Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Joni Mitchell's The Fiddle And The Drum
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

93%

on February 18, 2009
...but it's a beautiful work of art. I don't know much about dance or ballet but by the last couple of songs, I was moved to tears--joyful tears, actually. The dancers' performances brought something new to the songs and the messages they contain as a collection. I think people who are visually-oriented will enjoy it in a different way than a longtime Joni fan. Either way, it's simple, stunning, and moving.
on February 12, 2009
Every moment of this awesome performance and the DVD extras is quite simply stunning. Joni's songs here get new life of interpretation, esp. some of her (less well known children :-) more recent gestalt meaning layers such as in The Beat of Black Wings and Passion Play(When All The Slaves Are Free). Her understanding how the earth and religion interact is a completely strong line in her work that is more clear in this performance. The newer songs at the end of the performance (If I had a Heart, If and the excellent new Big Yellow Taxi) provide great lift and renewal. Plus the cyclops video DVD extra (Joni's music and her recent art work only) is compelling. Seeing that Joni herself was so intimate with forming the dancers interpretations and synchronizing the art only adds to the wonder of this collection. Get this now and be aware .... you may soon find yourself on the road to see this timely performance live. Joni's themes are where we are going now.
on April 24, 2009
I have been curious about this production ever since I purchased Joni's wonderful CD "Shine" in Fall of 2007. I've read a lot about it since then, but I was pretty much resigned to the fact that I would never be afforded the opportunity to see it. When I saw that it was available on DVD, I was thrilled!

Having just watched it for the first (and second) time, I am happy to report that it was $20 very well spent. It hits on all cylinders. The song selection includes some of Joni's very best, the choreography is inspired, the dancers exude passion and athleticism... but most of all passion, the lighting is spot on, and the director of photography captured the performance in a way that gave me goose-bumps.

I'm a huge fan of Joni's, but I think anyone with any modicum of appreciation for the arts will come away from this experience with an admiration for the talent that has gone into, and the amazing results that come out of, this.

Hard pressed to choose a favorite number, but "The Three Great Stimulants" has to be one of the best (finally... a track from "Dog Eat Dog" stands out!), along with "Passion Play" and "The Beat of Black Wings"... both amazing songs and interpreted wonderfully. "If" is just joyous... as though the after-party and reward for a night of hard work by the dancers as well as a message that it does not have to be gloom and doom and it is not to late for us to make a difference, change our ways and save our planet.

The encore of "Big Yellow Taxi" (while not my favorite song) is a great bonus and a great finish to the DVD. It was all over way too quickly, but this is a singularly superb performance by everyone involved. My hat is off (well, actually, I hate wearing hats, so it's always off, but you know what I mean) to Joni and Jean for their amazing collaboration, and to the wonderful dancers who brought their concept to life.

Buy this, enjoy it, and share it with your friends!
on March 9, 2009
Joni's collaboration with the Alberta Ballet was incredible. I have waited almost two years to see this ballet and am extatic about it finally coming to DVD. It was intense, thrilling, and beautifully done. If I ever have the opportunity to see it live, I will definately be there.
on March 31, 2009
It's nice to see artists from the sixties still creating art that is still hip by today's standards. Put it on and space-out. Watch it or listen to it....either way it's entertaining.
on August 23, 2014
After a long and fruitful career, the amazing Joni Mitchell, at age 70, considers this ballet to be her crowning achievement! Joni is loathe to listen to her own work. She is her own worst critic! Thus, this endorsement from the artist speaks worlds! Bravo Joni! This is a fitting crown to a lifetime of musical and artistic ecstasy!
on February 22, 2015
Joni's art is a timeless ballet. A celebration of life with all of its joys, sorrows and mundane every days that we miss when they're gone. This is an enlightening performance of the artist work translated into dance from a woman of heart and mind.
on July 30, 2012
The video is one that you will view repeatedly, the performance tight with sensual beauty and energy. The choreography is nuanced precisely with Ms. Mitchell's poetry.
I would like to see a performance of this in person. I wish that more modern dance were available on DVD.
on March 5, 2010
This is a haunting piece. I have had it in my head for weeks now! Amazing choreography and dancing, and wonderful music. It seems to shift to more upbeat choreography towards the end, culminating in an oddly perky encore, but still wonderful. My one complaint, it is over edited! There are flashes of the video projections that tear away from the choreography, and the occasional slow motion stuff drove me nuts... but still an amazing treat to have this in your collection.
on March 29, 2010
Awesome and worth buying! Wanted to go to the live performance but couldn't make it so I bought the DVD instead! I am so glad I did! Beautiful production with Joni Mitchell's voice.... is a true winner!