5.0 out of 5 stars Jon E standard size

1.0 out of 5 stars Jon E Handwarmer
Published on November 28, 2010 by Dwayne

1.0 out of 5 stars Jon E Handwarmer, November 28, 2010
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
I purchased a Jon E handwarmer in Nov. 2010. I remember as a kid my dad had numerous Jon E handwarmers, we all used them. After my dad passed away I was rummaging through some old hunting gear when I found 6 of the platinum heating elements still new in their boxes. These were manufactured by Aladdin Laboratories, Inc., Minneapolis 15, Minnesota. Notice the postal zone, before the advent of zip codes. With that said, I too had problems with the new Jon E handwarmer staying lit, it would go out after 10-15 minutes. Frustrated, I was getting ready to send the handwarmer back to the retailer but I decided to try the old platinum elements. The case of the old platinum heating element is slightly smaller than the new one but I was able to push it on the handwarmer. The handwarmer worked perfectly with the old element. I repeated this test 3 times and each time the new element would go out and the old element would stay lit for hours until the gas ran out. I believe the newer elements are a inferior product and would not purchase the Jon E handwarmer for this reason. Look where they're made--China! I'm glad my dad had purchased extra platinum elements when they were made in the good ol' USA. I used Ronsonol naptha lighter fuel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon E standard size, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
I've had my Jon E for 3 winters now. I always light it according to the instructions. light the starter wick beside the catalyst and let it stand for 1 minute. Blow out the flame. (From now on, there is no flame in the warmer.) put the top on the warmer, and let it sit for 5 minutes. It's ready to use. In my experience this warmer works very well. It does smell like lighter fluid when lit. It comes with a filler cup, and burns 7-8 hours on one fill. I put this warmer in my inner coat pocket or pants pocket and it's rarely gone out. It gets very hot so I always use the bag. You can control the heat a little bit by opening or closing the bag. If it's in a pocket, I leave the bag open so it can get enough air. To put it out, take the cap off and pop the catalyst off the body. It will go out in several seconds and wear gloves because it's hot. I'm very pleased with it and I've just ordered the giant version. I'll write a review when I've used it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will NOT stay lit...without modificationS, February 15, 2010
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
I've read that the vintage Jon-E warmers worked very well, but this latest version has many design flaws that makes it Very Unreliable.

I have owned many brands of pocket warmers over the years, but not this brand (Jon-E). We are in the middle of "A TWO WARMER Winter" here, and I could only find only One of the other type warmers, so I bought 2 Jon-E's because of the Slightly lower price.

These new warmers Just Would NOT stay lit in my pocket until I looked at the differences between them, and the Very(Always)depedable other brand. And 3 things were noticably different...and need to be modified for dependability

1) The heating element on the Jon-E is woven, and "relatively" tightly braided, that also has a coil spring inside it, high about the bottom, fuel supply(none of which are like my dependable warmer).

You first, need to take the spring out..then, with a small blade pocket knife "rough up" the braided mesh on the element, so there are little "ends" exposed. Those "ends" are what captures and holds the flame of lighting it, And the Heated fules rising up from the fuel source to burn heat.
Next, the element sits way Too High in the holder. Push the "frayed up" wire-less element down, so there is no (or very little) air-gap to separate the heat in the element from the fuel fumes..and if you want, bend the retainer down to hold it.

Next, don't bother with the wick, it just uses up fuel and shortens the time available...use a Jet Torch cig lighter to make element glow...put caps on, let sit upright for minute or 2.

Then put inside loosly tied bag, not to extingish airflow...keep verticle, as possible in pocket...and will be "reliable". OR buy another brand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon-e Kidney Warmers, October 27, 2012
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
I purchased the Jon-E Kidney Warmer over 40 years ago. This is a cloth belt that holds two Jon-E hand warmers. The principle of this, is that when your kidneys get cold they take the blood from your extremities to keep the kidneys warm. Therefore, you get cold hands and feet. The two hand warmers are positioned to sit against your kidneys (approx a foot apart), thereby fooling your kidneys into thinking they are warm.

I have used this for hunting and ice fishing and never had a problem keeping warm.

