5.0 out of 5 stars Baron, Great As Always!
I have a very extensive Yoga DVD/Video collection (over 80 and counting). Out of all of them, Baron is definitely my overall favorite teacher, hands down!

Published on August 9, 2005 by CPTScott

3.0 out of 5 stars Too disjointed
I love Baron and I should preface this review by saying I have considerable Power Yoga experience, though I'm far from expert. I also have to work within some physical limitations.

That said, I found this video far too slow and disjointed and, as one reviewer said, too easy even for beginners. It had no flow like you expect in vinyasa yoga.

I would...
Published on October 10, 2006 by Susanna Hutcheson

5.0 out of 5 stars Baron, Great As Always!, August 9, 2005
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)

This program is a 30 minute, moderate intensity vinyasa flow. It is similar in intensity with Baron's "Unlocking Athletic Power" and "Core Power" programs in terms of length and difficulty. It's slightly more intense (mostly just by virtue of being 10 minutes longer) than his "Power Yoga Basics" program which is found on his "Transform Your Life, Yoga With Baron Baptiste" which was originally aired on PBS.

This "Journey Into Power" Level 1 program is very well rounded, has clear instruction and a nice overall feel to it. It's a class setting so you get to see lots of different ways of doing the poses.

Baron has a wonderful approach in that students should use their intuition to approach the poses at their own level of ability or energy level on any given day. You should go to your own personal "edge" without going into overwhelm.

I've been doing Yoga daily for over 7 years and found this DVD very useful for a shorter practice. My 12 year old football playing son has worked with Baron's programs and has gotten tremendous benefits from them (and did this particular DVD this morning) and my wife who is fairly new to yoga jumped right in to this program and has really enjoyed it and is making wonderful progress in strength and flexibility after only doing it for about 4 or 5 days. She also loves Baron's approach which is not intimidating even though she still finds it challenging enough to make her feel like she's getting benefits from it.

I hope this review helps those who are interested in trying a vinyasa (flow) based style of yoga, those curious about Baron as a teacher in particular or those who may be familiar with Baptise Power Vinyasa Yoga but are looking for a shorter practice to mix in with their other programs.

Namaste

3.0 out of 5 stars Too disjointed, October 10, 2006
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)

I would say that if you need to learn the very basic poses this would be a good video. But if you want a short practice that flows, this is not a good video for you.

I would suggest a Bryan Kest video or most any other Baron Baptiste videos. But just not this one.

I enjoy short practices and Rodney Yee, Bryan Kest and even Baron have some very good ones. I would pass on this unless you are a real novice and need to understand the basic poses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for experienced beginners., May 4, 2006
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
I think is a great yoga dvd. It is a worthwhile substitute to attending a Baron Baptiste yoga class. While the instruction is superb I still find there are a few flaws with the DVD. The instruction assumes that you have an understanding of how to assume the poses, as well as the ability to do them correctly.

This is not a DVD for the total beginner, who has no knowledge or experience of yoga. There is no accompanying instruction or breakdown on the postures. I think someone entirely new to yoga would be lost trying to follow this program. Also there are a few minor mistakes in the instruction that might confuse the viewer.

If you have no experience or undestanding of yoga I suggest you first try the Yoga Zone DVDs which have slower instruction and repeat the steps for each pose so you can see how they are done. I also suggest for the complete beginner to attend a yoga class to get at least a foundation on yoga postures and learn the proper way to do them.

Though I don't think this DVD is easy for the total beginner, I think those with a basic knowledge of yoga would greatly enjoy it. It moves quickly and flowingly. It is not slow and sedative like some of the yoga DVDs out there. It keeps a quick pace that is easy to follow and does not bore you or let your mind wander.

It is definitely good for strength and stamina building without being too challenging. I consider this to be one of the best yoga DVDs Baron Baptiste has done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vinyasa Yoga Video, April 22, 2004
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
This video is great for the beginners and the advanced beginners. I started taking a Vinyasa class and was unable to coordinate my schedule with class times so I looked for a video to supplement my practice at home. What a great choice. Baron Baptiste takes his time to explain the poses and provides the mood that is needed to practice yoga at home. I highly recommend this DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too easy even for some beginners, IMO., May 8, 2005
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
This DVD is the first real Yoga I have ever done, and although it was relaxing, I found it far too easy and only used this DVD once. I bought it one along with the Level 2 and went straight into the Level 2 after that.

