5.0 out of 5 stars Another strong Pinette DVD release
Published on August 7, 2011 by Derek Burgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat dissatisfied...
I have the DVD I say Ney Ney and it is the funniest thing I have ever seen. I was dissapointed with this one. Not as funny and the language was a lot worse. Wish I would have known before I bought. I know a lot of comics have rough language but that is one thing I liked about Pinette. It isn't terrible but it does say the F-word. Could have done without that.
Published on March 21, 2012 by golfer85

5.0 out of 5 stars Another strong Pinette DVD release, August 7, 2011
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
I type this review mentioning up front I'm a huge John Pinette fan and go out of my way to see him any time he comes to South Florida. I think both I SAY NAY NAY and I'M STARVIN are two of my favorite stand up releases on DVD. Was looking forward to his special on Comedy Central and while it was good, the DVD release of STILL HUNGRY blows it away. I would say almost slightly twice as long as the Comedy Central "One Hour Special" (which is no where close to one hour of jokes) and a ton of stuff that never made the TV version. It was like watching a Lord of the Rings Extended Edition the first time I watched it with all the new material. My girlfriend happens to be vegan and I loved that on the DVD Pinette does a bit on vegetarians and vegans, something which is cut out of the Comedy Central version.

Huge buy if you are a fan of good stand up. Pinette's act is solid and is something you can watch with anyone from aged 13-80 in the room. There's a lot of comedians I enjoy watching, but find myself uncomfortable if I'm watching with my niece and nephews or my parents. Pinette can be enjoyed by everyone and there's something to say for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Great ol' John, September 13, 2011
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
Absolutely halirious. I had to watch it 4 or 5 times to see what I missed from laughing the previous times. This is NOT the comedy central show (that one was TV ready) as this is the following show which allowed him the use of occasional profanity (total of 3 times). I always give John's performances as gifts and this one his right on target!

5.0 out of 5 stars John is a funny funny man, nice person too, August 23, 2012
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
This DVD is just candy for any John Pinette fan. You just can't get enough of it.

John is one of those rare comedians who can talk about a single theme year after year and yet has audiences holding their sides. He talks a lot about food. You just never know where he's going with it. He is hilarious to say the least.

Some of the topics in this one are the cake boss, Haggis in Scotland, Gluten story, the extended warranty, the toaster adoption and my favorite about the beavertail which he had to ice skate to get to....(I would say nay nay). Why you ask, because a beavertail is fried dough covered in chocolate and M&Ms. and being John, he wanted one.....bad..... nuff said... bedlam ensues.......

I couldn't wait to get my hands on this dvd, since I knew it was about a half hour longer than the Comedy Central special where they aired a condensed version of it in August 2011. I hesitated to even watch the special on tv, because I knew I would be seeing John in person at the Sam's Town Casino in Tunica Ms. a few weeks later. I couldn't resist. I watched it all and was glad to hear some new material from John. He is in rare form in this one.

I have two of his previous DVDs(I say Nay Nay & I'm Starvin) which are most excellent in their own right. If you have those and are wondering about this one, it's just as good and perhaps a bit longer in length. It's an excellent value for the dollars.

It has some good extras. I especially enjoyed the part where he went outside a theater to meet some of his fans standing in the rain. I can tell you from experience that he is most gracious when interacting with his fans. There is not one bit of arrogance in him.

John has become famous talking about buffets and as fate would have it, on the day of his show, I was walking out of the casino into the lobby area next to the players club and the buffet, and there is John Pinette coming in the door. I'm sure I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face as I approached him and I know he could tell he had been spotted. He smiled and we shook hands. I told him I was a big fan and I didn't expect to run into him before the show. I had brought my two DVD covers with me in the hope I could get them signed. There I was speaking to him and didn't have them with me(dang it). When I told him this, without blinking I swear he raised his voice and said (as only he could).... "YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I WOULD BE AT THE BUFFET!!!" and gestured to the entrance to the buffet 30 feet from where we stood. Needless to say, I was in stitches and somehow the autograph didn't matter anymore. I had a story to tell that I would never forget. He smiled again and we parted.

Later that night, I went to the show with my dvd covers in hand hoping maybe I could catch him after the show. Not only did he give us about an hour and forty minutes without hardly taking a breath so we could catch ours, I was in for another treat after the show. We heard side splitting story after story. It was so funny. That man ain't right! He told some old stories and many new ones. Some with a new twist which made them new again. I was very entertained.

