Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 8, 2008
If you are a "fan" of John Paul the Great as I am, you must have this treasure! If you are a Christian rooted in Scriptue that wants to put together the topic of Christianity and the mystery of suffering in our spiritual walk, you must add this book to your collection. If you are suffering in any way, physical, emotional or spiritual, and feel angry at God, and seek consolation, strength and freedom from anger, the writings and witness of this holy man will empower you to embrace this cross and move toward spiritual heights. I can't think of anyone who would not greatly benefit from this book, as we all have suffering invade our life at some time or we know of someone struggling and in pain of whatever kind. This is also a great book for clergy and caregivers of those who suffer.
on November 30, 2008
Robert G. Schroeder's book takes the late John Paul II's apostolic letter Salvifici Doloris and presents it in a series of easily understandable lessons. Readers will learn lessons like "To live is to suffer," "Not all suffering is punishment," and "Jesus gives pain purpose." What C.S. Lewis called "the problem of pain" is for many the greatest stumbling block to belief in God. Catholics are blessed to have 2,000 years of spiritual wisdom to draw from in their attempt to "solve" this problem. When my father died two years ago, I recall taking great comfort from the Holy Father's letter. Thanks to this book, that letter will be accessible to a greater number of Christians. Highly recommended.
on September 4, 2009
Schroeder confronts the hard facts of suffering, but does so with the great tenderness befitting the legacy of Pope John Paul II. The book uplifts rather than burdens the reader, especially in the final chapters which focus on what we can do with, and in response to, suffering in our lives. Personal stories, scripture, and thoughts from other writers are utilized well and help balance the existential questions with real-life experience. Without denying the harsh realities of pain, Schroeder deepens the reader's awareness of God's redemptive love. A very good book for someone in the midst of trial.
on June 3, 2015
I'd like to give zero stars, but that option is not open. The book claims to be an explanation of John Paul II's letter, SALVIFICI DOLORIS. Don't waste your time with imitations. The original is written by the master himself, is clearer and more concise, and, best yet, is based firmly on the Bible and Tradition. The original is available by googling the title or going to the Vatican website. Don't waste your time with, or be led astray by, imitations. Read the original.
on October 19, 2015
I found the title to be misleading: "John Paul II and the Meaning of Suffering"? I've been reading my purchased copy and soon found that the book is largely Robert Schroeder's views on the 'meaning of suffering', who then merely uses as supporting foot notes Saint John Paul the Great's words to support key points and the title. I did not find anything objectionable to Mr. Schroeder's views, but I was disappointed to find that, in my view, Saint John Paul the Great is not the main content contributor as the title may infer.
on December 15, 2015
Pope John Paul II 's booklet on the Meaning of Suffering is very difficult to understand. However, I sensed that the Pope was sharing something about the meaning of suffering in relation to Nazi Germany, terrorism, babies dying, mental illness, death, etc. Does God redeem suffering?

Robert Schroeder's book helps to explain some of what the Pope is sharing. I am beginning to understand that the Lord Jesus allows those who love Him, and those who are suffering, to give our suffering as a sacrifice in order to help the Lord to continue His completion of the death of evil.
on July 27, 2009
I'm old enough to admit that I've had my share of experiences that turned my life upside down and made me wonder if I'd ever recover. Rob Schroeder offered me the opportunity to travel with him and others through the questions and concerns of a person confronted with unexpected obstacles, pain and suffering. Biblical citations and Christian teachings articulated by Pope John Paul II, as well as contemporary references are utilized to offer both hope and reasons to keep trying, even in the worst of circumstances. The rhythm and melody of the writing style along with interwoven personal stories and skillfully selected images make for enjoyable reading despite the weighty topic addressed. I recommend this book to anyone who could use a faith based reflection on suffering for themselves or to encourage others.
on June 12, 2013
If you are struggling with trials and tribulations in your life, allow this book to clarify the difficult situation, and put it into the perspective of Jesus and his intense suffering on the cross. It relates to us how through the Eucharist we are in communion with Christ and his suffering on the cross.

Are there any quick fixes to suffering? No. But that is the point, one needs to endure and persevere, and to know that many have suffered much worse before you, and many will suffer after you. Instead of running from the suffering and your cross in life -- embrace it as Jesus did and use it as a means of redemptive suffering.

I highly recommend this book.
on July 18, 2008
Easy reading and great information. The author shares his experience with lifes suffering accompanied by PJPII's Salvific Daloris. I would have liked more of the Popes words and less of the author. It does give some basic insight to Christian suffering.
Its a good beginning to understanding why people suffer backed up with words of Jesus and church doctrine.
on July 17, 2012
This book I would recommend to anyone struggling with a loss or anyone who has ever wondered what God would allow suffering in this world. I