5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books you'll ever read!
Published on December 10, 1999 by Trancelucence (Leigh)

2.0 out of 5 stars I Want to Believe
Published on November 7, 2011 by Ro

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books you'll ever read!, December 10, 1999
Trancelucence (Leigh) (the land East of the sun, West of the moon) - See all my reviews
As a reader of hundreds of books on spirituality, religion, mysticism, etc. (Robert Monroe, Jane Roberts, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, Lobsang Rampa, Theosophy, Yogananda, Chuang-Tzu, Dion Fortune, Eckankar, etc., just to give you an idea of what I brought to reading this book), I can only say that I was ASTONISHED by this book. There are so many questions answered here for which I've never gotten satisfactory answers: for example, how suicide affects karma, why humans are so often evil (and what happens to them when they die), what the ultimate goal and purpose of life is (stated everywhere, especially in Christianity) but for some reason this is the first explanation that has made any sense to me.

This description of the nature of the universe and our place within it is fully compatible with discoveries in quantum physics, as well as many traditional faiths. It is simultaneously scientific and spiritual. I experienced profound shifts while it- was changed by it. I cannot recommend it enough. If you buy only one book this year, make it this one!

Added 9/3/13: I'm curious after all these years how valid or useful readers have found Newton's approach. I started a discussion called "Life Between Lives- Valid? Useful?"- it's on the Kindle Edition page for the book, at the bottom of the page, here:

