Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Style Name: Original|Size: Pack of 2|Change

on May 30, 2012
Please don't write off this product because of the irresponsible reviews that have been influenced by media-fueled scaremongering. While quaternium-15 isn't itself a carcinogen, it releases formaldehyde, which is. However, as with all toxins, the dose makes the poison. Formaldehyde is harmless in small doses, and this particular shampoo only contains about 200 ppm. For comparison, pears contain about 60 ppm, and the mushrooms on your pizza contain up to 400 ppm. Those are naturally occurring amounts, not due to any additives or pesticides. The EU currently limits consumer cosmetics to 2,000 ppm of formaldehyde, the strictest regulations in the world. By that measure, this product is safe by an order of magnitude.

Without preservatives, your shampoo would quickly turn into a soup of potentially toxic molds and bacteria. If J&J gives in to the pressure to remove quaternium-15 from its cosmetics, it'll have to replace it with some other preservative, likely some newer, less tested chemical. The recent campaign against quaternium-15 is certainly well meaning, but will do little to protect consumers and may very well harm them.

As for me, I'm an adult who finds other shampoos too harsh. I tried shampooing every other day, then twice a week, but found that my hair would get too greasy between washes and too dry immediately after them. A little baby shampoo diluted with water turned out to be just right for keeping my hair reasonably healthy without feeling dirty. It works great on my dog, too.

And feel free to check my history. I'm a real person with no connection to J&J whatsoever.
33 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
MY SITUATION:
I am not a baby, but was born with sensitive skin. For years I tolerated itchy scalp. After awhile, my ears also started itching. My doctor suspected I was allergic to my shampoo and suggested switching to another type. I tried several shampoos over the last couple of years, but nothing solved the problem. I was prescribed medication for my ears, but preferred a preventative approach.

WHAT ARE Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate?

My online research revealed that many shampoos contain an ingredient called Sodium Laureth Sulfate, a foaming agent that produces that nice thick lather we love. The problem is that some people find it irritating. I looked at the label of my shampoo and saw that it was the second ingredient on the list. It is associated with another ingredient called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is also an irritant.

I should mention that these two ingredients are *not* to be confused with another ingredient called Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is derived from coconut and palm and is considered safe. These three names are all very similar which can make things confusing.

NATURAL PRODUCTS:

I eventually found J&J's Natural Baby Shampoo which doesn't contain Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfate. This shampoo is in their Natural line of products. Although it's made for babies, I hoped it would work for me because I have fine hair and sensitive skin.

First of all, it was difficult finding this shampoo locally. Many stores carry J&J shampoos, but not the Natural line. If they carry the Natural line, it was usually out of stock. I went to at least five stores before finding it. Although I chain-link my errands, I suppose it would have been better to just buy it on Amazon from the start, but I wanted to try it before buying the 2-pack.

RESULTS:

Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that this shampoo is watery. But I can accept that because it doesn't include those thickening ingredients that might be irritating my skin. Just be careful when you pour it so that it doesn't drip out of your hand.

It also doesn't lather as easily as "regular" shampoo, so you have to get over yearning for a head full of lather. I do miss the lather, but it's a trade-off. I do miss the fragrance of my old brand, but then again perfume can be an irritant as well.

*Update: Please note that I received a helpful tip (see comment) to first lather the shampoo in your hands and add water before putting it on your head.

However, it does what it's supposed to do... it cleans just as well as my other shampoos. It doesn't leave my hair oily as I was expecting. So the bottom line is that I am happy with this shampoo and am willing to trade-off thick shampoo and rich lather for a mild and effective shampoo.

PROS:
- Does not contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
- Cleans gently, but cleans effectively
- Reasonable price

CONS:
- Doesn't lather
- Watery

RECOMMENDATION:
- In spite of the CONS, I still recommend this shampoo to someone who is sensitive to other shampoos. I am still giving 5 stars since I like the idea of less irritating synthetics and more natural ingredients. Of course everyone's chemistry is unique, so the only way to know how it works for you is to try it. At least it's not expensive. Hope this helps.
on November 13, 2012
Great product for dry/flaky or irritated scalp. I was so tired of using shampoos with harsh chemicals that irritate my scalp and cause itching so I decided to use this and it's great! Very calming and it smells wonderful.
on July 11, 2011
I bought this for my Granddaughter and chose Johnson's products because I used nothing but 40 yrs ago on my own baby. They continue to produce quality products. Kiaras hair smells good even after playing in the sun and swimming. Great price on Amazon!
on March 10, 2014
This is the only product I use that isn't Baby Magic. This smells fantastic and cleans well, without stripping the hair- even when you wash daily. I wish the other products carried this same smell besides the hand and face wipes, but not sure if i'd use as I am a Baby Magic fien and love it. Guess J&J is lucky BM doesn't make a shampoo only as I'd probably use that. Just one of my crazy little things- I hate the idea of body wash being used on hair too.
on May 20, 2014
I use this (three drops) in a little water to prevent an allergy around my eyes. A doctor suggested this many years ago when finding that i was allergic and it caused flaky skin around my eyes. This works very well as strange as it sounds. Just wet a q tip in the soapy shampoo water and wipe on eyelids.
on January 1, 2013
So easy to order online, great price. i actually ordered this to use on my eyes. i had Lasik surgery and suffer from extreme dry eyes now. my doctor recommended i rub this on my eyes in the shower to produce more oils from the eyelids. it works!
on June 9, 2014
The smell is so relaxing. My daughter loves this as well (at least the smell of it). When she's finished, she smells so good and because it's such a relaxing and calming scent it also seems to help soothe her and relax her (preparing her) for bedtime. I use this with the Johnson's Baby Bedtime Bubble Bath and Wash, Calming Lavender. I highly recommend this product!
on July 28, 2014
I use this to defog swim goggles.

A drop inside the lens, rub in, let dry, rinse with pool water and go, NO more fog.

I wanted the natural as this will be in my eyes all day and it works like a champ. Had to get two bottles but I just use the other as dog shampoo because he always gets it in his eyes.
VINE VOICEon July 10, 2012
I was told that this is actually great for people looking for a soothing bath, and also in need of some R&R. It works wonders. There is something to be said about aromatherapy. Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo (Calming Lavender) really does the trick. It leaves you feeling moisturized and relaxed.