Joomla! 1.5: Beginner's Guide
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$44.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 13, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Learn Joomla enough to convert my site, where to start. I reviewed quite a number of books on Amazon until I came across "Joomla! 1.5: beginners Guide", this looks like what i'm after. I have already downloaded Joomla 1.6 and thought a minor increment in the version won't be a problem. What I found is the book is very good for beginners and walks you through the process with enough detail to complete the tasks, but not too much to be overwhelming. There is quite difference between Joomla 1.5 and 1.6. I would recommend two options, a) Use Joomla 1.5, or b) Wait unitl the next version of the Beginners Guide. That said, I still found the guide very usefull and was able to follow the guide with minor changes to the instructions and develop my new site. A usefull purchase.
on January 25, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I just finished creating my first website and it was somewhat of a breeze. I basically knew nothing about website creation, but this book really steps you through initial setup (Joomla installation) and then introduces you to the Joomla! content management system.
You learn to navigate a standard Joomla template, make adjustments to it, then make it your own.
The book provides a great introduction to Joomla leaving you with enough knowledge to further explore the interface on your own. I will, however, be picking up a second Joomla book to really dive into more complex site development. (now which book to buy...?)
on November 29, 2010
Format: Paperback
This guide is perfect for someone who knows absolutely nothing about Joomla or Joomla 1.5 and wants to explore using this fine, open-source Content Management System. The book starts with the basics and builds from there; perfect for the newcomer. There is some jumping back and forth that could lead to a little confusion and brief discussions about modules and plug-ins that come much later. Such discussions always lead me to skip ahead to find what the author was alluding to. However, in general, this is an excellent source for creating your first Joomla! 1.5 website or improving the one you've already built.
on September 4, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
After I first installed Joomla (which I was using to build a new website for my church), I spent 4-5 hours playing with it, but I quickly became a little overwhelmed with trying to understand how it worked. Joomla (at least to me -- and I work in the I.T. industry) is a bit confusing at first. I quickly realized that I was going to need a book to help. So, I hopped on Amazon to see what I could find. This book caught my eye, so I ordered it. I was glad I picked this book, because after reading the first few chapters (especially chapter 4 "Creating a Site in an Hour"), everything finally clicked in my brain and it all made perfect sense. And the more I kept reading, the better grasp I got on how everything tied together. By the time I finished the book two days later, I felt like I was a Joomla expert.

This will be a book that I'll be referring to over the next few weeks as I finish up the church's new website. I'm not sure how much help it will be after that, but I wasn't looking for a reference book -- I was looking for a book to get me started with Joomla.

PROS: Clearly written. Good examples. Good use of diagrams/snapshots. Good site referrals for Joomla extensions. The book goes beyond just the basics, which is good. Good initial advice for keeping your site secure.

CONS: This book has a number of typos and grammar issues, but that's minor. I think the author could have come up with a better sample site than "SRUP -- The Society for the Reappreciation of Ugly Paintings" -- its a somewhat boring recurring theme.

Final thought: I would DEFINITELY recommend this book to anyone who is just plain confused after they install Joomla. I think this will clear up the mystery for you.
on May 10, 2010
Format: Paperback
I recommend this book, Joomla! 1.5 Beginner's Guide by Eric Tiggler, for people who have no experience using Joomla! and for those who have tried to dabble on their own,but found that they need a more structured instruction. Although I have been using Joomla! for some time,I tried to read this guide through the eyes of a beginner and I found it comprehensive and non-technical.

I find the Author's approach of creating a demo site using the Joomla! sample data, and then deconstructing it, quite interesting. It enables a newbie to see some of the modules in action, and then to modify the content to apply to the demo site.

The book's organization is logical, it anticipates and answers questions, and is sufficiently illustrated. As you can see in the sample chapter,([...])the author presents the material, then offers a step-by-step instruction to initiate an action (Time For Action), explains what the outcome expected was, and finally challenges the reader to take action on his own, while still offering guiding instruction (Have a Go Hero). I think the Pop Quiz is unnecessary, but the summaries are succinct.