Journey of Souls: Kindle Edition

I would love to hear of others' experiences with it, personally or professionally, or thoughts in general, especially as it relates to other approaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars I know we've met before..., June 24, 2000
Michael Newton collected interviews with some of his patients about their experiences between lives. Intriguing? You bet!
I am a mystic and have had memories of past lives, as have many people. My daughter recommended Journey of Souls, and in a conversation with her before I had received mine (her gift), I told her about my immediate past death and what happened afterwards. She was amazed as she said, "That's right." Why? The first thing I said was that I had died so many times that I knew what had happened to me. This was a familiar thread in this book because the trauma of death is exactly that--trauma; however, these interviews show hope and continuance.
My journey through this book was a confirmation of what I already believed happens right after death and of what the between-world, the place of souls, is about. So, although there was not a lot of new information for me in the first third to half of the book, it made me feel very happy just reading it because the descriptions from others paralleled my own. There is nothing so rejuvenating as corroboration from a myriad of strangers.
For anyone who wonders if there is life after death, this answers that question as well as providing insight into soul development and progression. One of the most interesting aspects were the "keys" that we memorize so that we will know certain people as they enter our lives; that feeling of "Gee, I know you," indeed is reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ground-breaking book offering proof that life never ends., February 25, 1999
By A Customer
I felt "flashbacks," if you will, as I read this book, especially the discussion about soul groups and the schooling-type activities that go on in the spirit world. It's good that this account includes multiple case studies of those who have been regressed beyond their past lives into this other realm -- and that their answers were strikingly similar. The concept of soul development levels helps to explain a great deal about human behavior throughout the ages. The spirit world's strong sense of kinship, love, and understanding stuck with me long after reading Journey of Souls. How wonderful if these concepts could be shared universally; perhaps human beings might cease to cause each other so much physical harm? Alas, part of the order of the Universe seems to point out that this will never be possible on Earth. That gives those of us who want to contribute positively to the world something to strive for. It also offers a sense of hope, that life, "Here" and "There," is an ongoing series of lessons, and that there is always a higher level of being to reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars My life-long search is finally over!, August 8, 2002
I was raised in a religious family, but something didn't feel quite right in all those rules. I stopped going to church and doing anything religious for a time because I just felt like it wasn't the answer.
On the other hand, I DID feel there was something that I needed in my life to balance everything else out, and that was my understanding of the meaning of life.
I have spent several decades in this search for truth. Until now, no one had been able to answer my questions. From the very get-go, this book leaves you with wanting more. I read it in 4 sittings (and that's probably only because I have a child!). This book touches on everything you have always wanted to know including ghosts, intuition, child death, crippled people, personal guides (before I was afraid they were 'evil spirits in disguise),time between past lives, why we choose certain bodies, certain familes, and certain talents all the while maintaining our free will in life & our body. This books touches on the union bewteen the mind & soul, when the soul comes to the baby, and abortions. Of course as the title explains, the book elaborates on all aspects of what exactly happens from the time our body dies until (and if) we choose to take an other.
This book is VERY conforting to those who :
*feel a void in their lives
*are searching for meaning
*are depressed
*have lost someone close
****Please remember that all of the author's case stuies come from hypnotized subjects. If you don't *believe in* hypnotism, you'll find this a waste.
This is an excellent book and I have recommended it to several of my clients( I am a Life Coach).
This book helped me to uncover my real priorites and get back to the *important* things in life. You won't regret buying this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploring the Spiritual World, March 29, 2004
Thomas J. Donahue (Grand Haven, Michigan) - See all my reviews
It took many years after leaving the monastery for me firmly to decide that the Catholic Church was just another corporation driven by power and money. I threw out the baby with the bath water.
Many years later I read Dr. Raymond Moody's "Life After Life" which introduced me to a spiritual world I might be able to understand and rationalize rather than just believe. Dr. Moody interviewed over 100 people who were declared clinically (brain and heart) dead, and later revived. He tells their stories. Dr. Newton's "Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives" picked up where "Life After Life" left off, and takes a giant leap toward understanding the life of the immortal soul.
I'd like to live my life looking toward that "last judgment" I learned about in school. Dr. Moody tells how a "being of light" asks a non-verbal question which none of his subjects is able to reproduce precisely in words. This early discovery of Dr. Moody was published in 1975. Dr. Newton's 1994 "Journey of Souls" explains the process more thoroughly. Dr. Newton hypnotizes people, and helps them explore their past lives and their spiritual existence between lives while under hypnosis. The non-verbal question is far more complex than "What have you learned?", "How have you loved and been loved?", or "Was it worth it?" -- the approximations interpreted by Moody's subjects.
Dr. Newton, through summaries and transcripts of his hypnotherapy sessions, helps us learn about spirit guides, (guardian angels), our welcoming into the spiritual world after death (judgment), and the maturation of the souls (karma/nirvana/the beatific vision).
I've looked for this kind of guidance for years in the monastery, in Europe, in Asia, in the Middle East, in scriptures, books, fellowships, churches, temples and synagogues. Life After Life and "The Journey of Souls" and has caused changes in the very foundations of my beliefs, and helps unite the concepts of Christianity, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, and other religions. For my own journey toward an understanding of the meaning of life and death, Dr. Newton has offered sign posts in poorly charted territory.
If you are interested in spiritual life beyond the doctrines of the organized religions that are based on power and money, "The Journey of Souls" is a must read.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Want to Believe, November 7, 2011
I first discovered this book in 2004, and upon first reading it I was astounded, comforted, and very intrigued. Over the years since then, I've reread it a couple more times, as well as Michael Newton's follow-up book of case-histories "Destiny of Souls". Unfortunately, the more I reread these books, the more convinced I am that this is not a factual picture of the afterlife. The language used in the various transcripts is always very detailed, articulate, and flowing - in fact, all of the case history transcripts exhibit "one voice" and it is an exceedingly articulate and erudite voice. This despite the fact that most of the footage I've seen of subjects in deep hypnosis show most of them speaking haltingly and only semi-coherently. More and more, I am coming to believe that the case history transcripts in the books are figments of Michael Newton's own personal vision: this appears to be his OWN paradigm of the afterlife which he has synthesized by studying the philosophies and religions of the world (which he clearly acknowledges in his writings). I am not suggesting that there is no afterlife and no reincarnation...but I am suggesting that people pay close attention and read these books with critical thinking skills firmly in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Find Out What Happens When You Die...and Between Lives, November 13, 2004
"Are you afraid of death? Do you wonder what is going to happen to you after your die? Is it possible you have a spirit which came from somewhere else and will return there after your body dies, or is this just wishful thinking because you are afraid?" --Dr. Michael Newton in Journey of Souls - Case Studies of Life Between Lives

At one time or another, everyone wonders what happens to them when they die, and what lies beyond the grave. In his book Journey of Souls - Case Studies of Life Between Lives, Hypnotherapist Dr. Michael Newton chronicles the experiences of 29 people that were under deep hypnosis and their experiences between lives. Many books have been written about past lives, but this book addresses what happens between lives.

Dr. Newton did not set out to regress people beyond their current earthly lives. In fact, as a skeptic by nature and one oriented towards traditional therapy, he resisted requests to do past-life regression--feeling that this was unorthodox and unethical. However, one of his clients complained of a lifetime of chronic pain on his right side, and during one of their regular sessions, the client made stabbing motions to describe the kind of pain he felt. When searching for an explanation for this client's choice of images, he uncovered that his client had a past life as a WWI solider that was killed by a bayonet in France. Through this discovery, they were able to eliminate this pain altogether.

He then began to do past life regressions, but then stumbled on a discovery of enormous proportions: he found that it was possible to see into the spirit world through the mind's eye of a hypnotized subject who could report back to him about life between lives.

