5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book well executed
While the entire book is not reproduced here, what has been done is very nice. The disc runs on flash is kinda slow but does give above average views of the entire book.This is a excellent addition to any Cornell library but maybe not a good place to start if you are unfamiliar with his work. It comes in a large presentation box, I give it 5 stars.
Published 21 months ago by James B. Mccann

1.0 out of 5 stars a major disappointment ...
Published 20 months ago by Nikki Soppelsa

1.0 out of 5 stars a major disappointment ..., December 8, 2012
This review is from: Joseph Cornell's Manual of Marvels: How Joseph Cornell reinvented a French agricultural manual to create an American masterpiece (Hardcover)
The box is large, heavy and inside is are two very thin books. The DVD froze my work pc twice before I could get it to load, and then midstream, the images just showed as large red squares. I'm not interested in attempting to load it again on any other computer. What you receive in this box is a fraction of what the original book is. I think if the expense of the box had been shifted over to the book, there would have been MORE book! I'm not interested in curling up with a box or a DVD...it's the book I was looking forward to.

As a collage artist, collector of popup books and books like Nick Bantock's Griffin & Sabine, I think this is a great disappointment in every way ... and most certainly for the price. As to the work itself ... it's interesting but a masterpiece? marvel? I don't think so. I have a similar work in progress that someone will discover in my basement one day and am aware of many other altered works by people I know (and people I don't) that are marvels, masterpieces with a great deal to learn from.

I've never returned a book before ... this will be my first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, February 7, 2013
Anthony S. Keys (saunderstown, ri United States) - See all my reviews
The worst book, I've ever purchased from Amazon. The Dvd was taped very heavily into the box. Taped! It was impossible to get it out. And the emulsion tore so it was not possible to view it. It is a big box with two small books and a dvd. It is not really a book, but just a big box. Even if you love Cornell,as I do, you will feel cheated. And you will be. Bah!! Enough of this...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what was promised, December 4, 2012
I was under the impression that this boxed set contained a complete "facsimile" of an altered book that Joseph Cornell made from an Agricultural Textbook. What arrives in the nicely appointed box case is a slim volume "Facsimile" that contains some pages from the aforementioned book. There is a DVD that presents the complete volume in digital form, but as for hands on book facsimile this just doesn't cut it. I was disappointed to say the least. The essays are interesting, and overall it's a nice package but it's not a full facsimile (or even close to it) of the original altered book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Mssing, January 11, 2013
I was so excited to see this Cornell book offered as a facsimile of the original artists conception. Couldn't wait to receive it. Even considering how complex the production of such a book would be I was very disappointed with the quality choices of the paper and printing. The publisher obviously made a choice to keep the costs down. But why do a book so special and unique, and then cut corners on production?

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book well executed, November 22, 2012
James B. Mccann "Film Scholar" (REDFORD, MICHIGAN United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars lover of cornell, February 9, 2013
always interested in knowing more about how cornell reacted to materials and composition and enjoyed seeing presentation of these original materials

5.0 out of 5 stars Another way to enjoy Joseph Cornell's philosophy!, March 26, 2013
I had not seen this version of Joseph Cornell's art. It came at a time when all my favorite books, including a lot on him had been ruined in a home flood. I had forgotten I had ordered it.
So begins my collection renewal and with a really fun title. I am so thankful to find these sort of books now especially since I have to re-order my library of art, psychology and philosophy books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this presentation!, February 7, 2013
Isn't more information about Cornell exactly what the world needs? Perfect little facsimiles of Cornellisms, and a nice book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, December 27, 2012
certainly a most exciting and novel gift for someone who likes art essays and creativity. a reall find for a good price

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 8, 2013
CAJ (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a Christmas gift for my adult son. I saved about 50% over the price in a book store. Great deal!!!!!!

Rate and Discover Movies