature to "grab" onto my hair, then let it sit for a few seconds to create shape and volume, then spin the opposite direction to release. I usually only use the low setting, and it gets plenty warm enough to do what I need without being overly hot. I don't find the unit heavy or uncomfortable to use, though I only use it to finish shaping my hair when it's mostly (90%) dry. It's a 2" brush so it is larger than my new 1.5" John Frieda Hot Air Brush, but it worked great on my medium-long hair. However, I recently cut my hair back into a chin-length bob, so it's a little too large to work on my shorter hair for right now.

John Frieda Hot Air Brush: I purchased this one to try with my shorter haircut and have had it about a week, so here are my initial reactions in comparison to the SpinBrush: (1) I don't miss the spinning because I don't find it necessary -- the bristles of this brush "grab" my hair just fine without it, and (2) it is definitely hotter, since I have only used the low setting on it as well. Due to the heat and smaller size, this one seems to make a more defined curl at the bottom of my hair, and since I can get it closer to the roots I get more volume there as well. In fact, the first time I tried it I made my hair HUGE!

So overall, based on my experience with both products I would recommend them for fine to medium textured hair, and definitely one of the JF brushes if your hair is above your shoulders. Those with longer, thicker hair may be able to take more advantage of the continuous spinning feature of the Conair, but I can't really speak to that. The Conair's bristles are a bit softer so it needs its spinning feature to really get ahold of the hair, while the JF brush is more like a regular round brush. They are both great products for those of us who have never bothered mastering the round brush blowout technique!

John Frieda Salon Shape 1.5 Inch Hot Air Brush