Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: DVD|Change

on November 6, 2003
Running time 74 minutes. Track Listing as follows:
- Don't Stop Believin', recorded 1981 - Live, Escape tour .
- Wheel In The Sky, recorded 1978 .
- Faithfully, recorded 1983 .
- Any Way You Want It, recorded 1981, Live, Escape tour .
- Separate Ways, recorded 1983 .
- Lights, recorded 1978 .
- Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin', recorded 1979 .
- Be Good To Yourself, recorded 1986, Live, Raised on Radio Tour Mountain Aire Festival .
- When You Love A Woman, recorded 1996 .
- Who's Crying Now, recorded 1981, Live, Escape tour .
- Send Her My Love, recorded 1983 .
- Girl Can't Help It, recorded 1986, Live, Raised on Radio Tour Mountain Aire Festival .
- Open Arms, recorded 1981, Live, Escape tour .
- Just The Same Way, recorded 1980 .
- Stone In Love, recorded 1981, Live, Escape tour .
- Feeling That Way, recorded 1978 .
- After The Fall, recorded 1983 .
- I'll Be Alright Without You, recorded 1986, Live, Raised on Radio Tour, Atlanta GA
11 comment|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2006
This was an enchanting blast from the past. I didn't want it to end. Steve Perry produced it, need I say more.

I was never a huge Journey fan in the day, although Steve Perry's voice melted my soul the first time I heard it. Now I could kick myself for missing several chances to attend one of their concerts. Until recently I never the knew the history of the band or the reason for Mr. Perry's departure. If the Universe is listening, please, please, heal the past so we can see the REAL Journey members reunite. NO ONE can replace Steve Perry. That would be the concert of the century!!!!

In the meantime I will relish this video as well as the 1981 Live Escape Tour while holding out hope they will once share the stage again.
44 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2003
First, I am a huge Journey fan. I think the Escape and Frontiers albums are some of the best music I own and I will go weeks on end without taking a Journey CD out of my CD player. Now, as for this DVD, I am glad to see some of the bootleg concert footage I have had for years finally get cleaned up and look good. I think the DVD would have been better if this had been done in chronological order, but that is my opinion. That way you could see the hair/clothes/music styles evlove over time (and see the product placement from when they promoted Budweiser).
I would have liked to know why they just do not release the whole Houston concert, or even the Tokyo concert from that same year out on DVD, I think they would each be big sellers. As it is this is a great look at a wonderful band. I love to watch the "Seperate Ways" video because it is so "80's", one of the best videos for that time (best to make fun of).
If you are a Journey fan, buy this DVD. If you are a fan of drummer Steve Smith, but this DVD to see him (when they show him) playing live.
on January 12, 2005
This visual document of Journey during 1978-1997 is worth buying simply for the live cuts taken from the band's 1981 concert at Houston in Texas during the Escape tour, when they were really rocking.

Steve Perry is in fine voice on all the tracks from that gig, proving what an outstanding vocalist he is, whether in the studio or in concert. Check out "Open Arms" or "Who's Crying Now" to find out just how good the classic line up oif this band was on stage.

The live tracks from Journey's Raised On Radio tour of 1986 are good too, but the videos aren't too great, except for "When You Love A Woman", a terrific video from "Trial By Fire", the band's last album with Steve Perry. Beautiful visuals and great production values on this one.

The rest of the videos appear rather dated, though Steve Perry has to be one of the best and most emotional lip syncers in the business!!

Audio is simple two-channel, with no remixing or remastering for surround, and thus a bit disappointing and one of the reasons why this DVD only rates three stars. But the sound is smooth and the DVD sounds great when played live. Also disappointing is the lack of any bonus features.

It would be nice if Journey would now release the entire Houston concert on DVD with surround sound, or maybe one of the shows from the 1986 tour.

And as for all the critics who keep bad-mouthing Journey, ignore them. The catchy songs and the terrific playing just can't be put down for ever....
on February 2, 2004
Very impressive dvd! It was comical watching how energetic and enthousiastic Steve Perry was running across the stage. The lighting was really crisp and clean and set the mood for the songs. This DVD includes all major hits with some exceptions like Ask the lonely, Chain Reaction, Only the Young, and Rubicon. Cant wait until the dvd comes out! Hopefully the raised on radio broadcast will be released! Steve Please sing again YOU ROCK AND ARE A TRUE LEGEND!
on November 11, 2004
Take a trip back to the days when lead singers could actually sing.

These people who think the Augeri-led Journey is anything but a pathetic tribute band, a shell of what once was, are in major denial.

The critics who badmouthed bands like Journey, Foreigner and Styx...well, those who can't perform pontificate. No one listens to those critics anyway and they can't stand it ("How dare you NOT like what WE decree is good?").

