5.0 out of 5 stars Love the smell!
I love the smell of Johnson's naturals products. I use this on my baby regularly. It also doesn't contain the harmful chemicals that were in the news lately that regular JOhnson products contain, so it is safe for baby!
Published on May 3, 2012 by SallyC

2.0 out of 5 stars Was Expecting Safer Ingredients
EWG would have problems with this formulation because it doesn't state on the ingredients list exactly what "fragrance" is.

Published on August 28, 2010 by S. Sigley

2.0 out of 5 stars Was Expecting Safer Ingredients, August 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I would've liked to have known exactly what was in the bottle before ordering. It states that it's 98% natural. What, exactly, was the other 2%? Undoubtedly it is some kind of preservative. After reading about sodium benzoate, I do not want to use this product anymore. Granted, the hydantoin and parabens are gone from the formula. So, in the interest of informing other consumers, here is the ingredients list straight from the back of the bottle:

Water, decyl glucoside, polyglyceryl-10 laurate, cocoglycerides, sodium coco-sulfate, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, sodium benzoate, cetyl hydroxyethylcellulose, xanthan gum, fragrance, citric acid, sodium hydroxide. 98% derived from coconut, palm and sugarcane.

It is tear-free and it doesn't foam much. The foam almost immediately disappears into a watery feeling clear liquid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the smell!, May 3, 2012
This review is from: Johnson's Natural Head-to-Toe Baby Wash, 18 Ounce (Health and Beauty)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, light scent, ingredients mostly good, pump ok, August 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can't recommend for or against this product since my usual source for indicated safety in consumer chemicals has not published their data yet. However, I did check ingredient by ingredient to get the relative safety scores, and this does very well for a Johnson and Johnson product (if you compare ingredients with other JnJ products, they are not even similar, so this is not just marketing hype to cater to concerned parents). Even did very well relative to other products (including California Baby), with the worst offender being sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and even that is moderate (3 on a scale from 1 -10, from least to most toxic)

PROS:
Nice, very light scent, doesn't cause me to sneeze like some stronger scented soaps
Ingredients are zero to very low toxicity, with only one (and the last one at that) listed as moderate (very good)
Cost compared to other low tox soaps - blows the "premium" brands out of the water here.

CONS:
Pump is iffy...not enough soap comes out at once imo, and not sure I like a pump for bath soap (though it's not that big of a deal...)

Overall I would definitely recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to be reamed at the checkout for buying low-tox soap. Compare the price to this with Burt's Bee's or California Baby and you get MUCH more value here, and seems to be safe as well.

Reference: [...]

EDITED AFTER TWO YEARS USING: I bumped this up to five stars, because there really is nothing else in the market (that I have seen), with such low toxicity scores, for such a low cost. Nothing even close. I have used many bottles of this stuff happily for the past couple years, on all three of my kids. Highly (higher!) recommended after much use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Increased infant excema, August 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this product on my 1 month old twin infants.

While I liked the use of the thick foam, it actually increased the dryness of one of my infant's excema skin. In the end we had to discontinue using the product on this infant and switch to Cetaphil to keep the excema down.

On the non-excema infant we continued using this product but it didn't feel as clean as the standard Johnson and Johnson product, and it definitely dried his skin a lot more causing us to lather on thick baby lotion after his baths.

In the end, I wouldn't reccomend this product for infants. It's better either to stick w/ the standard Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo/wash, and Cetahpil for any infant w/ excema.

1.0 out of 5 stars Synthetic chemicals NOT Natural or Organic, January 22, 2011
I did lots of research for Baby Shampoo/wash for our newborn Baby boy and came across this new line of J&J Shampoo (Natural Made).
We received this and other J&J Baby products as a gift.
First of all, I found out that it's not an Organic product just because it's a 'Natural'it doesn't mean it's an Organic.
Furthermore, this product has chemicals like Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium Benzoate.
Sodium Hydroxide is used as a drain cleaner, and Sodium Benzoate is used in fireworks as a fuel in whistle mix.
There are other better shampoos in the market made by small companies like Earth Mama, California Baby etc.
But, so far the best Baby Shampoo/wash I found is Nature's Certified, I tried on my baby and I would say it's an excellent product.