I noticed that people are having trouble keeping their units lit. I have never had this problem in all these years. Perhaps you are doing it all wrong. You light these by using a farmers match or a charcoal lighter. Never hold the wick directly above the flame. Hold the flame next to the wick as long as possible. You can tell if it is lit by carefully holding it next to your lips. When you are sure it is lit, put the top on and leave it sit for 5 minutes or more, until it is too hot to touch.

At this point you can put it in the cloth pouch or in the kidney belt.

For people looking for Jon-E hand warmer fluid, you can find it at Cabela's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handwarmer ever made., February 7, 2014
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
I'm 56 yrs old. We used these handwarmers when I was a kid. They are dependable,put out good heat, and the element lasts for years. The bad news is, they went out of business. I have a sneaky feeling that Zippo bought them out. So they could sell their version of a handwarmer. What a piece of crap. Do yourself a favor. If you're looking for a handwarmer, get online and find some "nos" Jon-e handwarmers. Don't waste your money on the zippos. You would be better off just cutting a hole in your pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 7, 2011
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
I've had a JonE handwarmer for nearly 30 years and I use it while hunting in cold weather. The only reason I ordered a new one is because the flint and wick on mine was getting worn. I was pretty disappointed to learn parts are no longer being made and quickly ordered a whole new handwarmer. I'm 60 now, so I figure this handwarmer will see me through to the end of my hunting days. It's a fine product if you take care of it properly. Guess their longevity is why they are no longer being made!

4.0 out of 5 stars good work fine, April 20, 2013
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
works better that the zippos I bought last year burns very well probably buy at least one more in the near future

5.0 out of 5 stars JON-E Hand Warmer, December 22, 2013
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
When I was in the Army 1951,in Chinon France, the temperature dropped to 4 degrees below Zero. ! my wife sent me a JON-E hand warmer , The wooden shack that we lived in had a SMALL
pot stove at one end for heat. We did not have any fuel so we tore up every other board on the walk ramps and Gallon cans of paint. Being so small,they did not retain heat for a long period of time and kept going out. I took my hand warmer to bed with me to keep warm and in my pocket
during the day to keep my hands and body warm.We did not have any liners for our field jackets
or any gloves. when I came home I used my hand warmer when I went deer hunting.I have only
GOOD THINGS to say about my JON-E.
wlee219563@aol.com. Wm.Lee 6 Spring Lake DR. Kingston,NY 12401

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon E Handwarmers, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
Jon E Handwarmers Jon-e Hand WarmerPrevious experience with the Jon E Handwarmer was excellent. Product was used when camping during late fall and early winter. It did an excellent job keeping hands warm in very cold weather. I decided to purchase this product again based on past experience. I found this item listed on Amazon.com and advertised by LG Outdoors. The link above shows this product and a container of Jon E Handwarmer fuel. There was no mention in the discription stating that the fluid WAS NOT included in the price. These handwarmers require careful handeling so that user does not get burned or injured. The manufacture of this product strongly recommends using ONLY Jon E Handwarmer fuel. Product was shipped and there was a delay in receiving product. The delay was not created by the seller, it was created by the shipping party. My order was received late and the handwarmer was the only thing shipped. I attempted to find Jon E Handwarmer brand fuel locally. I was not able to find the fuel locally, so I contacted the seller, for the second time to request a Return Authoriztion number before returning the product (unopened packaging). I was told that I would be contacted with in 2 days with the required Return Authoriztion number. It has been almost 2 weeks now an no contact after my phone call with customer service. I contacted Amazon by telephone and they have taken care of this problem. I will have no problem purchasing items thru Amazon in the future. I will however NOT EVEN consider another purchase with the product seller. The Jon E Handwarmer was an excellent product, but finding the correct fuel locally is a problem and it is not convienient.

1.0 out of 5 stars JON E HAND WARMER, February 10, 2010
TIMEOUT (CLARKSVILLE, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard
WE LITE THESE WARMERS TWICE AND TWICE THEY WENT OUT WHEN WE NEEDED THEM MOST. WE USED TWO AND WISHED TO RETURNED TWO BUT WE THEN SEEN WE ONLY HAD FOURTEEN DAYS TO RETURN ITEMS.

EXPENSIVE PIECES OF JUNK!

Jon-e Fuel Handwarmers Standard