5.0 out of 5 stars Writing for Character
Published on January 10, 2010 by Kelly J. Eveleth

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution.
Published 11 months ago by Rocky

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor execution., February 2, 2014
Rocky (Wellington, NZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journal Buddies: A Boy's Journal for Discovering and Sharing Excellence (Paperback)
I have boy-girl twins who are nine. I bought this journal for my son with high hopes as I'd bought 'Just between us: a no-stress, no-rules Journal for girls and their mums' and my daughter loved it. Unfortunately Journal Buddies just missed the mark. The tone was way too young for a 9-year-old's reading age (eg "Excellence: you say it EX-sah-lens". I would hope that anyone over 5 would have heard the word excellence in conversation). While I liked where Journal Buddies is trying to go, the headings are overly lecturing and condescending (eg: "Focus word: Self-esteem"). For boys anywhere over about 7, you can't be so obvious. It would be better to 'sneak up' on the topic with some humour. My daughter's journal achieves this by having silly/quirky lists like your favourite movies or songs or most embarassing moment at school. It then sprinkles in some more searching questions (eg "what I would do if I knew I couldn't fail"). This is how it gets the child (and mum!) engaged without feeling, well...lame.

We have got around the user-interface issue of Journal Buddies by crossing out the instructions and writing in the stupidest and most hilarious "focus words" we could come up with. The result is a lot of laughter and some great conversations, but more despite the book than because of it. The journal *process* is terrific for boys - for the reason others have mentioned - so I'd love to see the authors try a slightly less earnest approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing for Character, January 10, 2010
Kelly J. Eveleth (West Wendover, NV United States) - See all my reviews
"Journal Buddies" is a wonderful resource for parents or other significant people in a child's life. My 7 year old son loves learning about himself in this simple writing activity that he shares with me and other people he cares about. My 9 year old daughter also jumped at the chance to write in this book. This journal is unique in that the writer's buddy shares his or her ideas also in the journal. From the activity the child learns who he or she is from other people's point of view and builds a positive image of who the child can be. One book is designed just for girls and another is designed just for boys. This very creative journal was well received by my children. Journal Buddies is one of my best discoveries as a mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE book for any child, February 4, 2009
This is a must have book for any child. It's an outstanding way to promote their confidence and self esteem and encourage a love of writing.

My son has very low self esteem and no confidence in himself. After using Journal Buddies for a few weeks he's really started to feel better about himself and his abilities.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars good jumpstart for writing ideas, January 1, 2011
TechG (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I got this for both of my sons for Christmas. My 7 year old son actually liked it more than my 11 year old son. I like the format of the book and the idea that writing can be shared with anyone in your life. I think for my older son he would rather writing be for himself rather than it be shared. Having prompts for writing can be helpful for some children and it's neat to look back over what you've written so I would recommend this journal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun journal for boys with a positive approach!, August 28, 2009
Redlady (http://redladysreadingroom-redlady.blogspot.com/) - See all my reviews
This is the perfect type of journal to appeal to boys who aren't often encouraged to share "feelings" and "emotions" as it may not be considered "cool". This journal is unique as it is designed to be interactive and promotes creative journaling and it is fun. I like the buddy concept and that the child's buddy can be a friend or parent or anyone that they choose. Their buddy can be someone different every day if they would like. It's also a fun way to communicate with your child and promote their positive traits. This journal focuses on finding and celebrating the positive, there is even a rule that criticisms and put-downs are not allowed. My son and I have started the journal and in his words, he "loves it"! He has said that it is a lot of fun. I like sitting down with him as his chosen buddy and talking about positive traits and qualities and see his eyes light up as he figures out what he wants to journal and create on his pages. He will definitely treasure this journal and it will be a wonderful keepsake to look back upon as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars I think they could be good in another year or two, November 8, 2014
Not quite what I was expecting. I bought this for my twin boys' 7th birthday in hopes of getting them excited about writing and sharing their thoughts. After receiving the books, I think they could be good in another year or two. My concern is, they will be too old/ too cool for the journal before they are ready to really use it. I tried to think of other boys I know to give it to and none seem to be at the right level of maturity and innocence to really benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for a child, October 28, 2013
I purchased this for a 9 year old boy. It helped him with his writing and he had fun doing it. This is a great idea for any child.

Journal Buddies: A Boy's Journal for Discovering and Sharing Excellence
$16.95
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.