Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: Audio CDChange

Seems like Christmas starts earlier and earlier every year, and this year the new albums have already started coming out. "Country" and "Christmas" have always gone hand in hand, and this is Faith Hill's very first album of Christmas music.

There are ten traditional carols, plus the single "A Baby Changes Everything", and the album has a big band sound that will remind you of those old black and white holiday movies that they dig out every single year.

"A Baby Changes Everything" puts the Christmas story in a modern light, beginning:
"Teenage girl, much too young / Unprepared for what's to come / A baby changes everything"
and ending:
"My whole life is turned around / I was lost and now I'm found / A baby changes everything"

I found that on a couple of the tracks Faith out-sang the backing orchestra, but the following songs are the ones to put on your playlist this season:

Joy to the World
What Child is This?
Little Drummer Boy
Away in a Manger
O Holy Night
Winter Wonderland
A Baby Changes Everything

Thanks Faith, for not changing up the traditional carols and making them unrecognizable, and although the big band sound isn't my thing, this is a warm and fuzzy album to add to your playlist. Recommended for fans of old movies, big bands, and traditional carols.

Rated: 4.5 stars

Amanda Richards, October 1, 2008
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you like powerful alto vocals, Faith Hill is your girl. The album is full of very traditional arrangements of Christmas carols. If you are looking for something that breaks new ground, is trendy, or somehow different from all the other Christmas albums, this is not your album.

If you are looking for an album of very impressive vocals, minimal accompaniment, and traditional arrangements, this is one of the best.

Her version of O Holy Night! is one of the only versions I have ever heard that can stand next to Celine Dion's classic rendition. Faith has the voice to carry off this song, something few singers can accomplish.

I usually have Christmas carols playing throughout my house for most of December (yes, I know- sick). There are well over 100 albums that randomly rotate. This is one of the few albums (along with Brian Setzer's) that visitors have regularly asked about.

Glad I bought it
on September 30, 2008
This is the most amazing christmas album I have ever head. seriously, this is a must for the Holidays! form the booming orchestra in the title track Joy to the world to the soulfullness of O Holy Night to the beautifull story in A Baby Changes everything about the Virgin Mary.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2008
I have now listened to this album over 10 times and each time it gets better. She wraps her incredible voice around 10 Christmas classics, many of my favorites, plus one absolutely beautiful new song that reminds us what Christmas is all about. The background orchestra and choir give the album a robust and big band era sound that is very nostalgic for me as I'm sure it will be for others. This is a wonderful, joyous, and joyful album by a very talented vocalist. I hope others enjoy it as much as I do.
on December 11, 2008
I wasn't even aware that Faith had a Christmas album for release this year until I read an interview with her in a women's magazine at my hair salon. I'm not a diehard fan of Faith's, but I do enjoy some of her music.

First, to address some of the reviews That mention that Faith does not sound like herself or doesn't sound very good: in the interview I read Faith talked about her first Christmas album and said that this album was an experiment for her. She loves Christmas music and was very excited to put out her own album.

Faith also mentioned that she is an emotional singer and not a technical singer so some of the songs sung on this album are a stretch from her usual range or comfort zone. She enjoyed the challenge and wanted to put her own touch to some of these traditional songs. That said, I think she sounds lovely on all of these.

My favorites are Joy To The World, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, Holly Jolly Christmas, and Winter Wonderland - for her vocals on these, but also for the arrangements. These favorite four of mine, with the exception of Joy To The World, have a slight musical "twist" to them. I really like these four the best.

My least favorite is Away in a Manger. I don't like this song as much as others as I don't "feel" anything from that. I think she sings a little emotionless on this one (compared to others). I also don't particularly like the country sound to this one.

All in all, I think this is a good Christmas album.
on September 30, 2008
It was a long wait. But after listening to it, I found myself in the spirit of Christmas, even if it is a few months early. Each song is special. I have every single Faith Hill album; and once again, I am not disappointed. Faith has a fabulous voice. If she sang the ingredients list on a box of cookies, I would enjoy it. For those of you who do not have any Faith Hill albums because, perhaps, you are not a country music fan, why not give this a listen? You can listen to the samples right here on Amazon.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Although I adore Christmas music, there are few cds that have moved me enough to purchase them simply because there is such a variety on the radio that I just tend to keep that going around the holidays.

After hearing this cd at a friend's house, however, I made the exception. There is something about Faith Hill's amazing voice coupled with such moving songs that make this one you just won't grow tired of, in my opinion. Better yet, it bridges the age gaps of who will enjoy hearing it. My 6 year old niece loved it as much as my "senior parents" and as much as my 27 year old friend who bought it does too! It's just such a strong mix of music and vocals.

That said, our family has a personal joke that says as much about Faith Hill's personal beauty aside from her musical beauty. My father owns a restaurant at a resort location. He was working the front one day when someone quite striking came in and, after her group had eaten and she came up to pay her bill, he made some comment along the lines of "I'm sure you get told often how strikingly beautiful you are. You could be on t.v." She simply smiled and said "thank you" as she paid her check. As she left the employees said "Did you know that was Faith Hill?" Which was confirmed in the paper the next day...
...He did not... (and that alone cracks me up since he has several of her c.d.s)

To this day we joke that dad tried to hit on Faith Hill without realizing it. However, I commend her charm in saying "thank you", paying her bill, and not saying "do you know who I am?" or "I am on t.v. all the time! I'm Faith Hill!" It's made me like her even more since that happened. Because they also get plenty that do say exactly who they are at bill paying time in there! :-)

But that still does not bias my opinion musically...there is no bias needed. Faith Hill hits the mark on great music on this one... How she sings, afterall, has little to do with how she acts. Fortunately, both are sweet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2008
If you like traditional Christmas music and you like Faith Hill's voice then consider this a 5 star album. I gave it 4 stars comparing it to Christina Aguilera's jazzed-up, highly-personalized Christmas album. I think there is yet a lot more we can get from Faith Hill artistically on the Christmas theme. 'A Baby Changes Everything' is a great start to a more creative approach. As For Faith's vocals, still as sweet and strong as ever.
on December 1, 2008
While I like Faith Hill, this is the first CD I have purchased. Wow!! The songs are sung in a traditional chord, not all tanged up Country beat. I have been looking for simple Christmas Carols that my kids can learn from (seeings how all the PC BS has kept the public schools from singing Away in a Manger) and Voila have found it........Faith does an excellent job of singing so that everyone can sing along!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Faith Hill is a very special songbird; when she sings her voice is as clear as a bell and her sophisticated phrasing enhances her performance. This album is no exception; and it's a fine debut Christmas album from Faith at that! Christmastime music is always wonderful to hear; I can never truly get my fill of it. Indeed, it's some of the best music we hear all year--it's usually catchy and memorable with a message so sweet that it makes you feel all warm inside. The traditional carols and songs on this album have big band style arrangements that work wonders for them, too. The quality of the sound on this CD is excellent and I love that artwork, too.

The CD begins with Faith Hill performing the title track; the backup choir is remarkably impressive--not that Faith needed it but they really sound wonderful anyway. Faith handles complex tempo and key changes like the chanteuse she truly is; and that's grand. "What Child Is This?" has Faith squarely front and center; and that's quite all right by me! The arrangement has a few key modulations to let Faith put her own stamp on this classic Christmas ballad; and it all holds its own very well. In addition, "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" is lively and charming at once. The jazzy arrangement fits in perfectly with Faith's vocals; the brass and percussion help to enhance the number quite a bit. Faith never lets go of a superfluous note; and I'm truly impressed.

"Little Drummer Boy" is quite well done; Faith sings this passionately with all her heart and soul. The male backup sounds terrific although they never even try to steal the show away from Faith; she's right in the spotlight and I love it. "O Come, All Ye Faithful" has always been one of my favorite holiday songs; Faith does great justice to this ballad with her excellent diction and her sensitive treatment of this number. "O Come, All Ye Faithful" is easily a major highlight of this album; it's very easy on the ear, too. "Holly Jolly Christmas" is a tune I first heard sung by Burl Ives; I would like to think that he would have loved Faith's rendition of this amazing song!

"Away in a Manger" has a wonderful arrangement and Faith performs this faultlessly; and listen for Faith to outdo even herself on "O Holy Night" "O Holy Night" is another passionate song that Faith delivers beautifully; she truly delves deep into "O Holy Night" to bring out all the subtle nuances of the lyrics as she performs this to perfection--and beyond! "Winter Wonderland" is also very pretty; the strings are used to great advantage and so is that brass! "Silent Night, Holy Night" is exceptionally stunning when Faith sings this; it showcases Faith singing at her usual very best. The CD ends strong with a much, much newer song entitled "A Baby Changes Everything;" this last song is very poignant and it moves me greatly.

Faith Hill is always wonderful to hear; and on this holiday CD she really makes these songs shine bright! I highly recommend this for her fans and people who like traditional holiday music including Christmas carols. In addition, people who like the big band sound applied to established holiday music will cherish this CD forever.