4.0 out of 5 stars Where Healthy Cooking Proves an Art
My daughter and I studied online videos and recipes before I tried my first meal with this tool. Its somewhat larger than you might expect but suitable to cook a meal for four up to or eight people at once. These are a few hints I would offer from that experience:

Published on February 11, 2012 by C. Hawke

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Puzzled & Disappointed
Published on October 2, 2006 by H. Noble

4.0 out of 5 stars Where Healthy Cooking Proves an Art, February 11, 2012
C. Hawke "oldmoviequeen" (Farmington, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joyce Chen 26-0012, 3-Piece Bamboo Steamer, 12-Inch (Kitchen)

1) you must thoroughly rinse and scrub the steamer before first use. You cannot use soap or harsh tools to do so. I filled our kitchen sink with very hot water, soaked it piece by piece and use a soft rubber scrub to work away the tiny slivers that are inherent to its bamboo nature.
2) when drying, set it over towels preferably in the sun and stack it as it came....otherwise it may dry warped.
3) while a large saucepan under it may work, my IKEA sized wok was perfect for this unit. You must fill the clean and grease free wok with about one and a half to two inches of water. Bring to a rapid rolling boil (do not add salt to the water) and set the bamboo steamer with items in place and carefully sealed shut into the wok where it should not be sitting in the water but just over it.
4) DO buy the simple parchment paper that you can get at the grocery store near the tin foil and plastic wrap (don't get the wax backed paper.) Lay a cut sheet over the open steamer unit and press into the bottom, use a finger to create a crease that matches the inner dimensions of the steamer...cut to size and lay one piece in each of the two sections of the steamer where you intend to place the food. (You will be very glad you did when cleanup time comes and you DON'T have to scrub out tiny food particles trapped in the woven bamboo slats.)
5)DO NOT reuse this paper, cut a new piece each time you steam food.
6) take care to note how long foods need to steam - each item you cook may be different. I found that ten minutes of steaming was perfect for whitefish filets and asparagus spears but too long for broccoil. Place your meat at the bottom layer of the two layers of this unit and veggies on the top layer.
7) TAKE CARE to stand back when you open the steamer lid while it is cooking or just after being removed from heat. The steam is VERY HOT! This steamer is not ideal for children to work with. Get a couple pot holders to carefully remove it from the steaming wok and set it onto a towel because it will drip.

I found that the sauce I used to marinate the fish all steamed out of it while cooking. While it may work to add things like fresh herbs, lemon or ginger and peppers over the cooking meat, sauces may just steam out. Add them before serving. This first meal I steamed was very bland. I cooked rice with it and we wanted to add soy or other sauce to the veggies, meat and rice. If bland doesn't bother you, steam the fish and dip it in mayo and drizzle with fresh lemon juice. The asparagus was delicious with just butter but the overcooked broccoli just had to be eaten quickly.

I will use this unit again but hope to find some tips to make the food less bland although it is extremely healthy and very well cooked this way. Everything was tender and moist. Since there is no oil used in this cooking process you can control exactly the amount of fat that goes into your body. Once you begin steaming the entire meal will be done in ten or fifteen minutes. Better have your table set and guests at hand. If I can learn to create sauces and seasonings to give it more flavor, the art of using it will match its health qualities and ease of use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but gets grungy easily, March 7, 2004
Stefohnee "stef" (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This steamer is great for dumplings and vegetables, though its shape makes it difficult to tell how much water is left in the pot you're steaming it over, and the bamboo comes into contact with very hot pans, producing a slight smoky smell sometimes. The more you use it, the more the bamboo will relax with age. My only real problem with this steamer is that it's somewhat small (6" diameter), but I couldn't find a larger one.
Try it for steaming vegetables, fish, or even rice. Inexpensive, but well-made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific size!!!, September 20, 2007
This bamboo steamer is just the right size if you like to steam large quantities of food. I had a 10 inch steamer for many years and it finally wore out. I decided to get the next size and I'm happy I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bamboo Steamer, September 28, 2011
I've found some cheaper alternatives after doing some more research online, but can't say anything as to the quality. The Joyce Chen bamboo steamer seems to be of high quality (my first one, so I don't have much to compare it to). It had a bit of a bamboo smell when it arrived, which is to be expected, and after a good washing and several uses this became a non issue.

The 12 inch is pretty big, but fits well in my 16 inch round bottom wok. While I fear the 12 inch might even be a little too big, I've been deciding lately that I should have bigger cookware incase I have guests over. You can always take out one of the racks if you want to cook a meal for one.