I am always looking to learn something new and I was pleased to find a few new tidbits this book.. I will continue to use Joomla! 1.5 Beginner's Guide by Eric Tiggler as a reference.
on April 15, 2010
Format: Paperback
In the early days of the web, a business would put up a website with a few HTML pages, some contact info, and be done with it. This was fine until their competitors started offering more dynamic content and services on-line. Customers began to have higher expectations for on-line services, and the web has evolved to meet these new realities. It's changes like these that have sparked the 'CMS Revolution', where businesses and individuals are empowered by software tools like Joomla! 1.5. Tools that allow a non technical person to build and maintain a website quickly and easily. Joomla 1.5 Beginner's Guide by Eric Tiggeler is a new book that covers a broad range of topics to get you up and running on your new Joomla! 1.5 based website.

You'll learn how easy it is to install Joomla! 1.5 on your own computer or a web server. Using a practical example website, follow the step by step guide to creating a basic site in just one hour. You'll learn techniques for organizing your content and navigation. This means that as the site grows, it remains easy to find what you're looking for, both as an administrator, and as a visitor browsing the site. Beyond the basics of site administration, you'll learn best practices to help you get the most from your website. Tips for attracting search engine traffic are included, as well as ways to enable visitor interaction, to keep people engaged with your content. In addition to the practical examples given, each section concludes with a quiz, to help reinforce learning in an entertaining way.

Even if you're new to web design concepts like HTML and CSS, you won't have any difficulty understanding this book. By following the practical, clearly worded examples, you'll learn everything you need to know to build and maintain a professional looking website. The material in this book will meet the needs of most website administrators. This is because Joomla! 1.5, and the many extensions available, are built with ease of use in mind. If you want to learn more advanced topics, this book doesn't cover those, but will still give you a solid grounding in Joomla! 1.5 administration. So for the more experienced web developers, it's also a great way to fast track your knowledge about the CMS.

So why are open source CMS solutions becoming so popular? On the one hand, it's about moving from static HTML based websites, to dynamic CMS solutions. This allows websites to deliver an engaging experience that's not possible with only static HTML. In many cases, it's also about users being empowered to publish their content directly, rather than relying on expensive and restrictive proprietary products and services, such as proprietary portal software. Joomla! 1.5 is free software, maintained by a word-wide user community, with the goal of empowering anyone to build and maintain their own website. I hope you enjoy this book, and that is helps you get the most from your Joomla! 1.5 based website.

Note: I'm a member of the Packt affiliate program. I'm providing disclosure of this fact, so that my readers can make informed decisions.
on March 21, 2010
Format: Paperback
If you're new to Joomla!, this is one of the best titles out there in terms of helping you get started with your first Joomla! site. Tiggeler does a nice job covering all of the basics: everything from downloading and installing Joomla on a server, configuring it, and confirming the installation to working with and then removing the sample data that Joomla provides.

Tiggeler does a nice job carefully moving back and forth between creating content, and giving it structure in the middle chapters of the book. In doing so, it's important to note that this book isn't about theory, it's about doing. Every section includes a "Time for action" that walks site owners through doing what was explained on their own Joomla site. For more adventerous site owners, there's also a "Have a go hero" activity that is less directed, and provides additional challenges.

In any Joomla! book, there are a couple of must-haves for me, and Tiggeler does a nice job discussing them. They include: search engine optimization, Web metrics and site security. He also walks users through installing and tweaking template design. For those who don't know code, it's easy enough to just work through the process of installing the template.

What sums this title up best for me is Chapter 4: Web Building Basics: Creating a Site in an Hour. I was suspicious at first, but am confident that with Tiggeler's guidance, it's quite possible to build your first basic Joomla! Web site in about an hour. That's an excellent premise, and the book delivers on it well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations