Published on May 8, 2008 by Anthony J. Salomone Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but not as in depth as I would like
Easy reading and great information. The author shares his experience with lifes suffering accompanied by PJPII's Salvific Daloris. I would have liked more of the Popes words and less of the author. It does give some basic insight to Christian suffering.
Its a good beginning to understanding why people suffer backed up with words of Jesus and church doctrine.
Published on July 18, 2008 by Chris Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars JOHN PAUL II AND THE MEANING OF SUFFERING:LESSONS FROM A SPIRITUAL MASTER, May 8, 2008
This review is from: John Paul II and the Meaning of Suffering: Lessons from a Spiritual Master (Paperback)
If you are a "fan" of John Paul the Great as I am, you must have this treasure! If you are a Christian rooted in Scriptue that wants to put together the topic of Christianity and the mystery of suffering in our spiritual walk, you must add this book to your collection. If you are suffering in any way, physical, emotional or spiritual, and feel angry at God, and seek consolation, strength and freedom from anger, the writings and witness of this holy man will empower you to embrace this cross and move toward spiritual heights. I can't think of anyone who would not greatly benefit from this book, as we all have suffering invade our life at some time or we know of someone struggling and in pain of whatever kind. This is also a great book for clergy and caregivers of those who suffer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Salvifici Doloris for Dummies, November 30, 2008
Rich Leonardi (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Robert G. Schroeder's book takes the late John Paul II's apostolic letter Salvifici Doloris and presents it in a series of easily understandable lessons. Readers will learn lessons like "To live is to suffer," "Not all suffering is punishment," and "Jesus gives pain purpose." What C.S. Lewis called "the problem of pain" is for many the greatest stumbling block to belief in God. Catholics are blessed to have 2,000 years of spiritual wisdom to draw from in their attempt to "solve" this problem. When my father died two years ago, I recall taking great comfort from the Holy Father's letter. Thanks to this book, that letter will be accessible to a greater number of Christians. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear-eyed and kind-hearted, September 4, 2009
Schroeder confronts the hard facts of suffering, but does so with the great tenderness befitting the legacy of Pope John Paul II. The book uplifts rather than burdens the reader, especially in the final chapters which focus on what we can do with, and in response to, suffering in our lives. Personal stories, scripture, and thoughts from other writers are utilized well and help balance the existential questions with real-life experience. Without denying the harsh realities of pain, Schroeder deepens the reader's awareness of God's redemptive love. A very good book for someone in the midst of trial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing the journey through life's obstacles with fellow travelers, July 27, 2009
I'm old enough to admit that I've had my share of experiences that turned my life upside down and made me wonder if I'd ever recover. Rob Schroeder offered me the opportunity to travel with him and others through the questions and concerns of a person confronted with unexpected obstacles, pain and suffering. Biblical citations and Christian teachings articulated by Pope John Paul II, as well as contemporary references are utilized to offer both hope and reasons to keep trying, even in the worst of circumstances. The rhythm and melody of the writing style along with interwoven personal stories and skillfully selected images make for enjoyable reading despite the weighty topic addressed. I recommend this book to anyone who could use a faith based reflection on suffering for themselves or to encourage others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but not as in depth as I would like, July 18, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well thought out analysis on the meaning of suffering, June 12, 2013
If you are struggling with trials and tribulations in your life, allow this book to clarify the difficult situation, and put it into the perspective of Jesus and his intense suffering on the cross. It relates to us how through the Eucharist we are in communion with Christ and his suffering on the cross.

Are there any quick fixes to suffering? No. But that is the point, one needs to endure and persevere, and to know that many have suffered much worse before you, and many will suffer after you. Instead of running from the suffering and your cross in life -- embrace it as Jesus did and use it as a means of redemptive suffering.

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and very great read, July 17, 2012
This book I would recommend to anyone struggling with a loss or anyone who has ever wondered what God would allow suffering in this world. I

John Paul II and the Meaning of Suffering: Lessons from a Spiritual Master
John Paul II and the Meaning of Suffering: Lessons from a Spiritual Master by Robert G. Schroeder (Paperback - March 14, 2008)
$14.95 $12.94