Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity (The Essential Edwards Collection)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 30, 2010
Book Review
Jason Scott

The Essential Edwards Collection
On True Christianity
Owen Strachan an Doug Sweeny

This is one of a five-volume set on the life and works of Jonathon Edwards. This particular volume deals with the issue of true Christianity. This volume contains five chapters: 1) The Contemporary Problem of Nominal Christianity, 2) The Problem of Nominal Christianity in Edward's Day, 3) Edward's Answer to Nominal Christianity, 4) Powerful examples of True Christianity, and 5) Edward's Dismissal and the Contemporary Call to True Christianity.

The authors of this book point out that nominal Christianity is a real problem in our day, as it was also a problem in Edward's day. A nominal Christian is one that claims to be a Christian, but has little or no evidence of being a true disciple of Jesus Christ. "Nominal Christianity is a notoriously difficult problem to trace and spot." Pg 27 " Two things are immediately clear, though: the state of the maturity of many Christians is quite low, and many churches are failing to educate their people in the basics of Christianity." Pg 27

Jonathon Edward's was very concerned with nominal Christianity.

" He devoted considerable attention
to unmasking nominal faith by
exposing its weaknesses and
revealing its inconsistencies.
he never let himself grow satisfied
with high attendance and easy praise." Pg 50

Chapters 1-3 are negative in the sense they are dealing with the problem. Chapter 4 is very positive because it gives two outstanding examples of people living a true Christian life. These two were contemporaries of Jonathon Edwards; David Brainerd and Abigail Hutchinson. This chapter alone is worth reading this book, as the reader is able to learn a little more about these two lives. These were not perfect people by any stretch of the imagination, but you are able to get a tiny glimpse of the struggles and successes of these two who were true followers of Jesus.

Chapter 5 deals with the surprising firing of Jonathon Edwards from his church in Northampton, and how that relates to the church today in the fight for true Christianity.
on January 29, 2013
This is the first book in the Essential series I've read and I found it to be extremely helpful in my "big picture" understanding of Edwards. The authors/ editors are to be commended!
I am definitely buying the remainder of the series - my appetite to learn more from this great godly man is now in full vigor.
on August 9, 2013
This publication is done excellently it is a joy to own and read. The whole collection is a treat. It is published by Moody Bible Inst. a very conservative school. Watch out for the Tract presentation.
on January 11, 2013
I have a really difficult time understand Edwards in his own words, so I very much appreciated the interpretation by the authors who inserted orginal text throughout. I feel I have a much better understanding of him. Will read others in this series.
on January 21, 2013
Great book. Nothing beats the reformers for their depth of knowledge and application of scripture. Get it and any others you can find.
on November 7, 2013
Very insightful. The writer brought various passages from Edwards' writings together to express his heart. I found it a very helpful read and helped me to empathize with his life in those days. For those who love Edwards, this is a very good guidebook resource.
on November 30, 2015
I found the first part of this book very challenging and convicting and caused great doubt that I might be only a nominal Christian. I found great consolation as I read what a true believer is in the next section of the book .
I recommend members as well as pastors read this. I am amazed and disappointed that too many members of churches today know so little about the Bible and are content with being fed by others with no desire to study and meditate on God's Word.
This small book stimulated me to do some soul searching and spurred me on to love and good works.
on December 8, 2013
Easy to read and gasp filled with meat and drink
Well spoken and sound teachings and truths will read again