I do have a somewhat athletic background, and/but am naturally very inflexible and not the best at balance. Coming from that background, although I enjoyed this DVD I personally found it too easy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hard for real beginners, December 22, 2004
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
I'm sure this is a great tape for yoga enthusiasts, but it's way too hard for real beginners. I do aerobic exercise for 30-60 minutes a day, so I'm not a complete couch potato. I thought I could use some strengthening and stretching exercises, so I bought this program. The trouble is that there's no working up to the positions -- it's all or nothing, and if you're not strong or flexible enough to hold the position, down you go. I found it really, really hard. I could manage less than half the positions. Since each flows into the next, you don't get to stop and try less advanced versions. I hate to think what the advanced programs are like! I also have a small quarrel with the outside of the package, which says that the participants are of "all body types." That would be both slim and strong, and very slim and strong. There are no pudgy real beginners on this tape. For instance, if you're a woman who can't already do a number of full-body push-ups (no touching your knees to the floor!), you won't get through this tape. I think this would be a good program for people who've already done considerable yoga or strength training. But it's not for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Well-Balanced Workout, September 8, 2011
DD (Dayton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
I've done yoga off and on over the years and don't consider myself very advanced. I have several of Baron's workouts as well as several others by Rodney Yee and Shiva Rea. I've owned this DVD for years and this is the one I like to do most often. The ab workout is awesome. I'm male and sometimes find, for me, that some workouts will over-emphasize the legs until I feel like my thighs are about to catch on fire and my femurs to snap in two. This one does not. My problem area is more my core so this workout is right for me. It does hit your legs as well as stretching you from head to toe. It's a well-balanced workout. After letting myself get pretty out of shape, I've gotten back into doing yoga recently and have been doing this workout almost every morning for about a month and have dropped significant weight, gained much more flexibility and feel much more energized. I guess I have indeed elevated my altitude of attitude. Now if I can just keep doing yoga once I get where I want to be.

I've noticed a lot of complaints of this "beginner's" workout as well as from other yoga teachers who have workouts for beginners. The complaint is usually that it is too tough for a real beginner. I would say that anyone who is truly a beginner, has never done yoga and possibly out of shape, don't try a whole workout right away - from anyone. Maybe if you are already a practicing athlete only. First work on stretching until you have some flexibility. Maybe find a DVD only on stretching. Otherwise you are probably going to hurt yourself. Then learn some of the basic poses until you can do them without falling over and have decent form. Then eventually do parts of a whole workout. It might be helpful to find a teacher to show you the basic poses so you know your form is OK. It's a little difficult to really know what you look like when you do a downward dog and if you really are close to an inverted "v" for example. Once you are ready for a whole yoga workout, this one is an excellent start.

Baron seems like a really pleasant guy, too. I like how he explains how you can alter many of these poses to make them simpler if you want. Baron also explains the poses well enough that you don't have to watch the TV to understand what he is doing after you've gone through it a few times. That is really important while you are doing a workout.

If you want mind blowing scenery, incredible production, exotic locations and a more metaphysical type approach, a Shiva Rea DVD is pretty amazing. But I found I needed to work with Baron before I could keep up with Shiva. And you don't really watch the DVD that much while you are doing a workout anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Altitude of Attitude!!!, August 5, 2009
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
The first thing that I realized is Baron's voice is very calming. He comes across as caring and is very subtle. I never felt rushed or pushed only supported and encouraged! "Lifting the corners of the mouth"

He takes time to explain every move, breaking it down in extras on the DVD, and shows you the best way to perform the poses with modifications and allows you to get to the end at your own level.

His calm demeanor and his easy listing voice makes you want to come back and practice everyday.

I had done the full Vinyasa Power Yoga workout with Joseph in Tucson, AZ. Although I enjoyed it very much, it was far too intense for this complete beginner in the humidity and 90 degree heat for 1 1/2 hours. But, I'm working my way back to the classes and this DVD is taking me there, fast!

This DVD lets me go at my own pace and is great for beginners, allowing you to work your way up from there.

I used to say I felt like I was dying after working out, now I feel like I'm living!

I can't wait to go on to level two.

Thanks B !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
I have several different yoga cd's but I think this is the best one I have found so far. I become bored easily but this one will keep you challenged while teaching you to practice active relaxation. Can't wait to master level one and move on to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passing along a great work out, April 5, 2013
This review is from: Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1 (DVD)
I have used this for several yrs. and sent it to my daughter and she has enjoyed it also. thank you

Journey into Power: Power Vinyasa Yoga, Level 1