4.0 out of 5 stars Jolt! by Phil Cooke
Our lives are filled with change. For every change that presents itself, we have a choice. Do we avoid it at all costs or do we look at change as an opportunity to jolt our behavior? In Jolt!, Phil Cooke offers five areas of your life where you can make the sudden jolts of life work for you.
As a person going through a great deal of change, this book inspired me...
Published on April 7, 2011 by mamacurls

3.0 out of 5 stars Jolt! by Phil Cooke
Published on May 14, 2011 by Just Bibliophiles

3.0 out of 5 stars Jolt! by Phil Cooke, May 14, 2011
This review is from: Jolt!: Get the Jump on a World That's Constantly Changing (Hardcover)
I have read and reviewed literally hundreds of self-help books. Most have similar common themes, as does Phil Cooke's JOLT!. Going through the phases of being able to accept yourself for who you are and looking inside to determine what your gift or passion is. The book discusses going over goals, how to prioritize personal events and how you operate at work. Many books go into the moral purpose of the individual along with their true faith, as does Cooke.

If you have not read many self-help books then you may enjoy this book. The book has the basic foundation that most self-help books have. If you are looking for something different or a unique point of view in tackling some of the key self-help topics you will be disappointed. JOLT! provides nothing unique or new to the field of self-help. The book provides many stories and quotes but nothing solid that the reader could walk away with saying, "that could really change/improve my life". The book contains many good suggestions but they are suggestions that appear in most published self-help books.

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through BookSneeze.com in exchange for my honest review of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars JOLT...not jolt enough, May 17, 2011
Venitra Clark (Elmira, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Jolt-is a book of famous quotes and the same mantras that every self help book employs. With a title like Jolt I expected to read about a new way to live your life, instead, it just takes what's old and attempts to make it new again. If you want a quick review of life skills, this is the book for you. The book is very organized and well written. It would definitely be an excellent book for someone who has just begun to explore life's passages. I enjoyed the quotes more than the advice, as many of the quotes were new to me. The self-help genre whether it's personal or work related seems to feed off each other. Mr. Cooke, talks about people who have made a difference in other people's lives, noting names and places, but again using them as examples, of what you can do...if you change your outlook. Mr. Cooke, certainly has done his research, and has given the book it's due from a research standpoint. However, research and new ideas are two different things. Self help has to be like electronics....change is good. And you can always improve on what's given to you, each and every day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jolt! by Phil Cooke, April 7, 2011
As a person going through a great deal of change, this book inspired me to look at my circumstances in a whole new way. Phil's writing style is conversational, almost as if we are talking over lunch. The points are made in a concise way and everything is woven together in a way that keeps the reader engaged from cover to cover. Phil motivates the reader to use change to work for his benefit by providing simple exercises along the way and offering examples of others who have succeeded in a world of constant change. This book has jolted my thinking and lifestyle in ways I never expected!
BookSneeze® has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolt! -, May 15, 2011
This book is all about change. What areas of your life need to be "shaken" in order to achieve your full potential? What steps you need to take to a meaningful and fruitful life? What positive changes can you make in your family, your business and your sphere of influence? This book will help you answer just that, or create in you the desire to find those answers.

Phil is able to maintain the readers attention throughout the entire reading. In one word, "Refreshing". To find a book that is well written but at the same time balanced, is quite that; Refreshing. Phil makes a great job in integrating a myriad of resources and references into his writing, and in doing so it doesn't make you doze away. The reading is engaging and quite powerful. One could actually re-read it, and find after every read a new idea.