I line the bottom of the trays with lettuce leaves to prevent the food from transferring bacteria (with meats) as well as smells. More natural and easier to manage than the parchment paper.

If you're thinking about buying a steamer, this is the one I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful steamer, June 4, 2009
very well made steamer. i use mine to dry herbs from my garden. i have a smaller one i use to steam whole dinners.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Puzzled & Disappointed, October 2, 2006
I purchased this item as a filler. I have two steamers already that are 5+ yrs old. First of all i found this item to be smaller than i expected. Secondly, i washed this item as instructed and left it out to air dry (as i do with my others without any problems), on the second day i noticed some dark blemishes on the underside. These eventually turned into numberous dark spots on the underside on both basket parts of the steamer. I have never experienced this before! They were deep into the bamboo, this item had just been steamed then washed in very hot water and allowed to air dry... i have no idea how this happened? I used one of my others at the same time and it never developed this problem. I returned the item to Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you need to know, March 20, 2012
I am happy with the steamer, especially for the price.

Which size to buy? Unless you really need as much space as possible (to cook more food fast), I would mostly go by whether you have a big enough wok/pot for the 12 inch or 10 inch. The 10 inch should be big enough to cook most meals for two. If you buy the 10-inch model instead Joyce Chen 10-Inch Bamboo Steamer Set, you save some money. I also found a steaming ring for sale on Amazon which only works with the 10-inch models. You only need a ring if you plan to use it with regular pots. Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen 11-Inch Steaming Ring They also sell pre-cut parchment paper sized for the 10-Inch model. Helen's Asian Kitchen Parchment Steamer Liners, Pack of 20 (However, I prefer to cut my own, anyway, or use leaves instead of paper. It looks nicer and would save a little time to buy the liners.)

Being natural wood, you should expect it to have little "variations" or flaws. Mine had little fibers sticking up/out in a couple areas. I wish mine was also more perfectly round. I understand that it's how they are made, and am not deducting for this, however. Not being perfectly round means sometimes when I want to put the lid on, or stack the trays, I have to rotate the piece. Just takes a couple seconds, but is a definite inconvenience. In the cooking surface area, some of the wood pieces are slightly darkened or greenish in areas. I am paranoid about mold and at first I was upset by this. But I realized it must be from the bamboo natural color variations.

I wish it had little handles on the sides, to lift a tray off, but I only see this on stainless steel models. The tiny handle loop on top works great for me.

I read a review on Amazon about a bamboo steamer where the guy said it imparted too much wood taste to the food. I was in disbelief and discounted what he said, but now I understand what he was saying. It really does transfer to the food too much for me UNLESS I use parchment paper or lettuce or cabbage. If the food is not touching the bamboo, it's fine. If you use many spices, you may not notice. There is still quite a wood odor coming from the moist steamed bamboo, which I find mildly unpleasant. However I am glad I chose this steamer.

Many stainless steel items impart a slight metallic taste to food which I wanted to avoid. Higher quality SS may not. If you don't mind stainless steel, I suggest going with stainless steel over bamboo.

I am usually careful, but have occasionally gotten food on the steamer, and was a little frustrated when trying to clean it. If the food gets wedged down in there, it can get stuck. Also, the many crevices trap soap. If I use soapy water, I usually have to rinse each side twice to get the soap out of all crevices. I'm picky about getting all the soap out. When using a standard sponge to clean it, I am careful and don't press hard. But even when being careful, I have gotten tiny bits of my sponge "snagged" by the crevices. So far they have been easy to pick out.

BTW, I read that bamboo needs oiling occasionally to keep it in good condition. This maintenance is fine with me. It only takes a few minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, August 4, 2009
Tim Strohbusch (Fort Atkinson,Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
Anyone that purchases this steamer will not be disappointed. Super high quality and it looks like it will last a long time. Very sturdy and well worth every penny! It looks good too. Not one of those "cheap" steamers you see a lot of. I would gladly buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, April 9, 2009
This is an excellent bamboo steamer when you want to steam just a small quantity of food. Since it is small, you only need a small pan of water to generate the steam. I use it for thawing and cooking frozen and/or fresh vegetables. Quality and construction of the steamer is excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars a good bamboo steamer, September 11, 2007
This bamboo steamer is well-made and easy to clean and so far does not twist much in the drying.

Joyce Chen 26-0012, 3-Piece Bamboo Steamer, 12-Inch