Bottom-line, DON'T use this Synthetic chemicals not 100% natural, safe for Baby or Organic at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleans my fine hair and doesn't contain Sodium Laureth / Lauryl Sulfate., September 8, 2012
MY SITUATION:
I am not a baby, but was born with sensitive skin. For years I tolerated itchy scalp. After awhile, my ears also started itching. My doctor suspected I was allergic to my shampoo and suggested switching to another type. I tried several shampoos over the last couple of years, but nothing solved the problem. I was prescribed medication for my ears, but preferred a preventative approach.

WHAT ARE Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate?

My online research revealed that many shampoos contain an ingredient called Sodium Laureth Sulfate, a foaming agent that produces that nice thick lather we love. The problem is that some people find it irritating. I looked at the label of my shampoo and saw that it was the second ingredient on the list. It is associated with another ingredient called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is also an irritant.

I should mention that these two ingredients are *not* to be confused with another ingredient called Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is derived from coconut and palm and is considered safe. These three names are all very similar which can make things confusing.

NATURAL PRODUCTS:

I eventually found J&J's Natural Baby Shampoo which doesn't contain Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfate. This shampoo is in their Natural line of products. Although it's made for babies, I hoped it would work for me because I have fine hair and sensitive skin.

First of all, it was difficult finding this shampoo locally. Many stores carry J&J shampoos, but not the Natural line. If they carry the Natural line, it was usually out of stock. I went to at least five stores before finding it. Although I chain-link my errands, I suppose it would have been better to just buy it on Amazon from the start, but I wanted to try it before buying the 2-pack.

RESULTS:

Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that this shampoo is watery. But I can accept that because it doesn't include those thickening ingredients that might be irritating my skin. Just be careful when you pour it so that it doesn't drip out of your hand.

It also doesn't lather as easily as "regular" shampoo, so you have to get over yearning for a head full of lather. I do miss the lather, but it's a trade-off. I do miss the fragrance of my old brand, but then again perfume can be an irritant as well.

*Update: Please note that I received a helpful tip (see comment) to first lather the shampoo in your hands and add water before putting it on your head.

However, it does what it's supposed to do... it cleans just as well as my other shampoos. It doesn't leave my hair oily as I was expecting. So the bottom line is that I am happy with this shampoo and am willing to trade-off thick shampoo and rich lather for a mild and effective shampoo.

PROS:
- Does not contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
- Cleans gently, but cleans effectively
- Reasonable price

CONS:
- Doesn't lather
- Watery

RECOMMENDATION:
- In spite of the CONS, I still recommend this shampoo to someone who is sensitive to other shampoos. I am still giving 5 stars since I like the idea of less irritating synthetics and more natural ingredients. Of course everyone's chemistry is unique, so the only way to know how it works for you is to try it. At least it's not expensive. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnson's Baby Natural is Awesome!!, August 23, 2012
I've been using this on my 2 year old for almost two years and it's been great. Lasts well, doesn't cause him any eczema type rashes, like other products, and lasts a long time. No itchiness either. Tried the cheap knock off version, but regretted that mistake immediately and won't go there again. It's worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it love it, April 20, 2012
My boy has a sensivetive skin, I tried from regular JnJ to Aveeno- but nothing had worked for him. He either had red spot on his face n body or dandruff and dry skin. When I used the natural JnJ, his skin is very soft and smooth. Love it when it doesn't have lots of form so save lots of time to wash it off my boy. Great product and great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars decent product, January 16, 2012
I have a baby with extremely sentitive skin - his skin breaks out often so we have to use fragrance-free, hypoallergenic etc products - this is decent priced product compared to the doctor-recommended cetaphil washes we've been using and it doesn't flare up his skin as it's almost completely natural ingredients - highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and does the job, December 20, 2011
First of all I disagree with other reviewers , who are complaining about the smell and stuff.
Remember this is a natural product with less or no chemicals and is meant for the babies more so for that matter.

This works like a charm on my babies gentle skin, we have been applying all over her body since she is 2 months old.
All the other lotions were giving her rashes but this is being so gentle and keeps her skin moisturized.

Johnson's Natural Head-to-Toe Baby Wash, 18 Ounce