The book could easily be a reference for new ideas or reflection on decision making or even how to think of new ways to run your organization or business. The author does not hide his beliefs but at the same time doesn't push them down your throat. He is very well versed and through the pages of the book you can appreciate the profound knowledge that makes this book, a well balanced, practical book. A must read, I'm glad I did.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com, book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 [...] : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile Information, May 4, 2011
While I felt like some of the words were redundant or didn't apply to me, most of the author's insights were valuable. I appreciated what he had to say about Overcoming Insecurities, Healthy Habit Forming and Eliminating Distractions. This is a very fast-paced society of change we live in. We need to be highly-functioning to stay on top of things. I give this book four stars and would recommend you read it, if you have time and desire!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a double-shot of espresso, April 25, 2011
Jolt!, by Phil Cooke, will not be a book for everyone, because some people are content with the status quo. They're perfectly fine with punching a time-clock, putting in their hours, and just wishing their lives could change. If, however, you are one of the rare breed of person who wants to take your life to the next level, you need to read Jolt!

In the book, the author uses 25 "jolts" that all of us can relate to in order to jumpstart our desire for growth in those areas. Topics such as forgiveness, integrity, failure, priorities, and making better choices are discussed, and in each of the 25 chapters, Cooke challenges the reader to see the positive side of each area. For example, in the Jolt on failure, he writes:

"We must stop labeling failure as negative. There are no real failures - only options. Some options work, and others don't."

Cooke's writing style will not be for everyone. There are a plethora of quotes throughout the book, and while I love books with lots of quotes, some readers may find that to have been a bit overplayed. Jolt! will not be the deepest book you'll ever read, but in the end, a jolt isn't something that sustains, but rather a short burst of energy which gets your attention, and in this regard, I would say that Phil Cooke has done an excellent job.

I received this book from BookSneeze in exchange for this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less Than Jolted, August 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Phil Cooke spends some of his writing time discussing self-help books; there are so many, they don't seem to be helping anyone, they all seem to say the same thing. The problem is he seems to feel that his book is better than or should not be considered a self-help book, however I have read it before in every other sales book, self-help, or leadership book I have been required to read, have read on my own or have read for review.

Cooke repackaged all the typical habits of mind that we know will make us successful in a modern, slick looking book with some quotes, a first page for each chapter that is off center just enough to give the book a feeling of movement and he has a hit.

If a person has never read a self-help book, never taken any goal setting classes then this would be a great book for beginning. It is positive, advocates getting rid of negative emotions and thinking about where you want to go. It can help you see that some things you might be doing are keeping you from being successful, that is if you have never talked to anyone, read any self-help, or listened to motivational materials before.

There is a strong religious undercurrent to this book.

That being said, Cooke writes well enough that I enjoyed reading the book. It was not boring. Just don't expect to learn anything that will "JOLT" you our of your seat if you have a background in sales, leadership, human resources or other similar positions in which you commonly read or listen to similar materials.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jolt Your Life!, December 14, 2012
Do you want to change your life? In this book, Phil Cooke tells people how to discover their aims in life, set their priorities, be more creative and improve their thinking. Well-written and enjoyable, the book has a lot of anecdotes and personal stories. I especially liked the one about the magician who helped the generals in the Second World War.

Like many reviewers, I felt that this book wasn't very different from most self-help books. It also seems to give people a lot of hard work to do. (Can't someone write a self-help book that makes improving yourself fun?) However, I did find it helpful, and I found the chapters on creativity and thinking particularly useful.

I also agreed with Phil Cooke when he pointed out that science has failed to answer the important questions of life, for example, what is our purpose in life. He's a Christian, but he doesn't seek to convert anyone in this book, although he writes about how important his faith is to him, and how faith helps him.

NB: I received this book free from Book Sneeze. My opinions are entirely my own.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly common sense, but might help some, August 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, I had thought this was an economics/financial book relating to a changing world, but it is a motivational book, so it was an accident that I ordered it and really a waste of reading time. However, out of curiosity I did read it and conclude that it is basically common sense, but also if followed might actually turn some people's lives to the negative. It is all about "jolting" one's life in a new direction. In the author's case, he was fired, so maybe for him, he needed a "jolt." But, many people are doing just fine and with a changing world around them might be better served with an adjustment, rather than some radical change. Anyway, here are some of the key points from the book.

1. The world is changing therefore we need to change. Psychiatrists are pushing Internet addiction as a clinical disorder. Also, the financial recession has forced some people into a bad situation needing change. The author's father got his "jolt" when he entered the Marines. The author says the key, is asking the right questions.

2. Maybe the best tip in the book is to start at the finish line. Start with a dream you might have had as a kid and add to the list, then narrow the list, add two columns -goals and talents, then pick one and prepare for it if necessary like with some education, etc.And, be creative in coming up with the dream.

3. Have moral courage and integrity, to help set priorities which need to be done. For each day, start with the highest priority item to be done, not the easiest since that is when the mind is freshest. Make lots of choices, making choices helps you become a better decision maker. Look for good decision makers, so as to model yourself after them

4. Know thyself - meaning know your boundaries. Learn to focus - multitasking not the best, here. "Sleep on it" is a wise thought, so you awake fresh with new ideas. Change habits, realizing labels can affect a person, so shake any bad labels others might have put on you.

5. Knowledge is an asset, but real asset is growth - be creative, an original thinker. Skim while reading, looking to pick up on new trends. Get away from organizations with too many rules -- the information age is really the imagination age. Kids start out creative, but society often takes away their creativity.

7. Have brainstorming sessions - lots of ideas, no criticisms, small group of people - no more than what two pizzas can feed, no longer than the endurance of a bladder.

8. Embrace ambiguity - life doesn't always make sense.

9. Be giving, generous - if you want something, first give it away.

10. Anxiety disorders are caused by fears, either imaginary or real.

11. Spend time with those who believe in you, avoid those who don't

12. Liberty means responsibility. Find an accountability partner to keep you dong the right things.

11. Push the limits of your thinking. Don't let emotions control you. Get over yourself - care about the project. Leave a legacy of change.

So, that's about it. If you think it will help you, fine, it might, but rally just a bunch of common sense, plus, like I said a "jolt" might actually screw up someone already happy and doing OK, maybe benefiting from some of the thoughts, but not needing major changes.

4.0 out of 5 stars More like a well-intentioned nudge, August 25, 2011
For some readers, what Phil Cooke offers will no doubt prove very helpful, will at least be worth the cost of the book. However, by the time I completed reading it, I realized that - for me -- the book itself needs a jolt of some kind. Perhaps fewer generalities, bromides, etc. The book's impact on me fails to (in Cooke's own words) to "shake things up" and realign my thinking, cleaning out the "clutter" that has been slowing me down and allows me to "start fresh." However, what he offers may have a much greater impact on many others. They would rate it Five Stars...and should

He credits John Freeman and Erik Qualman as sources for statistics that he shares in the Introduction (Pages xiv-xv) and they do indeed describe "a world that's constantly changing." Many people really do need a jolt that will help them to overcome or reject what James O'Toole so aptly characterizes as "the ideology of comfort and the tyranny of custom." Fair enough. I presume to suggest they look elsewhere. To Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson's Rework, to Seth Godin's Linchpin, or to Hugh MacLeod's Ignore Everybody and/or Evil Plans.

Cooke offers no head-snapping revelations, nor does he make any such claim. He has assembled from all manner of sources dozens of admonitions. For example:

From H.L. Hunt:

1. Decide what you want.
2. Decide what you are willing to give up to get it.
3. Set your priorities accordingly.
4. Be about it!

Here is a representative selection of other chestnuts:

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of what matters least." Goethe
"Learning is not compulsory...neither is survival." W. Edwards Deming
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." G.B. Shaw
"We'll either find a way or make one." Hannibal

For me, this book offers a well-intentioned nudge. I rate it Three Stars and, in deference to its greater value to others, arrive at an adjusted rating of Four Stars.

Jolt!: Get the Jump on a World That's Constantly Changing
Jolt!: Get the Jump on a World That's Constantly Changing by Phil Cooke (Hardcover - April 19, 2011)
$22.99 $19.78