Customer Discussions > Continuum forum

John Mayer Waiting On The World

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 27, 2006 5:57:19 PM PDT
S. Agosta says:
Anyone familiar with The Vaughan Brothers Family Style CD will see that John Mayers"Waiting On The World To Change" is a blatant ripoff of The Vaughan Brothers "tick Tock".Give It a listen. Jeff A.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2006 8:55:17 PM PDT
Jen says:
I don't know about that..but John Mayer himself has admitted that he ripped off Curtis Mayfield's "We're a Winner" for his new single. The melody is almost exactly the same. I don't understand how he could get away w/it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2006 3:03:28 PM PDT
painter66 says:
I see, and "Jen" is the spokesperson for John Mayer Music Inc....where do you think Led Zeppelin, Cream, and 50 other rock bands from the 60's and 70's got their blues from? Do a little homework and you may discover the very thin line between "inspiration" and "plagiarism".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2006 6:32:52 PM PDT
S. Agosta says:
Okay,Im Sorry.Trying to set things right.Not that John Mayer needs my apology.He's still selling music,with my daughter being one of the buyers.There was no reason for me to be so harsh in my previous posting.I once heard John put down the American Idols and I didn't like him after that.But very recently I was surprised to read that he has co-written a song with Idols'Taylor Hicks.Anyway my point is we sometimes say things we regret.John Mayer is obviously influenced by Stevie Ray Vaughan and other musicians.With that there will be some similarities in their songs.I am actually glad that there are some artists out there trying to keep blues-rock alive.Keep it up,maybe I'll be buying the next one. Jeff A.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2006 10:45:52 PM PDT
Bearicus says:
Mayer is making good music. There's no originality anymore since every possible kind of progression of music has already been made. John mayer is very talented and all his influences from other great artist you mentioned has been passed down to him. He's just evolving good music. We should be so lucky that this new generation still keeping this kind of music.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2006 1:01:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2006 1:02:19 AM PDT
K. Marable says:
Yes, John does "rip off" the tunes of songs sometimes, but he's very good about giving credit where credit is due. And while I feel that Madonna and Destiny's Child pale considerably in comparison to John Mayer, they have both use the EXACT same music of previously recorded songs in two of their songs (Madonna 'ripped off' an ABBA song for 'Caught Up' and Destiny's Child used a Fleetwood Mac song as the background for 'Bootylicious') As long as credit is given where it should be, I find no problem in John "re-using" something ... he's done well with it and the songs are of high quality and should be re-used. The sad part comes in when people think everything he does is completely original.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2006 1:01:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 8, 2006 1:03:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2006 5:11:42 PM PDT
Rockin' Dave says:
What's great about John Mayer is that he is continuing a musical style (that requires far more talent than anything you'll hear on top 40)and spreading that style to a very diverse age range. Ask a youngster who enjoys top 40 if they're familiar with Stevie Ray Vaughan, and they'll give you a disappointing no most every time. But, they've heard Stevie Ray, Clapton, Robert Johnson through John Mayer...and that is my folks..awesome. Let's encourage real talent.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2006 11:27:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2006 11:29:22 PM PDT
anon4 says:
I agree totally, Rockin' Dave.
99.9% of musicans are influenced by what they love to listen to. Most everytime I play a solo on guitar some Clapton will creep in. Cant help it. I grew up with him and he was a heavy influence. Basically so what. Even Clapton who has his style is almost always using his influences.
S.Agosta, my respect for your second post. Very nice and thought out.
I'm buying this CD because OF his using his influences. Cant wait to hear his style of SRV or Hendrix.
Enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2006 10:29:45 AM PDT
First of all, where do you get off comparing John Mayer to Madonna and Destiny's Child? They are all three very different musicians with their own different sounds.

Secondly, Madonna gave credit to ABBA for the sample she used in "Hung Up" (not 'caught up' as you so ignorantly posted) and the writers of "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie (A Man After Midnight)" were incredibly excited to let her use that sample. Madonna is only the second artist they have ever let sample one of their songs.

Destiny's Child also gave credit for using the "Edge Of Seventeen" sample in their song "Bootylicious". Stevie Nicks (the writer of "Edge Of Seventeen") also made an appearance in the video for "Bootylicious".

Thirdly, the "Thank Yous" page in John Mayer's "Continuum" CD notes that "Eric Clapton knows I steal from him time to time and he's still cool with it." I'm sure it's the same all around.

Get your facts straight before you go dogging other artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2007 8:28:47 PM PST
Dylan Key says:
Tick Tock and WOTWTC (Mayer's got a thing for long song titles) both sound similar in their finished version. But its interesting to see the evolution of WOTWTC throughout the recording process (by listening to live cuts etc.) and really the only similarity is the beat of the tamberines which were initially different from Tick Tock.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2007 12:46:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2007 4:36:17 PM PDT
Jay says:
Mayer is an obvious wannabe. Many of his songs are slightly modified versions of songs from some of the past great bluesplayers.

If you want to hear an almost note for note ripoff of Mayer's (Waiting On The World To Change), just listen to the Curtis Mayfield song "People Get Ready"... and listen to the Jeff Beck / Rod Stewart version. They aren't just close... Mayer's is like singing the same song only changing the lyrics and tempo a bit.

The least this bozo could do is just do it as a cover in tribute to the real artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2007 8:18:14 PM PDT
taste one says:
John Mayer needs to be sued...
keeping blues-rock alive--
no he is killing it...
he has very little talent and is marketing ploy dreamed up by music execs...from teeny booper pop to "blues" man....
yeah right....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 11:03:08 AM PST
Robert Mac says:
Amen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2008 4:51:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2008 4:55:32 PM PDT
Art says:
Give me a break. WOTWTC sounds like People Get Ready and Tick Tock? Sure, and so do a hundred other pop blues tunes. Of course there are similarities. It's not like there's a lot of variety in this genre of music. The only real breakthrough in the past decade or so has been Vaughn, and his sound still adhered to the standard blues formula. All Mayer is doing is refining the same soulful blues sound that players like B.B. King and Clapton before him have been shaping for years. In fact, this is no different than what Clapton has been doing on most of his recent work, a lot of which sounds lackluster compared to Continuum. I give Mayer credit for breathing new life into a genre that needed a boost, and come on, nobody including him is claiming that this is some new, completely original sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 10:36:42 AM PDT
Gina Mero says:
I was a huge SRV fan. Followed him all over Texas in high school and most of college until he met his tragic end. I heard this tune on the radio for the first time and thought, "Wow! He did a cover of SVR's 'tick-tock.' I won't apologize for it. Before anyone knocks you for saying that they should listen to SVR's song. I hear a heavy SVR influence in the Los Lonely Boys as well but nothing I ever considered a rip off.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Continuum forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Aug 27, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Continuum
Continuum by John Mayer (Audio CD - 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (621)