Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 28, 2012
Flow is a good game. Flower is a GREAT game. But Journey... Journey is the best game I've played in my life, and I've been playing since the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System in the 1980s. The following review is SPOILER FREE.

It's difficult to put into words what exactly makes Journey so special. As the title implies, it's more of an "experience", and I might even call it a spiritual/digital pilgrimage, as odd as that might sound. I have never before been so captivated while playing a game, so fully immersed, and so interested in what would come next. This accomplishment is even more remarkable when you consider that Journey contains no dialogue (written or spoken), and breaks many of the standard conventions that gaming relies upon.

My recommendation for your first time through is to play it in solitude, in a darkened room, preferably with a good sound system, as the music is phenomenal. On the visual side, an HDTV is a must, and the larger the screen, the better. This is an incredibly immersive experience, and the more you can focus on it, the more you will get out of it. On subsequent playthroughs, it's fun to watch a friend play, and take joy in their reactions to the wonders they experience.

Journey contains an orchestral soundtrack that is breathtaking, and fits the game perfectly. The visuals are equally spellbinding, and they become more and more fantastic as your journey progresses. Photos do no justice to the feelings that Journey's sweeping landscapes will evoke in you.

One of my favorite aspects of Journey is that it can be completed, from start to finish, in a mere two hours. This means that going back and revisiting this incredible experience is relatively easy, even for those of us who are pressed for time between jobs and real world responsibilities. Journey can be played any evening after work, and it's fantastic to revisit its immersive, therapeutic, and breathtaking world. Making this game short was not a mistake, but a stroke of genius. There is no bloat, and every minute spent in the experience is finely tuned to provide maximum enjoyment, emotional stimulation, and thought provocation.

I downloaded each of these games as they were made available on PSN. Therefore, I do not own the physical copy, so I cannot comment on the packaging or the bonus materials. My review is strictly for the content of the games themselves, and I give this collection my highest possible recommendation.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've played through Journey several times, for a few reasons. The first time I played the game, the typical "gamer" in me came out. The goal, to get from beginning to end, while trying to take in some sights along the way. After I completed the game, I got it. It hit me what the point was of the game, and I restarted my Journey again the next night. I spent more time looking around, and found little hidden symbols along the way. Then suddenly someone showed up in the game with me. You can't talk, or type in the game. They are just there. You can chose to run around together or not. These other people just drift in and out in the game, all on their own journey. After I completed the game a second time, I had spent longer enjoying the amazing music and the astonishing visuals through the game. I put it away and didn't play for a while.

Then some time later, I learned there was such thing as players called "white cloaks". I wanted to see one, so I went again into the game and meandered around online. I met one who was on their journey, and decided to play through the game with them. We had so much fun working together. We had no way to communicate, we just had to use our intuition. We completed the game together, and it was almost a shocking moment for me. This game and it's meaning are so much deeper than one can understand on the first play through. The older you are, the more the meaning of this game will touch you.

After working for a while, I finally found all the hidden symbols in the game, and became a white cloak as well. My red garment turns white when I play, and my scarf regenerates itself, letting me fly for longer periods of time. While the game itself is short, it's got enough content for several play throughs. There is an incredibly deep meaning to the Journey, it's what the journey stands for. It's who you meet along the way, and your choices of whether to go alone, or take the journey with someone else. You can't "die" in the game as others have mentioned, but that's because it would defeat the meaning of the game. I agree with what others have said. Play this game alone (not offline, just alone at your home without distractions of other people around), on the best TV you have, with the best sound and in a dark room or in the evening. You will get the best visuals from the game, and have a better environment for contemplating the full meaning of the game. There is much depth to be found in it's simplicity.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2012
I was cautiously optimistic as I prepared to play Journey for the first time. There were so many glowing reviews by game journalists that I could not discount its quality, however I wasn't completely convinced of its greatness and so approached it with hope and a slight amount of pessimism.

There have been many defining moments with video games that I've experienced in my life. The joy and wonder of discovering likes of Pac Man and Centipede in the arcade as a five-year-old. As I grew up and video games changed, my horizons opened up with the possibility for adventure in The Legend of Zelda on the NES. Super Mario Brothers, Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Doom and Half Life. Each of these represented major evolutional steps in video games. Exploration, adventure, 3D worlds, immersion, storytelling. I look back fondly on all of those experiences but in doing so realized that as the years have gone by these types of moments came with less frequency and impact. I love games such as Mario Galaxy, Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim. I can appreciate the mind-blowing quality and depth of these games but they don't stack up to the experiences of my youth with, arguably, vastly inferior games.

