Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on June 28, 2014
The book was repetitive, really repetitive. It would repeat ideas like the same way I am repeating myself right now. It had a couple of good ideas stretched out over the length of a novel.

Many of her ideas like having automatic debits to creditors come straight out of your bank account are exactly the opposite of what is recommended by financial advisors and security experts. Comments like this clearly indicate that none of this book was ever researched.

As the book lacked in content, so too did it in writing. Sentences like "Imagine drawing an imaginary line," can be found throughout. About two thirds the way through the book, when I read this line, I imagined that I finished it and quit reading.
on June 21, 2015
I would have liked this book much better is there were less words. It was just too long winded for me. I felt myself waiting for the author to get to the point already.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2016
Too wordy, too philosophical, takes too long to get to the nitty gritty. I was actually very frustrated reading and ended up skimming.
on May 8, 2016
I hate this book! I purchased Two of the hardcover books for me and for my daughter. I did this because it was the 'newer edition' rather than get the digital edition. What a waste! The printing is so faint it is unreadable. Yes, unreadable! Do I like the book? Is there useful information? Who knows. In a lifetime of reading, I have never had this happen before. What a rip-off.
on February 10, 2016
When someone teaches that it's okay that the carpet has been installed improperly (in their own home, no less!) and wants to teach you that "it's good enough" to me screams of tacky and SETTLING FOR LESS - not LIVING WITH LESS. Reducing quality is not the same as reducing quantity.
This book is on the wrong track, or on the wrong track for me, not to mention all over the place. The grammar and writing is sub-par. (I did see worse writing in 50Shades but that's another review.) Did the author pay to have this published or is this stuff selling these days?
I purchased "KonMari, the life changing magic of tidying up", found it to be so much better at addressing the issue of "tidying up" and with KonMari one does not have to settle for shoddy workmanship or poor quality carpet installation, in fact the opposite - less 'stuff', but you're surrounded with only things that give you pleasure. In defense of the book, it didn't take me long to toss it to the Salvation Army, so I didn't read the whole thing. Life is too short.
on April 25, 2014
I bought this book and then realized how insane this purchase was: if I am trying to CUT clutter from my life, do I really need another book on the shelf with "helpful" hints on how to do so? No, not really.

I've found that almost all of the hints and helpful advice in this book are common sense to most people already or are listed on websites about decluttering your life and simplifying the way you live --websites about green or clean living have many more helpful hints and won't clutter up your bookshelf! Save yourself some money and just check out some websites! You'll save time and get more useful information!
on August 19, 2014
when the author states she and her husband's bedroom has a mattress on the floor and not much else, this book is not for me.
on January 18, 2011
If you're going to steal another's work; at least, give the credit. I strongly suggest everyone read Don Aslett. This man was the actual originator of the decluttering movement...before it was the 'buzz' word. Not a single thing in here that I didn't read in his books 30 years ago.
1818 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse