4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Piano Beginners!
Published on June 15, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fun, the songs are not catchy, the print too small
My daughter has used the Bastien series- slow, but pretty fun, and easy to understand. She is now using John THompson, which is wonderful...faster moving that Bastien or Alfred but easy to understand with fun, catchy tunes, and clear instructions. The John W Schaum was by far her least favorite, and I don't understand why anyone would use this when there are either more...
Published 2 months ago by S. Dumas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Piano Beginners!, June 15, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: John W. Schaum Piano Course: A-The Red Book : Leading to Mastery of the Instrument (Paperback)
The John W. Schaum Piano series is an excellent way to introduce children to the piano. Geared to the early grade school level, A-The Red Book is a follow-up to Pre-A-The Green Book. All the piano books in this series feature colorful illustrations, easy-to-read notes, and simple hand positions. The book progresses from very simple melodies at the start to more complex "melody and chord" songs at the end. Children love to sing along as they play the notes. I have found this to be a great way to for younger kids to learn to read music and begin their study of the piano.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for kids and adults, April 17, 2004
I used the older version of this book when I was a child and it was excellent. Easy to read and understand. Perfect for learning to play the piano if you want to go at your own pace. I had a private instructor as well but the book was the key to my lessons. I have almost the entire collection but they are a bit out-dated so I plan to buy the new ones soon for my own review, and also so I can teach my kids to play when they are old enough. I loved the John W. Schaum series. Note: These books aren't really theory based so if you intend to teach yourself, you'll also need a book to really teach you the basics (Tip: I used the AB Guide to music theory by Eric Taylor, it's alittle difficult to find now though), once you master the theory, you'll be on your way to playing tons of songs. Fun fun fun!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series of learn-to-play books, January 3, 2007
D. Gannon (Cinnaminson, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I was very happy to be able to find the John W. Schaum Piano Course books. Many years ago, I was taught to play piano using these books and now I'm able to teach my children the same way. This book provides a very simply step-by-step approach to piano playing that is challenging but still easy enough for children to understand and to practice what they've learned on their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best I know of, February 13, 2010
Caraculiambro (La Mancha and environs) - See all my reviews
In my opinion, Schaum's piano course (from the 50's, I think!) is the best piano course published in the last 100 years. It's been given slick new covers, but the text hasn't changed.

There are eight lettered books, A-H. Then there are two "After the H Books" and one "Pre" book, called the "Green Book."

I myself used Alfred's and had some impressive success with that, but I must aver that Schaum's is a superior series. It takes the student much, much deeper and at a much more comfortable pace without, at any point, throwing anything horridly intimidating in his face.

I didn't know about Schaum's while I was learning piano or I would have switched over. As it is, I can still get put through my paces with the F, G, and H books, which take me into realms Alfred's did not get into, at least explicitly. And Alfred's certainly goes far deeper than either the Bastien or the Faber.

Too bad these don't come with CD's, at least to my knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent material, January 3, 2007
Nona N. Lohr (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
"Schaum's A-Red Book" is great for the student who needs a little extra work before moving on to "Thompson's Grade 1 Book". I usually start my students in "Teaching Little Fingers to Play", but I have discovered that many of them need extra material before they are able to move on to "Thompson's Grade 1 Book". This book is the one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start piano., October 10, 2007
This is a great way to learn piano. I have taught this method for many years and it has never failed any of my students. This books offers fun songs yet is packed with important information from the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT For Piano Beginners!, February 5, 2014
Stephen Bassette (Boca Raton, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I used this during piano lessons when I was a kid and I'm so glad I was able to buy this again. The songs are fun to play and melodic to listen to. The music theory lessons weaved throughout are also very basic and easy to understand, even for someone in 1st grade. If you have a child using this book, you may even hear them playing songs you recognize after not too long, like simplified versions of "Jingle Bells" and "Ode to Joy." Start 'em while they're young, and they'll remember how to play these songs for the rest of their lives. Totally worth the $5.00 or whatever, if you ask me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book for a beginner., February 17, 2014
I took piano lessons many years ago, and decided to take up the keyboard again. I used Schaum books when I first took piano, so it was logical that I should start my new journey here again. I have purchased other Schaum books as well recently.

5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute best investment, April 1, 2014
Jessica L (Murrieta, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a beginner. You don't need any previous experience. I found this series a "Life-Saver." My confidence, and ability to read and play music improved dramatically. I practice roughly one hour daily, and I can see and hear my improvement. I will keep with the series as I advance my piano playing skills. I highly recommend this easy to follow and understand series.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time piano playing adult, August 15, 2013
I am a baby boomer taking piano lessons (group) for the first time. Love the lessons, love the book. Schaum supports you through each instruction, and offers several practice drills to strengthen your skills.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›