It only took a short time with Journey to come to the realization that I was experiencing something that I had been missing for many years. Chills ran down my spine. My pulse quickened. I was enthralled. It was not immediate but grew like a wave, building slowly and consistently until the wave broke in a crescendo that was moving and awe-inspiring that left me speechless and teary-eyed. I had not been affected like this in years and perhaps ever.

Journey is an experience that is a privilege to partake in. It evokes a range of emotions from joy and wonder to fear and heartbreak. The visuals are a sight to behold. It is simple, but not simplistic. It will make you ponder life, friendship, love, loss and triumph. Journey deserves to be experienced.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 17, 2014
This game was one of the most moving experiences of my life, and that is a grand statement for an indie video game that only takes a couple hours to complete. It is simplicity itself; your little pilgrim character must traverse a vast landscape to reach a shining mountaintop of truth, always visible in the distance (unless you are below ground). You get paired up randomly with a maximum of one other online player at a time, with whom you cannot speak; you can only communicate through gestures and a simple, one-note cry that is both your name and your only vocabulary. Together you cross the wastes in search of symbols, which grant you the ability to fly for longer intervals with each symbol found, seeking a safe path to the mountaintop which beckons you onward.

The online interaction, being nonverbal and anonymous, was unique and engaging. The first time I played all the way through this game with one other player (which is not a given; you can lose or leave each other, just as in real life), I cried like a baby at the end. In the course of a few short hours I had created an emotional bond with a total stranger (who turned out to be, as best as I could gather, a girl in Japan). There are boards, for instance, where you are travelling through the freezing cold, and can only stay unharmed by huddling together for warmth. Brilliant. The gorgeous music, the haunting imagery and the simple storytelling all transcend language and deliver a game that is nothing short of a spiritual experience.

Sounds crazy? Yeah, when I read reviews like this before, I thought someone was off their meds, too. Then I took the journey. Try it and see if you can ever forget it. I know I never will.
on May 9, 2014
very VERY few things make me cry, i've watched some of the most emotionally moving things but nothing can come close to this.
Journey is the only game that i have ever played that moved me to tears, and not from sadness but tears of joy.
its been a long time since i cried from being happy and not sad.
hands down journey is one of the best games in history. no contest.
id like to think of my self as a strong man, i attempted to control myself but i just couldn't stop the tears from gushing out.
the only way i could describe how i felt is if you'd imagine watching the journey of one of your loved ones that past away, go to heaven. yes thats about accurate. it made me think about the people i lost and how they might have some amount of peace now that they are gone.
to be perfectly honest its underpriced. i would have happily paid 100 dollars for an experience like this. why not? i pay 60 to 80 dollars for games like skyrim and the last of us, as well as mass effect. yet you get the best of the best for just 17 dollars. id buy it over again if i could.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you have been following the Independent game scene, you you know that this industry is no longer fully underground. Within it, no game developer on the scene has succeeded with that they do as well as thatgamecompany. This company, founded by Jenova Chen, is becoming one of the most promising and exciting game developers in the video game industry. thatgamecompany's games teem with life, beauty, and emotion. Now, they just seem to be getting started. As the company is no longer tied down to a single developer with a small budget, I don't see their vision conforming to any sort of regression. I can only see their visions for gaming going through the roof. If they are able to do so, thatgamecompany could be THE indie game company to beat.

First, before I dive in, I want to take a route and warn customers: This package may not have value if you own a lot of the material. First, though, the contents of the collection themselves. I divided the review in three sections, so feel free to skip which sections you are not interested in.

THE GAMES THEMSELVES

For those of you who aren't familiar with this company, thatgamecompany focuses on delivering games that provide emotion, beauty, meaning, non-violent experiences, and communication. All of their games are highly worth playing, emphasizing a quality experience over other re-playability factors such as extra goals and side challenges. None of the games are particularly lengthy, and none of their games really have much traditional replay value ("unlockables", "pointless simulators of real life menial labor" "high score achievements", "collecting", etc. Actually, personally, I dislike most of these game play elements). But that's not a bad thing. As a matter of fact, these games prove that a gaming experience is galaxy more valuable than any thing else in gaming. Read Jonathan Blow's blog post entitled "Why Aren't Video Games Satisfying?" (on the website for his new game, The Witness), and you might understand why these games are very special.

