5.0 out of 5 stars Schaum is one of the best beginners books, April 5, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: John W. Schaum Adult Piano Course / Book 1 (Paperback)
This book teaches you where to place your 10 fingers on the keyboard starting with middle C. It has the Schaum key finder and the most excellent "sight reading drills". These are so useful for the beginner and teach you to read the notes faster. You catch on real fast with these drills.
Book Two doesn't have the sight reading drill but book Three does. All the children's Schaum piano course books have the drills.
I started with many children's books, they were all good, but Schaum had the drills.
The other very useful teaching book is Schaum's Note Spellers. There is a composer and a music history note speller and they are very helpful and fun to learn with.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Approach, January 29, 2012
Geoffrey F. Arnold (Hillsboro, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John W. Schaum Adult Piano Course / Book 1 (Paperback)
I learned using the Schaum method as part of my education on piano, so I'm a little jaded in favour of their approach.

This is for adults and older adolescents who might wince at the use of the "normal" books, which assume children are the target audience. Fewer pictures and more "down to business" methods are used, so making this a decent starting place for people to begin.

I use it, along with other materials, in teaching people to play the piano. No singular series can possibly "do it all". A good teacher has the depth of material (recommendations) to mix it up and keep it moving forward for the student, whether young teen or adult. This is part of that catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps =), October 27, 2012
This review is from: John W. Schaum Adult Piano Course / Book 1 (Paperback)
My piano teacher told me to get it to aid my note reading, it's easy to understand and so far im liking it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start up, May 29, 2013
This review is from: John W. Schaum Adult Piano Course / Book 1 (Paperback)
My daughter's music teacher suggested this book and my daughter likes it very much.
I definetly recommended this book for beginners

John W. Schaum Adult Piano Course / Book 1
John W. Schaum Adult Piano Course / Book 1 by John W. Schaum (Paperback - March 22, 1985)
$7.95 $7.16