5.0 out of 5 stars Visions, Visionaries, and Nixon
Published on November 5, 2006 by John Angello

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in all ways
Published on May 23, 2012 by J. Borree

5.0 out of 5 stars Visions, Visionaries, and Nixon, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Joshua Tree: Desolation Tango (Desert Places) (Paperback)
When I got this book I spent the first week enjoying the photographs. I'm glad I devoted some undivided attention for these images. They express a personal involvement with, and a command of the subject matter. They would make a wonderful, gallery show. I was not in a hurry to get to the text, though, probably because I thought I already got the gist of the book from the excerpt in "My California" (Angel City Press), or that it was going to be a bit of a travel log.

What was I thinking!?! I clearly forgot who I was dealing with. This is the author that cracked wide open my emotions with her story of the heroic power of a young woman in the same desert ("Twentynine Palms").

Besides the blind side assault on my status quo, this volume, as most of what Ms. Stillman writes, performs well on several levels. Geology, botany, zoology, humor, history, and politics are woven together with autobiographical anthropology. And, despite the nonfiction genre, the book subtly tracks the opening, conflict, climax, and resolution of a play or novel.

Much of my enjoyment in reading her work is my perception of the recurring theme of putting Pop-Culture, Americana, and civilization in context. A kind of Grand Unification Theory. All political debate prompted by the biting, well supported commentary seems welcome in this Big Picture. And, Baseball is more than just a metaphor.

This book does satisfy the nature enthusiast's desire for the must see, and might see highlights of the Park, but moreover, it's well crafted, moving, and much larger than it's size suggests.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in all ways, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Joshua Tree: Desolation Tango (Desert Places) (Paperback)
I bought this book because I love the SW desert area, and the book had one 5 star review which I read. (Always a bit iffy if this is the only product the person has reviewed.) Got the book used via Amazon and was disappointed in the photographs and writing--the latter mostly. As I read thru the pages, I kept flipping to the back cover to see who is this writer. The book is neither a travel guide nor an introspective interaction with the landscape. I would say: desert chick lit. The cover, back and front with photos and blurbs are the best things about the book. I gave it one star because if I had checked it out at the library or looked at it closely in a bookstore, I would not have purchased this book.

Joshua Tree: Desolation Tango (Desert Places)
Joshua Tree: Desolation Tango (Desert Places) by Deanne Stillman (Paperback - September 15, 2006)
$14.95 $12.63