thatgamecompany's video games, here on one disc, are all excellent. Journey is easily the star here, as Journey is definitely one of the most amazing games in recent memory. In fact, it's easily the best game I've played in 2012 so far (though my prediction for GOTY will be Dishonored). Journey is an interactive parable, designed to be ambiguous and open ended, so the player himself can make the work truly his own personal journey (yes, the title of the game is very accurate). It's praise for the game is really not hyperbole, it's an amazing melange of music, visuals, game play, and sound, all come together and mesh into one. While it's much too in depth to get into here, Journey also uses multi-player in one of the most meaningful ways in gaming (read up Chen's explanation on that). I don't want to spoil too much, but as an allegory released in the 21st century, Journey is one of the best games I've experienced. No joke, it's that good. Yeah, no matter your feeling towards "artistic" games, make the exception. Journey is a must play experience.

The other two titles are much smaller in content, but still terrific. fl0w, which was part of Jenova Chen's master thesis regarding Dynamic difficulty adjustment, deals with using an aquatic micro-organism, which grows as it consumes other micro-organisms. It's simple enough, but it's also a wonderfully soothing. Visually, it does a wonderful job with capturing the experience of evolution and the biology of life itself, like a more evocative Spore. Flower, one of the most well known indie titles on the Playstation platform, is also gorgeous. Flower also has a terrific sound track to back up the visuals, I definitely do feel that these two games show their budget, as both games sometimes feel more like experimental pieces. Having that said, I think that's a good thing. Even better, both games are also short and memorable, like a great animated short. Needless to say, all three games are unique, and worth the price for any gamer.

In fact, each of the games here really do have a personal meaning, especially to the makers who created the video games. Flower, for example, is pretty much akin to Chen's experience with moving to California from China, and what the settings and environment meant to him. At the same time, the games are also a personal experience, letting players themselves get what they want out of the games. Personally, that's the great thing about these games. Aside from the fact that they play well, feel unique and fresh, you really can't go wrong with games that are almost guaranteed to move you and are specifically made to inspire a wide range of emotions in their works. If this sounds even remotely appealing to you, then these games were made for you. Oh, and if you are a fan of Team Ico, also give these games a try. Chen considers Fumito Ueda one of his prime influences.

BONUS FEATURES

First, I do think that one set of the features are sort of lackluster. The three little mini-games, created as small diversions from the main games, are nice enough. Unfortunately, I found their appeal to be extremely limited. They aren't too much different from a flash game, and I find flash games extremely limited in replay value, and these ones were no exception. Worse, the games have little to nothing artistic about them, and they don't provide all that much emotional depth, and really just feel like they are just a way pass the time. Fun, but mostly a waste of time. Needless to say, it's not worth buying the collection for them, and I don't see myself ever playing these games regularly.

Fortunately though, everything else is great. In particular, the play through commentary is one of the strongest points, as it truly gives out some great anecdotes regarding the nature of the games on display. Like you might expect from a director's commentary, the commentary provided here provides for some truly interesting details, one that really inflates your appreciation for the games. I also particularly enjoyed the concept art, given that the artistic style is a huge influence on what makes these games brilliant. Flipping through them gives the same thrill you might get from enjoying a concept art book or a bonus gallery on a DVD. There's not too much to say here, other than the fact you get it for all three games, and they are highly worth going back to again and again. After all, the art in these games are so gorgeous as it is; I think they pretty much belong in a museum. Heck, it's better than most things you find in a modern museum.

The sound tracks that are included are beautiful. I won't comment on each individual track, but the music is beautiful, inspiring, heart-rendering, and absolutely lovely. Just take a listen for yourself, and you will understand. On the XMB side, the collection offers special Crossbar themes and avatars. As someone who has about twenty unique Crossbar themes on his hard drive, I can't help but get excited at what you get in the package, as they are all terrific. Avatars, ditto, as they often can say a lot about who you are as a gamer based on the picture (a picture, as they say, is a thousand words).

The trailer and developer diaries are also well developed, and the trailers themselves capture the game rather well. After all, some video game trailers (Dishonored, BioShock Infinite) are works of art in themselves, and it highly applies to these trailers as well. They are definitely worth viewing on their own. The developers diaries I also particularly enjoyed. Too often I feel that the developers themselves have no love at all for their audience, and never at once care about sharing what makes the games they make special. Well, thatgamecompany is different. When they speak, they provide some insight, and they never wasted my time here. They are definitely worth watching, and they really do a great job showing what drives the company in their quest to make personal games.

