5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for exactly one thing...
I've had my Saladacco for a couple years and pull it out every summer when it's too hot to boil pasta and zuchini is in season. I use it for exactly one thing: making great angel-hair (or thinner) "pasta" from zuchini. I have to agree with all of the reviews here:

1. It is cheap feeling.
2. You have to lop off the ends of the zuchini to make sections about...
Published on September 7, 2006 by Eric B. Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars The Infamous Joyce Chen Saladacco
Published on March 11, 2005 by EnthusiasticOnlineShopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for exactly one thing..., September 7, 2006
This review is from: Joyce Chen 51-0662, Saladacco Spiral Slicer, White (Kitchen)

1. It is cheap feeling.
2. You have to lop off the ends of the zuchini to make sections about 3.5" long.
3. The zuchini has to be ripe but not overly ripe.
4. The zuchini has to be straight (for best results).
5. You waste about 1/2" of the zuchini each pass.
6. The device is challenging to operate.

But all that said, it produces something that I've never seen come out of any other device. And that something has amazed many people - a fresh, light, "live" angel-hair pasta with no heat that even an insulin-dependent diabetic can eat.

It's probably not for everyone but it's one of my favorite kitchen appliances.

Update (2011): I just got a question about my Spiralizer. Both blades on mine are stainless steel. I bought it in 2005, so it's very possible they changed the design and now have a plastic toothed blade. I can't speak for the plastic model. And I second my caveats above. It's really only good for one thing: making raw pasta from ripe, but not overly ripe, zucchini. It's also not the most efficient device in my kitchen. But it gets to come out in the Summer when the zucchini are coming off the vine by the dozen.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Infamous Joyce Chen Saladacco, March 11, 2005
I had to give this product two stars for the concept and at least one star because it does exactly what the manufacturer says it does, but nothing more plus not everything you make using this product turns out completely awful. Versatile this tool is not! To start your vegetables must be 1-inch in diameter and 3-1/2 inches in length. After you've finished cutting you are left with at least 1-inch of unuseable vegetable, unless you're willing to do the rest of your creative cutting by hand, not only does this limit you, but it also creates a great deal of waste. You have only 2 blade choices which are housed in a poorly constructed plastic contraption that easily separates if pressed on in the wrong spot.

You have your choice of either spaghetti type strands or spiral slices, but don't expect anything pretty with your spaghetti strands because your only option is a very fine tooth edged blade which creates very fine strands of mush depending on what you're cutting. However, this product does have one redeeming trait and that's with the use of the flat edged blade it does create fairly nice looking spiral slices. If you're expecting true versatility than you will have to cough up the dough as I did for "The Benriner Cooks Helper", "Benriner Cook Help" or the "Benriner Asian Sprial Slicer" (they're all the same) which gives you (3) Tooth edged blades (fine, medium and Coarse) as well as (1) flat edged blade, the size of your vegetables do still matter for cutting but you don't throw away nearly as much. Shop around for the best price!

PLEASE NOTE: I am a paying customer not a employee, lobbyist or representative of any company whose products I've reviewed. I write enthusiastic and hopefully informative reviews in an effort to help fellow online shoppers make more informed buying decisions, or in avoiding similar frustrations that I've experienced when shopping on online.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works properly 1 in 10 tries at best., December 17, 2005
For this gizmo to make thin long strands of zucchini, the following conditions have to all be in place, and even then it doesn't always work. The zucchini:

* has to be straight or have very little curve.

* needs to be cut into pieces 3 1/2 inches long or shorter.

* ends need to be cut perfectly straight.

* has to be perfectly centered in the spiralizer.

The spiralizer:

* needs to be locked into place, which is often a bit of a struggle.

You:

* have to be exerting pressure as you spin the handle clockwise

* have to make sure the lever stays to the left and doesn't slide to the right as sometimes happens.

Even when all these conditions are in place, I can't always get it to work properly. Also, it's a huge struggle to get the top separated from the base when I'm doing using the spiralizer. My pieces usually come out looking like spirals that have been scored, but not cut, by the blades with occasional strands of zucchini pasta mixed in. Maybe the zucchini has to have a water content in a certain range, and Jupiter has to align with Mars?

Just as I wouldn't recommend a car that didn't start 90% of the time, I can't recommend the Joyce Chen spiralizer. The spirooli, another kitchen device which makes vegetable pasta is much more reliable and easier to use, although you need to be more careful with it because the blades are on the outside.