Dr. Newton explains:

"The research was painfully slow, but as the body of my cases grew I finally had a working model of the eternal world where our souls live. I found thoughts about the spirit world involve universal truths among the souls of people living on Earth. It was these perceptions by so many different types of people which convinced me that their statements were believable. I am not a religious person, but I found the place where we go after death to be one of order and direction, and I have come to appreciate that there is a grand design to life and afterlife."

Dr. Newton shares actual dialogue culled from audio recordings of regression sessions between he and his clients about what happens at the gate of death, who meets us on the other side, what we do once we're there, the purpose of our life, the role of guides, the nature of karma, cluster "study groups", inter-soul communication, what happens to "disturbed" souls, aura colors, the different levels of souls, and much more.

I found Journey of Souls utterly fascinating, as well as Dr. Newton's sequel Destiny of Souls. However, my experience with these books was much more than mere intellectual fascination: both my husband and I experienced an utter paradigm shift about the afterlife, the Creator, and the purpose of life. Up until reading these books, I was still on the fence about reincarnation, and my husband's perspective was "no way!" The compelling regression sessions chronicled in this book convinced us otherwise, largely because of the consensus among regressed clients and how their reports confirmed some spiritual notions we were discovering on our own through direct experience.

No other model made sense to either one of us; we long concluded that there was no literal hell, but what of suffering on Earth? Are our bodies, and our lives, completely random and arbitrary? Is it really possible we live more than one life? Why are we born into the family we are, especially if it results in abuse or pain?

In these books we discovered that individuals carefully choose his or her own body and life circumstances to bring about certain experiences and to draw the soul closer to the perfection of the Creator. The whole point of incarnating is for self development. Yet, no one is rushed back into incarnating, and every soul has a chance to enter a dimension of time/space to "try out" a life and decide if this is the best choice for their own path.

On the other side, there is playfulness, exploration, role playing, lessons, growth, past life examination, and so on. It is a place of rest, healing, rejuvenation, and self-examination. There are "schools" and our learning is a part of a specialized soul group. We have guides who teach us how to work with energy, and others who open up "books of life" so we can scrutinize our past life performance--and decide where we messed up, and how we can best grow in future lives.

A helpful aspect of this book is the explanation of why some individuals go through difficult relationships, especially as children:

"When clients tell me how much they suffered from the actions of family members, my first question to their conscious mind is, 'If you had not been exposed to this person as a child, what would you now lack in understanding?' It may take awhile, but the answer is in our minds. There are spiritual reasons for our being raised as children around certain kinds of people, just as other people are designated to be near us as adults...

...whatever happens to us in life, it is important we understand that our happiness or pain does not reflect either blessings or betrayal on the part of a God-oversoul, our guides, or life selection coordinators. We are the master of our own destiny."

Most encouraging though, especially to those who fear a vengeful God awaiting them after death, is that we are not condemned or punished in the afterlife. Newton writes:

"All soul evaluation conferences, be they with our guides, peers, or a panel of masters have one thing common. The feedback and past life analysis we receive in terms of judgment is based upon the original intent of our choices as much as the actions of our lifetime. Our motivations are questioned and criticized, but not condemned in such a way as to make us suffer."

I highly recommend Journey of Souls, especially if you're searching for answers about the meaning of your life, why things happen, and what happens after death. Truly, we are never alone and are always surrounded by a supportive "great cloud of witnesses".

Janet Boyer, author of The Back in Time Tarot Book: Picture the Past, Experience the Cards, Understand the Present (coming Fall 2008 from Hampton Roads Publishing)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I didn't start with this one but ..., January 8, 2001
... it has been interesting. I've been voraciously reading about reincartnation. As with many people I was told about a book called "Many Lives, Many Masters" which started me down this path. I've read all of Brian Weiss's works on past-lives and have now started reading Michael Newton's books but it's going to take a bit longer. The biggest word to describe this is "CLINICAL"! The author writes as though he is presenting his work to a room full of collegues rather than the average reader. Having said this, I have found his case studies extremely interesting as they serve to augment (for me) Brian Weiss's works. Brian focuses on the actual past life experience while this book focuses on the time inbetween to bring us a more complete image of our exsistance. I look foward to reading "Destiny of Souls".

