5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Funny, Factual

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant enough
Published 20 months ago by John Monch

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Funny, Factual, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
This is a solid, well-written bio of "the most trusted" (and honest) man on TV. It's not only informative and easy to read but the generous samples of past Daily Shows make it funny. I'd forgotten how the show covered the Iraq war buildup but here's all the madness again. And the Bush-Gore runoff. And Dick Cheney. And Stewart's Crossfire flap. And his onscreen duel with Jim Cramer. And who knew he proposed to his wife in a crossword puzzle? If you want to know what makes Stewart and his show tick, what makes them honest, what makes them great, it's all here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insight into a complicated, talented, influential man, September 9, 2012
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
I found the evolution of the Daily Show fascinating. As one who has watched it from around the year 2000 I did not remember how much it had changed. I thought the TIVO moments and one on one self-inflicted wounds of pundits and politicians alike had always been part of the show. Not so. I view the Daily Show as the most consistently funny and rewarding half hours on television. It is the much needed Anti-Fox with a lot more laughs than MSNBC.

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant enough, December 23, 2012
John Monch (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
As a big Jon Stewart fan, I found this a pleasant read. It doesn't break any new ground; in a way I find this a good thing. He is very private about family matters and I'm glad that his privacy wasn't invaded. It was more like a very long magazine piece, which was fine by me. In other words, if your expectations are for an extensive, insightful biographical analysis, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for something that's a nice enough portrait of one of the more influential voices in the public eye, it's a worthwhile way to spend an hour or two.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing you couldn't find on the web..., February 26, 2013
Dane (FARMINGTON, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
After reading this summary of Jon Stewart's work, all I could think was, 'Wow, now I'd like to read a REAL biography of Jon Stewart!' This biography contains little more information than is publicly accessible, and with which, I, a casual fan of Jon Stewart, was not already familiar. There were no exclusive interviews with anyone close to the comic, nor with the comic himself. By far the best section of the book was first chapter...which coincided with the free sample section on Amazon. The book is much weaker after that, does little other than summarize important interviews the comic himself has given, and leaves a profound sense of missed opportunity to fully explore this important American voice of reason and perspective in this age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real insight into what makes Stewart so funny, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
Much like The Daily Show itself, this short book is bracing and insightful. It offers original insights into Stewart's character and comedic process. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Watch The Daily Show, Read This Book, October 20, 2012
Ira Landess (Harpersfield, New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
This is a must-read for any viewer of The Daily Show. Bruce Watson's concise, insightful profile of Jon Stewart will necessarily enhance your appreciation of the truly idiosyncratic mind that has managed to transform the genre of satire into televisions's most reliable news source. It illuminates Stewart's personal and professional development from a confused adolescent who bombed on his first stand-up gig into a scathing but charming wit whose influence on the nation's psyche is so great that no one of national import can afford to pass up the opportunity to make an appearance on the show, regardless of how intensely he may be skewered. We are also witness to the imaginative legerdemain with which the intricacies of any given Daily Show are woven together. As much as you might already appreciate Jon Stewart, Watson's profile will afford you an even deeper respect for both his mind and his unique personality.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am such a fan of this man...., June 30, 2013
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
Jon Stewart is my hero. He brings a fresh perspective to the news. I appreciate his humor and intelligence. Here is what you don't know about Stewart- his childhood and then beginnings in show-biz- an easy read. Entertaining!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice., June 1, 2013
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
There are other books to choose from, but I am glad I chose this author. It was funny, cited many quotes and interviews, and was hard to stop reading joyfully.. I over-did my time on the ARC at the YMCA...Just a great read! Helped improve my fitness level! Yeay.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
As a 60 year old grandmother, I am not the typical demographic target for The Daily Show. That said, I can be proudly counted among Jon's biggest fans. I've been watching him since about 2004 and bought my first TiVo expressly for his show. I am glad the book protected his zealously guarded privacy, however, most of the content is old news to anyone who follows the show regularly. It contains mostly verbatim accounts of skits and 'reports' from TDS. I learned some things about the early, post Kilborn days, but otherwise not much. Still in all, it is always enjoyable to read about my favorite satirist/comedian and see that others feel the same way about him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up From a Stewart Fan, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Jon Stewart: Beyond The Moments Of Zen (Kindle Edition)
This book made me more aware of how Jon Stewart has changed and improved over the years. From his rather awkward debut on the show replacing the more exclusively comedic Craig Kilborn, to someone who has made The Daily Show his own - gaining the trust of millions of loyal viewers and the respect (or at least fear) of some of the most powerful people in the country. A fun and pleasant read.

Rate and Discover Movies