I've added back in one star because if you use the setting to the right for the long flat spirals, the device will work. Although you'll still likely have the struggle to lock the top in place and unlock it after use. Also, I've used friends' spiralizers that have worked fine for angel hair vegetable pasta, so I know there are some out there that work. But based on my experience with my own spiralizer, it's an overpriced piece of plastic junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and avoid this!, January 10, 2005
AA real disappointment, this spiral slicer is cheaply made and fails to perform reliably and adequately. It can be used best on large chunks of such vegetables as carrots, zucchini and cucumber, but forget about smaller or slender pieces, or small vegetables such as radishes, which it just can't seem to process at all. It also produces a great of waste. You also have to be careful that it doesn't come apart in your hands as you turn the crank. While it does (when you can get it to work) produce pretty strands and spirals (it has two different settings), its reliability and limitations make this a poor choice for the consumer. You'd be better off investing in a good-quality mandoline or a food processor (or purchasing an affordable Microplane grater).

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, but not perfect, January 20, 2007
Anne Smiles (Sammamish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the spiralizer after reading the bad reviews. It works well enough for me! I made lots of zucchini noodles with it just fine. The noodles were not perfect, but my kids and I didn't mind. You only have to do things "perfectly" if you want perfect results.

If the vegetables are a little curved, if the ends are not cut perfectly straight, or the zucchini is not perfectlly centered in the spiralizer, then the "pasta" comes out in various lengths from one inch to twelve inches plus.

Yes, you do have to cut the vegetables to about 3.5 inches or less. Not that hard.

Yes, you do have a 3/16" piece left at the end of every piece -- but it is not wasted if it becomes a nice snack for the cook.

Locking the spiralizer in place is as simple as setting it down and rotating until locked.

You do need to put light pressure on the handle when you are spinning to make the pasta, but is is not tiring.

The lever did flip up once when I had my 3-year-old making pasta for me, so I put it back down and we enjoyed some flat spirals with our "pasta."

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad driven me to write a review, January 22, 2007
I guess if all you ever want to spiralize is zucchini your OK, partly. I was very excited to get this to unyuckify my raw food dinners. First night I cut up my zucchini, used it without trouble and had a great set of noodles. Then I put the second piece in. A piece without skin on the top and all this thing did was make circles in the top of the zucchini, didn't spin it at all. A bit disappointing but still had a plate of noodles from half a zucchini. Next night I got a little crazy, tried a piece of butternut squash. This thing totally failed AND the plastic grippers that are supposed to hold the veggie BROKE OFF so now the whole top is useless and I have to spin my zucchini by hand until I replace it with a unit that works. Place your expectation for a good product elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Essentially, a disposal problem..., January 7, 2005
What a piece of junk! You'll do better with a box grater. I payed around $7 for this from a clearance table at Linens and Things. Can't believe MSRP is over $30. What a rip! The real japanese garnish makers are quite pricey(over $50). If that's what you really want pay for the real thing. This one is simply a waste of money at any price.

Would give a negative rating if I could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for raw foodists, February 15, 2007
I really love this tool because I'm a raw vegan and I can make cool pasta noodles made out of zucchini. I can also make "chips" from other hard vegetables. It works nicely, but you definitely need to learn how to use it, otherwise it will feel like a cheap toy that never did what you wanted it to. I was frustrated when I first tried to use it, but now that I know how it's a dream to make noodles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the slicer, August 27, 2006
I don't really understand these negative reviews. I have owned this slicer for more than a year and have never had a problem slicing with it. It's a wonderful gadget for making zucchini "spaghetti" or ribbons, something that my grandchildren wolf down whenever I make it. Mine gets a lot of use in the summer when we have abundant zucchini from our garden, but I also use it all year round. I love this so much I'm giving five of them away for Christmas presents to people who are making an effort to eat in a more healthy way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, too., September 5, 2006
I almost didn't buy this slicer because of all the negative reviews. But I got it, pulled it out of the box, READ THE SHORT & SIMPLE DIRECTIONS, and was making gorgeous zuccini pasta in five minutes. I think it's well made, sturdy, easy to use, and quick. I had two huge plates of zuccini pasta within fifteen minutes (includes time to make the sauce). It's my new favorite toy. I don't know what's up with all the other bad reviews. Worked fine, immediately, for me.

Joyce Chen 51-0662, Saladacco Spiral Slicer, White