The two bands I wish would reunite are Journey (WITH PERRY) and Three Dog Night.

I wish Journey would dump that Augeri guy (who needs recorded vocals at concerts) and go back to the REAL thing! With the crap passing for music these days, the reunited Perry-led Journey would be welcomed with...well, "Open Arms."
on November 14, 2003
I haven't seen the DVD yet, but you can read a great interview with Steve Perry at [...]
He talks all about making the DVD and what went into it. Very good interview.
on August 9, 2005
If you were or have been a journey fan through the years, you will certainly enjoy this dvd. It is simply a collection a live concert recording and produced videos.Some of the older videos are much over acted and over produced as most everything was in those days but are extremely loveable !.I found alot of material that i had never seen via mtv or other and truely enjoyed it.Although i had always listened to the dual vocals of steve perry and greg rolie on captured, to see them compliment each other on two of the videos was very enriching also.Very highly recommended for the price, what a great time capsule. If you enjoy journey you should like this very much...........
on May 18, 2004
I was so excited when Steve Perry announced that he and John Kalonder were working on a DVD of Journey video's. The first day it was released I ran to my local Border's store where they only had three left on the shelf.
The first thing that struck me immediately was how ALL of the band members between 1978 & 1997--the dates clearly shown on the cover--were awknowledged. I thought that was very nice to recognize everyone who played in Journey during those years.
Playing the DVD I was amazed at the video and sound production....the video is crystal clear digitally remastered and the sound is amazing!!
The mix of videos is really good....going back and forth between the live performances where Journey really shined to the glory days of MTV.....some of you might remember those days....that's when MTV actually showed MUSIC VIDEOS!!!
The songs are the soundtracks to our lives. "Don't Stop Believing," "Open Arms," "Wheel in the Sky..." all the greats are here.
And the there is the last video they did togather...their only Grammy nomination...the beautiful "When You Love a Woman..."
I almost want to cry everytime I see it.
I noticed some reviews questioning why certain performances weren't included and I would remind them that there is another DVD in the works! If anything this video left me waiting for more!!
Some have commented on being dissappointed that material prior to Steve Perry's arrival wasn't included on here. I'd remind them that the dvd specifies the years that Perry was in the band. I also have no interest in the band prior to those years and wouldn't care to see any of that work included. They were just a jam band before he arrived....he's the one who put them on the map and made Journey a household name.
While I wish the current incarnation of Journey all the luck in the world (they certainly need it with the rodeo's they've been playing lately) the fact remains that when Journey lost Steve Perry they lost their voice. He was THE VOICE and always will be.
For us Steve Perry fans this video is essential. And despite the little promotion for this DVD it still went PLATNUM within a matter of months....a clear sign how much Steve Perry and his voice are missed.
BUY THIS DVD! I gurantee you won't be dissappointed....Don't Stop Believing....
on March 25, 2006
I was born in 1979, so I never got to see Journey/Steve Perry live (would love to, though, if it ever happens!). But I grew up listening to their music and to this day I love it. Nothing beats cranking Journey in the car after a long day at the office.

Yes, the "Separate Ways" video is howlingly bad and takes away from a fantastic song. The Houston concert videos are my favorite: full of raw energy and inspired showmanship. I believe this was Jonathan Cain's first tour with the band and his enthusiasm shows! Next favorite would be the Infinity videos with Gregg Rollie, master of the B3 and no slouch as a vocalist himself!!

It's also a lot of fun watching Neal Schon (as far as guitarists go, he should be ranked up there with Eddie Van Halen, Brian May, etc.) crank out scorching solos, as well as seeing his hair evolve from a nearly screen-filling fro to total '80s jeri curl.

Steve Perry...what can I say! He's probably my all-time favorite male vocalist. Who can sing "Send Her My Love", "Open Arms" and "Faithfully" like him?? I melt everytime I hear those songs. A reviewer earlier mentioned his extremely tight pants...that's one reason why I love to watch this DVD so much!! ;-) Speaking as a 26-year-old woman, the man was a total babe!! The Evolution videos with the spandex and the unbuttoned shirt...sigh...

Speaking of spandex, get a load of AI's Randy Jackson from the 1986 videos! Spandex, flattop and a pink polka dotted bass guitar. Like many things from the '80s, you have to see it to believe it!

I do have to admit I am disappointed the Evolution videos' original vocal tracks are lost...it takes a bit away from a concert video with the studio recordings dubbed in...oh well. Also, I would have liked to see the videos in chronological order. I loved the visual style and class of "When You Love A Woman"...a song that came out when *I* was in high school!

A must have for any fan of Journey, Steve Perry, and/or spandex.