Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Johnson Family Vacation
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon October 22, 2004
Meet the new generation's vacationing family as they travel from California to Missouri and encounter all sorts of silly experiences along the way.

Nate Johnson (played by Cedric the Entertainer) begins his family vacation by picking up his SUV from the dealer and finding out he now has a "hip-hop mobile" complete with hydraulics and rapper wheels. His son, (Lil' Bow Wow), now of course thinks of his dad as cool. Estranged from his wife (Vanessa Williams), Nate has convinced her to take a ride to his family reunion along with his teenage boy-crazy daughter (Solange Knowles) and his youngest child (Gabby Soleil). All kinds of funny things happen along the road and family issues begin to come to a head. The reunion is hilarious with Nate and his brother (Steve Harvey) competing for their mother's attention....let the competitions begin!

Cedric the Entertainer is very funny in his role as the nerdy insurance selling dad; he is a gifted performer and has the chance to show off all his stuff in this role. Vanessa Williams is still beautiful and amazingly good as the serious Johnson mom. Lil Bow Wow shows he is not all hip-hop in his role as the Johnson son. Solange Knowles is perfectly cast as the teenage Johnson daughter with an eye for the boys. And how sweet is little Gabby Soleil as the youngest Johnson. Of course Steve Harvey cannot be denied as the competitive Johnson brother. The best part of this movie is the talent contest at the reunion where we get to see Cedric in all his glory and Harvey doing a "Miss Jackson" routine! This movie is light-hearted and entertaining for the whole family with a heartwarming ending of course so sit back and let the Johnson's do the driving.
on April 12, 2004
When I first heard about this movie, I wasn't sure I wanted to see it because it featured a lot of teenage hip-hop artists of the moment (like Bow Wow and Solange Knowles), so I thought it would be teen-oriented (not that there's anything wrong with that). But it actually isn't. And on top of all that, this movie is pretty funny.
Cedric the Entertainer plays Nate Johnson, a man who is trying to drive his son D.J. (Bow Wow), daughters Nikki (Solange Knowles) and Destiny (Gabby Soleil), and (separated) wife Dorothy (Vanessa L. Williams) to the annual Johnson Family Reunion in California. But they somehow end up driving all across unnecessary states (they go from New Mexico to Colorado to Kansas to Missouri) while encountering strange situations -- the strangest of which would have to be hitchhiker Chrishelle (Shannon Elizabeth).
The funniest part of the movie to me would have to be when Nate expresses his dismay of D.J.'s CDs, and what Nate in turn does with them. But overall, the movie is great. The only thing I really didn't understand was why Jennifer Freeman had such high billing (she was listed fourth, I think), because she was only in one or two quick scenes, and she didn't even have any speaking parts. But regardless, Johnson Family Vacation is worth checking out at the theater.
Anthony Rupert
on July 27, 2004
the movie was hillarious! preshel went to go see it on the same day that i did, and we laughed baout it for a week. if you are looking for a good movie that is guarenteed to make you relax, BUY THIS MOVIE NOW! i promise it will have you rollin'.
on June 29, 2011
4 & 1/2

I'm not sure what's up with all the angry reviews, but they don't reflect the movie content. The movie is funny, and very at times. I don't laugh at much entertainment out there these days, but even the most subtle of Cedric's remarks are so well delivered. The family cast altogether I think is quite good.

Also, this is not copying Chevy Chase's older Vacation movies. I have watched those so many times in the past, probably more than 20X, but this is quite a bit different actually.
on December 26, 2012
This is a very funny family movie, with great actors and entertainers. There's one questionable scene with a hottub that may not be suitable for all ages, but no nudity or outright mention of sex, so it may be ok. We loved this movie and laughed out loud while watching it!
on October 15, 2013
I purchase this movie and enjoyed it a lot, I think I gave it to my niece when she was visiting me so when another niece ask to see
it and I could not find it I was not happy at all. What did I do, I ordered two more from Amazon, one for me and one for my niece.
on January 1, 2010
AAA can't help the roadside emergency that is the JOHNSON FAMILY VACATION. Even the on-board navigation system has a meltdown on Nate Johnson and his family's cross-country trek to their annual family reunion/grudge match. Reluctantly along for the ride are Nate's wife, who's only in it for the kids; their rapper-wannabe son; their teenage daughter who's fashioned herself as the next Lolita; and their youngest, whose imaginary dog Nate just can't seem to keep track of. Can the Johnsons survive each other and all the obstacles the road throws at them to make it to Caruthersville, Missouri. I loved this movie...Maybe because I am a huge fan Edric and Steve Harvey. But I actually thought that this movie was very well done. It's not the normal for Edric or Steve but sometimes you have to go a different direction and I think that they picked the right direction. It's a nice movie that you can take your kids, I would recommend this movie to anyone.
on September 7, 2013
The movie was great how could it not be, Cedric and Steve Harvey what a pair. It reminds me younger times only moving in slow motion. The music was great also. I will watch this over and over again. Thank you.
on December 8, 2007
At their best, road trip movies can be transformative adventures (e.g., "Y Tu Mama Tambien"; "Midnight Run"). At their worst, they can just be unfocused, meandering wastes of time. Unfortunately, this movie tended toward the latter. Instead of transformation we get one-liners and sight gags, and not even enough of those. Also this movie wasted of fine acting talent, especially, of all people, Shari Headley, whom I fell in love with in the classic "Coming to America," but is relegated to a bit part here. Come back Shari!
on October 17, 2006
I THINK JOHNSON FAMILY VACATION WAS A VERY HILARIOUS MOVIE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MAJORITY OF ALL THE BAD REVIEWS I HAD READ. MY GUESS IS THEY DON'T LIKE AN AFRICAN AMERICAN VERSION OF THE SO CALLED CLASSIC CHEVY CHASE MOVIE. THIS MOVIE WAS SO FUNNY ! I LOVED THE PART WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS PIMPED OUT AND WHEN NATE AND HIS SON D.J. HAD IT OUT ABOUT THE CDS AND THREW THE CDS OUT OF THE WINDOW. THE MOVIE BECAME MORE AND MORE FUNNY WHEN THE FAMILY WERE AT FUN WORLD AND NATE RAN INTO THE CHEF MAKING DESTINY'S BIRTHDAY CAKE HAHAHAHAHA. I ESPECIALLY LOVED STEVE HARVEY WHEN HE CONSTANTLY TAUNTED HIS BROTHER. THIS WAS A GREAT MOVIE I RECOMMEND IT IF U R HAVING A BAD DAY OR JUST WANT SOMETHING FUNNY TO WATCH.