After the show, John came out the side door beside the stage and came right out in front of the stage and greeted people, signed autographs and took pictures for about 30-45 minutes, at least. When he posed for pictures, he always made the people posing laugh, because he would go into character and say things like "You Go Now", or "Get out of the line", or "How big is a small?". Everyone laughed. It was like getting a whole other show experience. Needless to say, I got my two dvds signed and personalized with an inscription. It's a night I will never forget. On one of my dvds, he wrote "You go now!!! Best Wishes" and on the other one he wrote "The small is small, Best Wishes. If you don't know what those inside jokes mean, you haven't heard enough of John Pinette and you should buy all three of his dvds today. I have rarely seen a celebrity more concerned with making sure every fan who wanted to get the chance to meet and greet actually got it. He was in no hurry. It was very refreshing and will only serve to further endear him to everyone who was there that night. I can't say he does that every night, as I have only seen him once. I am sure some crowds would be too large, but I bet it's a regular activity for him. I think he really enjoyed it as much as the fans. He's just super.

For any on the fence about John Pinette, I would simply say this, experience his unique brand of raging comedy for yourself, whether on dvd or better yet in person. Once you do that just once, I think you will be a fan for life.... as am I. He's tops. This DVD rocks. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Stuff, ...still funny!, July 29, 2011
R. Antes "Cricket" (I'll never know....) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
Hilarious! The only issue is some of his jokes are old. I only say this because how I got onto JP was his joke about the toaster and gluten, and I was shown this about 3 years ago, somewhere, maybe youtube, or something. But then I saw his "I'm Starvin'" DVD and still no gluten jokes, so for about 2 1/2 years I thought I was hallucinating these jokes, till tonight, which is the first time this program aired on TV, and I saw them. But he does have alot of new jokes, so this is very highly recommended for JP fans! Enjoy as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 and a half stars would have been better I couldnt decide, September 11, 2011
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
Yes If I were to recommend a John Pinette DVD to a first timer it would be "Im starvin"....... But Im not unhappy this is in my collection either It has more then a few laughs It has new laughs and after all Carlin Cosby and Pryer didnt always put out five star albums either but there are always bits to talk about

Gluton Free products Buying a toaster and Hiking come to mind

I do think His Scotland story went on a little long and Bed Bath and beyond started out funny but I think at times he had to fill a time slot so he dragged it out

In reading other reviews I see reference to the F Bomb as people refer to it... One even said "All the F Bombs" There was one and I dont believe it was part of the script I think he dropped it as an ad lib......It surprised me but it didnt bother me

In conclusion I would say Buy Im starvin and become and John Pinette fan And then you will want this dvd as part of your collection But no its not his best work

5.0 out of 5 stars Identifiable Humor Highlights John Pinette's Ode To Eating And Shopping, August 30, 2011
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
I understand that comedy is subjective. Along with music, it is one of the harder categories of entertainment to judge because, oftentimes, it just comes down to a matter of taste. But comedy DVDs have an additional stigma that other DVD choices don't face. They have less replay value. If you are a fan of a particular comedian and you follow them, you have to expect that you will hear some material that they've used successfully in the past. The most common complaint I see leveled at comedy DVDs are that the jokes aren't fresh. That's right, folks--every time a comedian steps up to the stage, his entire act isn't going to be newly devised and original. And if you were going to tape a show for the general public to buy, wouldn't you use jokes and material that have proven popular and successful? I would!

That said, I was relatively unfamiliar with John Pinette. I know his "I'm Starvin'" comedy special was something of a phenomenon, but I have yet to see it. "Still Hungry" revisits many of the same themes that have made Pinette a sensation. His comedy is centered around his life and the biggest bits are about identifiable subjects such as eating and shopping. Pinette's shtick is that he loses his cool as people push mundane situations into intrusive nightmares. His extended monologue about extended warranties may not be cutting-edge entertainment, but it is hilarious in its truthfulness. So many times I found myself laughing and nodding in agreement. That's his allure to me--I get where he's coming from. Rarely has observational humor been so blisteringly real. I'm a new fan. And maybe this concert repeated some jokes he has previously used, but for a newbie--I found it consistently funny and an easy recommendation. About 4 1/2 stars. KGHarris, 8/11.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still laughing!, August 19, 2011
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
It's really not fair to rate John Pinette's latest work as a 4 star but when his previous work "I'm Starvin'!" was an over the top 5 star, "Still Hungry" falls a little short in comparison. I laughed, but I didn't laugh until I cried. Most of the DVD is new work, maybe 5% relates back to previously done skits. I think the difference is that this DVD is funny but it's not as personal. What I mean by that is that I could see myself reacting and ranting in chorus with John's "I'm Starvin'!" while "Still Hungry" left me outside looking in at John's skits.

Buy the DVD, you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars still hungry, June 19, 2013
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
Disappointed with his current dvd. It wasn't funny at all. I would recommend older dvd from pinette but not this one. Was terrible

2.0 out of 5 stars Below Standard, March 30, 2012
This review is from: John Pinette: Still Hungry (DVD)
After seeing "I'm Starvin'" "Still Hungry" is a big let down. There are a few humorous moments, but none of the side splitting laughter generated be "I'm Starvin'". I really like John Pinette, but he could have done better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat dissatisfied..., March 21, 2012

John Pinette: Still Hungry
John Pinette: Still Hungry by John Pinette (DVD - 2011)
$19.98 $9.49