4.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Much Better
Published on September 17, 2007 by David A. Caplan

3.0 out of 5 stars Justice Served is Out of Order!
I love watching "Judge Judy" and I have been waiting for a DVD for some time, unforunately, this is a disappointment. For one thing, I don't agree that these selections are the most interesting or outrageous cases Judge Judy has had. They would have been much better off issuing the original season, then just nine cases out all the years that "Judge Judy" has aired...
Published on September 11, 2007 by Mark Ebert

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Much Better, September 17, 2007
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I'm a huge fan of Judge Judy and have seen almost every case over the past few years. Many seem to find the show's biggest attraction in how Judge Scheindlin humiliates the litigants, so the choice of cases and participants is critical in determining how entertaining the show will be. I find the litigants' psychoses and desperate self-justification even funnier than Judy's acerbic comments. Unfortunately, I could easily remember quite a few cases more interesting than those on this DVD. The only really great one here is the young woman who, failing to get out of a speeding ticket, wrote a complaint against the LAPD officer who stopped her. You can really get a more enjoyable serving of Judge Judy on YouTube, although with the release of this DVD, perhaps the show's producers will soon have those on YouTube removed. I'm hoping that this is a mere trial to see whether there's enough of a market to produce more JJ collections on DVD. Even though it's a bit of a disappointment, it's still enjoyable for JJ fans and pretty inexpensive, so I'll give it four stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Justice Served is Out of Order!, September 11, 2007
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)

I give five stars to Judge Judge herself, but this DVD leaves a lot to be desired. People with a passing interest in the show may enjoy it, but it's not enough for fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Could be Better, September 21, 2007
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I absolutely love Judge Judy. I still remember watching the "60 Minutes" Episode from over 13 years ago and thinking what an interesting person she was (by the way, that interview - as well as the 1993 interview - is included in the DVD).

There are a total of 9 episodes, including one of my favorites - an Asian lady who had sued the LAPD officer who had given her a ticket. Her father was a retired LAPD officer and it seemed apparent she had tried to use her father's name in order to influence the cop not give her the ticket. Judge Judy made mincemeat out of her and her father.

The extras are of Judge Judy receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, some promos for the show, both "60 Minutes" interviews and clips of "Judyisms".

I wish a "Season 1" DVD set had been available instead. Or even a multi-DVD set. Also, it would have been nice to have had an interview with bailiff Petri Hawkins Byrd - or even some clips of him "talking" with unruly defendants.

All in all, I enjoyed the DVD but it would have been so much better with a multi-disc set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Judge Judy DVD!, September 15, 2007
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
This DVD has 9 cases plus extras. You get to see the episodes without the commercial breaks and the closing statements are different. Judge Judy says a little something before each episode. I am a huge fan and these 9 cases are not really the ones I would pick. The only exception is the lawyer/paralegal case which is one of my favorites. Not sure why the other cases were selected. The quality of the DVD is much better then watching the original episodes. The extras are nice too. This is a good start of what I hope is a regular DVD release. Why not have each season released in a box set?

3.0 out of 5 stars "If something doesn't make sense, it's not true", November 12, 2007
Gyro (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I wish I could say this Judge Judy catchphrase was true about the recent reviews, but I having a hard time finishing watching this DVD. I was expecting some really off the wall court cases that would keep me laughing,but the first three I've watched are very basic cases you could see on the tv for free any day of the week. The tupperware case was odd, but still not worthy of posting on a pay per view DVD. I say keep your money can just fire up your DVR for the weekday airings.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but needed more., September 17, 2007
M. Gambaccini "enigma5" (Portland, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I was so excited for this and was a little disapointed that this is all they could put together for this show after its major success.
The "Judyisms" section was SO funny and it was put together well.
The two interviews were AWESOME to see her back the in real court and now.
The interview when she gets a star on the sidewalk was also excellent.
The pomos? Eh. I didn't like them. Boring.

What it was missing was, the first few cases. Why didn't they show us a pilot or demo or something. Or some of the old episodes where she had mean eyebrows, and a slightly different courtroom. That would have been cool to see. Or behind the scenes look at how they make the show.
Lastly WHERE'S BYRD. Officer Petri-Hawkins Byrd wasn't even mentioned.