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey of Souls Changed the Way I Look at Life, November 23, 2001
By A Customer
For years I've dabbled with, "New Age" ideas, but I never found the answers to my questions about life, karma, and suffering. I turned away from all new age, and new thought thinking when my young child developed a serious, and life-threatening illness. I couldn't find anything in the, "New Age" literature that answered my questions of, "Why?"
Having my adult life consumed by illness, I could no longer sanctimously talk about, "karma", and "lessons" that I needed to learn. Most importantly, I couldn't swallow that my child wasn't a, "victim", and that because of something he did in another life, he, "earned" this illness through the laws of karma.
I stopped reading, and listenting to anyone who preached, "no one is a victim". I knew my son was a victim, and I knew that I was a victim. I didn't apprecite hearing that God wouldn't give me more than I could handle, and I didn't appreciate hearing that, "we were working through karmic issues."
And so I floundered for years, closed off, and unable to receive the nurishing sustenance that religion, and spirituality has to give. Then I read, "Journey of Souls", by Michael Newton. In this one book, I received the framework of human life, that made sense to me. I finally understood clearly, if not completely the purpose of my son's birth, his illness, our struggle, and the gifts that we have in fact received as a result of it. I came to understand the nature of God, love, compassion, illness, suffering, life, death, and karma.
I no longer struggle trying to understand Good and Evil. I no longer feel scorched by the suffering I see, but can not stop. I no longer feel betrayed by my own suffering. The gifts I received by Michael Newton's first work, "Journey of Souls", have supplied me with a peace I was not able to find anywhere else.
I am very grateful to be alive at this time in history, when through the click of a mouse I was able to order through Amazon a book that sounded, "interesting", but that in fact, so profoundly changed my life, that I see everything in a new, and different light.
If you struggle like I did with the anomalies in religious teaching that ask you to, "take on faith", what it can not answer, you may enjoy reading a book that is not afraid to supply you with the answers you haven't been able to find anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Reasons I'm Skeptical & Leap of Faith, November 16, 2007
I don't generally pay much attention to people who relate near-death or past-life experiences because, frankly, it all sounds like New Age mumbo-jumbo to me. Near-death experiences are, by definition, only NEAR death rather than the real thing, so any observations from someone who "came back" are inherently flawed. Past-life memories make a certain amount of sense to me since I believe in reincarnation, but they are also susceptible to current-life egos - like all those people who insist they were someone famous like Cleopatra.

This, however, is something different. If Newton is telling the truth, thousands of people from very different spiritual backgrounds - from atheists to religious zealots - all give about the SAME DETAILS under deep hypnosis of what it is like in the spirit world. These details are far, far too specific to be explained as mere ego fantasies or coincidences, and since he claims to ask non-directive open-ended questions during hypnosis, the consistency of what he claims they report is startling. It's the CONSISTENCY OF DETAILS provided by thousands of unrelated subjects that is most persuasive for me.

So, what it comes down to is the question of whether he is telling the truth about his work or just making the whole thing up. If he is not telling the truth and this is all a hoax, it is an extremely elaborate one that he has somehow managed to carry on for decades. His books have sold about 500,000 copies over the last 13 years, so critics have had plenty of time and reason to expose any fraud. Given the thousands of people he claims to have personally had sessions with since the 1970s, and given that he has trained other hypno-therapists who have used his technique on countless more people, it seems unlikely to me that he would be able to maintain such an elaborate hoax over such a long period of time. Although he certainly has his critics, I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet that actually debunks his research. IF YOU CAN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Until that point, I'm inclined to put my SKEPTICISM aside and assume that the session transcripts he includes in his books really happened.

My SKEPTICISM is based on the following:

1) As a PhD, he is very familiar with the rigors of academic research, so what's with the total lack of substantiation for his claims? If this isn't a hoax, his findings are monumental and deserve academic validation - independent reviews of session tapes, for example. If he can include transcripts in his books, he should be able to make the original tapes available for peer review. Anecdotal evidence is interesting for the casual reader, but doesn't really validate his claims.

2) As a playwright myself who has struggled with writing dialogue, his transcripts don't sound very real. Perhaps that's because the subjects are in deep hypnosis, or because at the soul-level we all sound alike - or perhaps it's because he's just making the transcripts up as he goes.

3) There are important areas he doesn't address in his first two books. I haven't read his 3rd book yet, so I'm waiting to see if he says anything about these areas. For example, how does shamanism fit into all this?

4) Despite the above reservations, the way he describes the spirit world sounds very convincing to me. Ironically, it is so convincing that it makes me suspicious. If I were to create a hoax regarding the spirit world, his multi-tiered system of non-judgmental educational development is about how I would have designed it myself. In other words, I am suspicious of being seduced by a vision that is so similar to what I would have created if I had been intent on perpetuating a hoax. I realize this is a double-bind, but so be it.

Despite my skepticism, I'm willing to take the leap of faith and say that, with reservations, this is what I believe. I still have some unanswered questions so this might change, but for now it's the best explanation I've heard thus far.

If you are interested in knowing what he has to say, a good place to start might be a 30-minute interview with him that someone posted on YouTube.Com. Go to [...] and search for "Michael Newton between lives." I'm not very good at telling when people are lying, Perhaps you are - in which case you cand decide for yourself by watching his video.

Good fortunes to us all.

Rate and Discover Movies