5.0 out of 5 stars Best and easiest beginners book for children
Published on February 8, 2006 by Dara May

1.0 out of 5 stars Suzuki is much better
Published on August 25, 2011 by Arvind Keerthi

5.0 out of 5 stars Best and easiest beginners book for children, February 8, 2006
This is the best beginners book. I have tried different methods with my students, so far this one works best as for introducing notes on the staff from bass clef F to treble G. This book introduces note at the staff one at a time and works on both clefs from the beginning. It starts with middle C in treble clef and bass clef in whole, half, and quarter notes. Then students learn D and B, and time signature 4/4, 3/4, 2/4. Then it introduces E (treble), A (bass), F (treble), G (bass), G (treble) and F (bass). Includes read aloud and writing exercises. If the students do these exercises they will have good reading skill. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner's Piano Book, June 29, 2006
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
This book is wonderful to begin teaching young children the rudiments of piano playing. The children are most excited when they have to play their parts while I play the accompaniment. These 'duet' sessions have generated much joy, laughter and fun, which is what music should be to children.

If your child requires more challenging work, I would suggest using this book in tandem with another book like from Michael Aaron's series or John Thompson's "Teaching Little Fingers to Play".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners of all ages, February 9, 2011
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I'm a piano teacher, and I love this book! I find that students as young as 5 or 6 can understand it, and my 3 and 4 year olds are usually ready for this book after a few months of preparatory "games." I use this for all my beginners who are teenagers or younger (teenagers usually don't appreciate the "monster" characters, but they get over it). I'm also thinking about starting all new adult beginners with this book, since I haven't found an adult book I like as well. Many other books start with "pre-reading" songs, which use note symbols combined with finger numbers, then move to note symbols with letter names, then finally to notes on a staff. This book uses the "begin the way you intend to continue" theory, and starts students off reading notes on the staff right away instead of confusing them by making them learn 3 different systems of notation. Other books also teach "position playing," where students may learn to read notes in C position, then notes in G position, then F position, and so on. The danger of position playing is that students just learn to recognize patterns, and some of my transfer students who had used this method can't play anything unless they are first told where to put their hands. Part One of this John Thompson series stays in one position, but right away in Part Two they have to start learning new notes and moving their hands around, so if they can't read the notes they can't play the song. I love how Part One introduces one note at a time, and simplifies the first song that uses a new note or concept, so students truly learn all of the notes and concepts but aren't overwhelmed. There are a few things I don't like about this series. Part One is very good, and I can't complain too much about it--the first few songs are very boring without the CD, but I can't find any way to make them more interesting without also making it more difficult. Part Two introduces eighth notes too early for many students, and key signatures are introduced right after sharps and flats, which confuses most students. Part Three introduces new notes early in the book, but then doesn't use them in any of the songs that follow. Overall though, it's a great series and I intend to keep using if for all of my future beginners.

1.0 out of 5 stars Suzuki is much better, August 25, 2011
Arvind Keerthi (Bangalore, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I am a parent who does not have much musical background or education. My daughter, age 10, learns piano and this book is prescribed for her. I find that it is very hard to do the exercises in the book because they need the parent/teacher to play along an "accompaniment" --- which is fine if the parent already has that ability! If, like myself, the parent is a musical novice, then no accompaniment is possible, and the exercises become deadly boring, and it is hard for the child to see the motivation or even have fun at all.

Now I was hoping this book came with a play-along CD, and there are symbols through out the book alluding to an accompanying CD. But mine didn't come with a CD. No help on the web either --- no accompaniments to this book available on any web-site I could find.

So if you are a parent or a teacher with good musical talent then by all means follow the five-star reviews. If you are in my boat --- a musical novice whose child is learning music --- then I would suggest the Suzuki book on piano.

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned alot from this book, July 30, 2010
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I've been taking Piano lessons since the beginning of this year. This was the the book my Piano Teacher started me on. I'm an adult who knew nothing and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing about the Piano.

I knew nothing about where the Middle C is on the Piano or how many notes there are on the Piano. This book taught me how to read the all the notes and how to play them and very quickly too!!!

Did I feel silly learning from this book??? No way... I wanted to learn how to play the Piano and this book got me started.

It's been 7 months and I'm playing pretty good.

Granted I'm no Liberace... but hey I don't mind. I'm having a BLAST!!! :[]

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to play the piano for the very first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to teach from, April 20, 2009
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I just started my 6 year old (first time teaching for me) in this book. I think it's easy to teach from for someone who has never taught piano lessons before. I couldn't decide between this and another John Thompson book (Teaching little fingers to play), so I ordered both. This one is definitely slower moving for younger kids ("easiest"). I chose to use this one. (My adult brother is using the other book to learn.) :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young beginners, February 27, 2007
G. Hofer (Clarkston, MIchigan USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I love it. Students learn the notes one-by-one in songs with duet accompaniment. There are work pages to do along with songs to play. The book is colorful and fun to look at. The progression moves along slowly so that each concept is learned; while at the same time students are playing songs each week and feeling much success. I like it a lot better then the old Thompson series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a young learner, August 8, 2007
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I've been teaching my 5-year-old to play and she has progressed quickly using this book. I've been playing since I was 4 myself, but I haven't taught music to anyone. This has been easy to use and I like that it comes with accompaniments to each piece that I can play with her. It references a CD, but mine didn't come with one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guests can pick up this book from your piano and start learning to play!, February 29, 2008
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
I keep this book and its sequel on my piano. Recently a friend came over with her 4 year-old daughter and started playing the lessons in the book. The two of them were able to make significant progress in about 30 minutes.

I am using the activities to jump start my toddler's music exposure. She enjoys the cover, and the notes are simple enough to engage her. She is learning timing and correspondence between tone and piano key, and I am using the time to fine-tune my own understanding of piano playing.

Overall, this book is a very good companion for your piano if you want to give guests and children the opportunity to play your piano and learn even with no previous lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars learn to play piano, May 11, 2009
JJ "Jan" (Lincoln, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 (Paperback)
These are the best learn to play piano books and this grandmother learned from them also. My grandchildren are ready to start and I am sure they will do well, even if they learn only for their own enjoyment.

John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1
John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1 by John Thompson (Paperback - November 1, 2005)
$4.99 $2.82