4 stars for me. Maybe they'll come out with more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Judge Judy is Great, sadly, this DVD is not so great, September 15, 2007
K. Macumber (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I'm an avid Judge Judy fan and was thrilled when I leared of this DVD. I was expecting the cases where the litigants caused a scene, were caught in out and out lies and generally outrageous. The cases on this DVD were not any of those. I was a bit bored and disappointed.
I enjoyed the 60 minutes interviews and definitely enjoyed listening to the cases in the background while I puttered around the house, but was hoping for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge Judy delivers on her first DVD for the most part, September 29, 2007
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
After years of watching Judge Judy on TV, I was thrilled when I heard about the release of her first DVD. As soon as I found out, I ordered "Justice Served."

Before watching, I was a bit apprehensive because the reviews were not very positive. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

Despite their being only 9 cases, they show Judy at her best. The extras were also great. I particularly liked the 2 60 minutes interviews showing the judge then and now. It was cool to see Judy pre-TV stardom.

The Judyisms compilation was also quite comical.

The ONLY complaint I have about this DVD is that I wish there were more...more cases, extras, etc. Specifically, I wish they would have done interviews with supporting cast members like Byrd and announcer Jerry Bishop.

I hope the release of this DVD will compel the studio to release more Judge Judy compilations. I will certainly be one of the first to add future Judy DVDs to my collection!

In closing, I would say this. If the purpose of this DVD was to leave viewers wanting more, the studio more than succeeded!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, February 6, 2008
dowwwe (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I was excited to see this DVD in Canadian stores shortly after it was announced in the US. After watching the entire DVD, I was very disappointed. It contains cases that were nothing special that seemed randomly selected from mid-series seasons and a two interviews from 60 Minutes. I was surprised with the amount of cases shown for a show thats been on for eleven years. You'd think they could find more interesting cases over 11 years than the few they featured. This is definitely not worth it's price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Served lukewarm, December 15, 2007
This review is from: Judge Judy: Justice Served (DVD)
I enjoy watching Judge Judy and TiVo it regularly as the "guilty pleasure" I allow myself from time to time. There aren't many episodes I haven't seen, except for the early years, but I had seen all nine on this DVD. Only two episodes, and possibly a third were, in my opinion, deserving of a "best" collection. Having seen the show more times than I should admit, there were much better episodes than at least six of the episodes chosen.

This DVD also contains the two specials that 60 Minutes did on her. The first was before she became "Judge Judy", and likely is what got her the job. It showcased a tough as nails family court judge who brooked no "nonsense" and was firmly in control of her court room at all times. The second was well after she had become Judge Judy, and showed us a bit of what fame had given her (a few homes, a few "extra parts", as she said, and it looks like her husband, the judge on People's Court for two years) had a bit of work done too. If you ever saw him on People's Court - I saw him a couple of times - he was funny. To one lady he once said, "You have a hot temper. And I know something about hot tempers." Obviously referring to his wife, this drew great laughs from the audience.

There's a segment on her "isms", and, well, it's not terribly entertaining, unless you haven't seen her show that often and want to see what makes her unique, or you really, really enjoy her and can't get enough of her. For even the casual fan, it's only mildly interesting to watch.

What frustrated me personally was that the DVD was neither captioned nor subtitled. It stuns me that as 2007 comes to a close, DVDs are still being released without captions or subtitles. Do they not want deaf or hearing impaired people to buy the DVD? It's not terribly expensive to have something captioned, and her TV shows are all captioned, so the exclusion on the DVD was disappointing. Being hearing impaired, I guess it was a good thing that I had seen all of the episodes before. But, that's why I have these: TV Ears. They work marvelously.

Aside from hearing impaired people, there were no Spanish subtitles either, so I guess they weren't interested in the Spanish-speaking population - a large one - buying this either.

I wouldn't mind seeing a second DVD, so long as they caption it, and are more judicious in their selections.

Judge Judy: Justice Served
Judge Judy: Justice Served by Randy Douthit (DVD - 2007)
$19.98 $12.15