Finally, the 30 minute Journey documentary follows suit. It was clear that Journey was primed to be a great experience from the beginning, with each member on the team with the intention to do so. Thankfully, the 30 minute documentary definitely fleshes this one out, and by the end of the documentary, you will definitely appreciate the game much more.

Finally, the package contains a one month free subscription to PlaystationPlus. I'm not going to waste your time explaining the benefits of PP, so if you are interested, check out the benefits, which include, among other things, free downloadable games, as well as discounts and special online features. Having said that, it's not worth buying for the package. It's a trivial bonus, and nothing else.

OVERALL

As a big fan of the company, I was very much pleased with this collection. I actually just owned Journey at first, and I'm glad I invested in these games, because Flower and Flow are both terrific as well. Needless to say, these games are easily among the best indie games you can find out there. Needless to say, it's game companies like these that make me happy for the future of gaming. I do think the collection leads towards the newcomers, but that shouldn't stop you from checking out this collection. Just be prepared for this company. Keep an eye out for them. They may just do some amazing things!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2012
This is the game that you share with your children, because it's beautifully crafted and non-violent. The underlying messages are there, about how we are destroying our planet. It's packaged in a wonderful story with excellent visual and sound. Remember "Myst"? This is Myst in the 21st century. My favorite game collection of the last five years.
on December 26, 2012
I just played through Journey and that was the most amazing gaming experience I've ever had. When I started, it was pretty cool but nothing mind blowing but you just keep going and somehow it turns into this really awesome experience. By the end, I had tears streaming down my face and I'm choking up and I'm 40 yrs old and my main game of choice is Gears of War. Absolutely amazing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2012
Being a person who is detrimentally opposed to purchasing any and all digital content it killed me to not play these games so I overjoyed at finally being able to buy a physical copy of these games and I did so without hesitation. I can only comment on the 3 main games as of now since I haven't checked out the bonus content or the mini games yet and waiting till I have finished and satisfied with the 3 main releases in this collection.

Flower: An absolute joy to play. It has been decades since I played a game and found myself smiling and actually feeling happy playing it. It's such a simple game with no spoken dialogue, no words, no context given or anything. You use one button essentially, have the visuals and music throughout the game and nothing more. I found something akin back to a Disney movie of sorts about good and evil that is told so subtly that its mind boggling as to how they told a story that is barely there using so little and having such an effect on me. I played the game twice and had just as much fun the second time. Its a very soothing game, very peaceful and yet instills a sense of dread at certain points.

Journey: Like so many others, it made me cry at the end. I can't explain why or how but I just felt a surge of happiness that it made me tear up right at the last section of the game. Again it told this story using very little at all beyond just images and interpretation. Although this game seemed to have more story to it. Sadly I can't go into details without spoiling anything, but once you play it you will see what I mean. Wonder, happiness, sadness, danger, loneliness and excitement were feelings I had when playing this game. I played it twice but I'm holding off as I don't want to overdue, this will be a game I come back to again soon but I don't want to wear out its welcome.

Flow: Not a terrible game but just not something I enjoyed. It was fun, interesting and different. But it just felt unfinished and the controls left something to be desired. I didn't hate it by any means but it just didn't resound with me the way the other 2 games did. This was also their first game so growing pains are to be expected and you can definitely see they made a huge leap in their skills when making flower and further polishing themselves with journey.

All in all I can't recommend this collection enough. For 30 bucks purchasing it new shouldn't be a problem because I got more out of these for 30 bucks than I have spending 500 bucks on big name games from the past 2 or 3 years. I reminded me of why I love games like I did when I was a kid instead of just spending 60 bucks on brand x AAA title of the month and going through the motions only to finish it and forgetting most of what I just played. Not to mention your measly 30 bucks will support this amazing developer and keep them making more great titles.
on February 12, 2013
I'm the person who rage-quits the first level of LEGO HARRY POTTER. I used to play video games when they had only a joystick and maybe one button to worry about. I am confounded by the playstation controller.

This game is amazing. It is not a shooter, is kind of a "quest", but mostly it is very Zen. The graphics and music are incredible. Get this game and play FLOWER if you want to feel like you're flying. The soundtrack alone is worth the purchase price.

I'm also someone who plays a game once and I'm done. I don't like to replay levels. This is the only game where I look forward to playing it through again and again, exploring as much as possible.