Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on May 10, 2011
I've been looking for fig cookies since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 7 years ago. I missed fig newtons so much! These cookies are probably far better than fig newtons. They are so delicious. They come in snack sized wrappings inside of the box, for easy portability. These are worth every penny!
VINE VOICEon July 30, 2011
I thought I would love these based on the glowing reviews. They are simply okay. I doubt I'll buy them again. I love that they are gluten free but that comes at a price. The cookie part is always in pieces. I pick up a cookie to take the first bite & never make it to my lips before half the cookie ends up on my lap or the floor. What remains in my hands is also crumbling. It seems the mere act of picking up the cookie causes it to have structural failure. The inner part of the cookie stays true. The addition of gelatin might have something to do with this.

The taste is okay. What flavor they have is tasty but there's not a lot of it. The best thing about them is they come packaged 2 in a pack. This makes them very convenient to take on the go & you don't have to worry about an open box going stale. The box states that the packaging is non toxic aka green. Not a lot of companies can make that claim.

Even though I am not thrilled with these, I plan on trying the chocolate creme filled & the vanilla creme filled either when I find them at the store or when amazon offers them with the super saver shipping.

On a final note, just for the heck of it, I put them in the toaster oven to have a breakfast treat with my tea. They taste a bit better this way, but still fall completely apart - except for the gelatin filling which needs more figs.
22 comments8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
I was looking at Amazon.com to see if there were any gluten free cookies available that looked appealing to me. I came across these fig cookies, and I really wanted to order them but was a little hesitant since a lot of gluten free food just simply doesn't taste that great. I have celiac disease and cannot have any gluten, period. So, these cookies are the first gluten-free fig cookies I have ever seen. I was so excited and decided to give it a try. I hoped that I hadn't wasted almost $17 on something I wouldn't want to eat. Well, when I got home from work today, I saw the package and opened it immediately and tore right into one of the 2-pack plastic wrapped cookies. They were INCREDIBLE!!!! Oh my, they are just so good. I haven't had a fig newton cookie for 2 1/2 years, since my diagnosis. They used to be one of my all time favorite cookies, and it's been a little sad to not have them. But these are a great alternative to fig newtons when you live in a gluten free world. I read some of the reviews that complained about the cookies crumbling in your hand. They did not crumble in my hand. They crumbled some in my mouth as I took a bite, but who cares? I'm going to be chewing them anyway. And they were not dry and did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. They made my mouth water cause they were so good. I opened another 2-pack and decided that I needed to "test" them a little more before I made my final decision on taste. They are worth every single penny I paid. I wish that I could pay a reasonable price for good gluten free food, but due to the more expensive ingredients, that just isn't going to happen. I highly recommend these cookies, and I don't give out compliments to gluten free food products very often. You should not be disappointed if you try them. I'm so glad I did :)
on May 4, 2011
This is the best fig cookie I have tasted and it is gluten free! The fig filling is so fresh. Forget fig newtons! I loved those as a kid, but these blow those away!
on July 3, 2011
Woooo Hoooo! Worth the wait, worth the money! We can feel safe eating a Gluten Free fig cookie with the SAME GREAT TASTE.
We were horrified that after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and family members suffering Gluten Intolerance,that we would not be able to find compatible cookies like the Fig Newton!
Fig Newton Lovers, there is HOPE! Jovial gets the job done! We are very happy with this cookie!
on May 27, 2011
I tried these @ Health Expo West this past winter and have been dreaming about them since... counting the days until i could finally buy them somewhere... amazing tasting, great texture and best of all gluten free!!!
on November 22, 2011
I have been reading these reviews and had to write my own. Yes, they are a bit crumbly, but I have noticed (I buy them at my local store) that if they are a little bit old, they are not very good. My son (almost 3) loves them and I didn't think he would. He doesn't like things that crumble too much. I don't carry them around in his bag because they break easily if something is on them. I make sure to put two little packs a day for him. I am trying to have him gain weight so I don't mind the sugar or how many he eats. I like that he loves them and that they aren't hard as a rock like some gluten-free cookies.
on November 7, 2011
I have been a celiac for 10 years and these cookies are behind the times. I stopped buying gf specialty foods about 4 years ago - I gave up due to lack of flavor/odd tastes (beany) and grainy textures.
I have just started eating it again in the last 6-8 months because of the advances in popularity and therefore, flavor.
These are so very dry. The taste is odd, the texture is awful. This is the type of gf specialty product that drove me away years ago.
on August 8, 2011
I love these cookies...definitely better than the gluten form Fig Newtons...These are delicious gluten free cookies but I just saw they went up too much on here $$$$ bring them back to the $16.00. If it keeps up this price I will just order them from Jovial's site which has it cheaper!
on March 2, 2012
I purchased these mostly out of curiosity--I never purchase cookies of any kind, and especially not the gluten-free variety (taste, texture, ingredients, price...just not worth it). Before I review the cookies themselves I should explain that I almost never purchase processed food. (I grind my own flours, make my own crackers, granola, salad dressings, etc. So my three young daughters were SO excited to try something out of a box...whatever! The grass is always greener on the other side!) Anyway, I had seen these a few times at my local health food store and thought I'd give them a try. If you're looking for gourmet, keep looking, these aren't your cookies. However, for a boxed, gluten-free cookie they aren't too bad. The fig flavor is more honest than a fig newton (haven't had in years but never liked), and they aren't as overly sweet as some. That said, the fig flavor isn't quite strong enough to mask the typical gluten-free flavor of the cookie itself, and as other reviewers have noted they are very crumbly. I ate the two in my little package and two of my three daughters ate theirs. (One thought they were okay-good, the other said they were okay.) The two year old tossed hers over the side of her carseat. No one asked for more.
Honestly, in a pinch I still would not buy them again, but if you like fig newtons and don't want to make your own AND you must buy gluten-free...well, these aren't too bad.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse