Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on October 30, 2009
I read these books as a kid, too, and loved them. So, my 3rd grade daughter and I were reading them at night. We are reading "Superfudge" and it has several topics you may not be ready for. While most of the book is very funny and we had a lot of laughs, I was not laughing at the part about how babies are made. I also didn't enjoy the chapter, "Santa, who?" Just a warning to parents, they talk about not believing in Santa Claus. I know not everyone does, but we still do. So, I would wait to read these books until your child is a little older.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2008
I have been reading Fudge since I was a pre-teen, so I thought I was getting the classics when I purchased this. Was I wrong!! Many of the original words have been changed. For instance: The original book had Peter asking for an airplane and records for Christmas, but the new version has him asking for CD's and an MP3 player. How silly! I wanted the classic and I didn't get it. I am truly upset that these books have been changed to impress the younger crowd. Records and airplanes aren't that foreign of an idea for kids to read about. It's like changing the words to "To Kill a Mockingbird!"
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2011
I pulled up the reviews because I wanted to make sure I was getting good books for my kids, and I have to say that I am glad they are updated. The beauty of Judy Blume is that kids can relate to her. She captures what is really going on in their lives. I want my kids to be able to have that experience themselves. I'm not sure how much I would have related to the characters if they were wanting a rag doll or waiting to listen to their favorite radio show, and I never liked it when my parents tried to impose their dusty old favorites onto me just for the sake of feeling sentimental. If you want the old version for yourself, go find it on ebay, but if you want your kids to relate, buy these.
on July 14, 2009
I couldn't believe it when another reviewer/reader said that these were changed from the original. I got my hands on copies, and sure enough, these have been changed! Pick a literary classic. Some are a positive chore to read because English has changed, and continues to do so. But I love the books because they are the books I read growing up. These books are NOT. Will a new generation enjoy them? Certainly. But can a previous one? Of all the things to sell out, why cheapen the childhood of a generation and pander this way? Boo to Judy Blume. This is unforgivable.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2014
My kids love these books. I bought them to read for story time before we go to bed. However, I must note that the books sometimes mention things I don't want my kids to know about just yet. (Is Santa real, where do babies come from, etc.) I always try to skim ahead as I read and then skip anything I don't want to read out loud.
on October 5, 2010
It's true these books have been modified from the originals... but who cares?

My son just finished the entire set, and he loved them. The many adventures of Fudge set him laughing, and he related to the tales of being a big brother. I had no idea he would enjoy these so much, but he did, and it was really fun reading them together. Oddly enough, he never once commented about any changes from the original versions.

There are a few things in the books that might be issues for some, like a chapter that gives away that Santa Claus isn't real, and a fair bit of name-calling ("stupid"). However, these are easy to skip over, unless you feel doing so would ruin the story.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2008
These books are a blast from *my* past. I purchased them for my 4th grade son, and he loves them! His teacher started reading a Judy Blume book to his class, and all he did was talk about 'Fudgie' - and now he has caught the bug! I purchased this box set - which comes in a little cardboard box - and he has read them all. Now my 8 year old son is reading them. Well worth the investment!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2013
I enjoyed these as a kid and they are even more fun to read to my kids. Go Fudge go!
on June 8, 2013
These five books by Judy Blume are so awesome. Now that I have an 11-year-old it's high time that I revisited these books that I loved reading as a kid, and both of us dearly loved the experience. The books are:

Tales Of A Fourth Frade Nothing
Otherwise Known As Sheila The Great
Double Fudge

Each book is a precious artifact, a treasure of written perfection, and each character lives on and on, always larger than life (it's hardly ever like this - how many books do you read where not even one single character is interesting?); this applies not just to the main protagonists Peter and Farley Drexel "Fudge" Hatcher either, as you really find yourself caring about long-lost cousin Howie (or "the Howies" as his whole family is called - this includes another Farley Drexel Hatcher, in this case nicknamed "Mini", and the twin girls Flora and Fauna), about newborn Tootsie, even about the hapless mynah bird Uncle Feather (great name). Oh Lord yeah!!

The first two books are not really about Fudge at all, and are the more serious ones. The first one focuses on Peter Hatcher, about his problems dealing with his little three-year-old brother and eventually the fate of his pet turtle (an infamous episode in children's literature if there ever was one), while the second book opens the lid on the complex life of Sheila The Great, who's not as confident as her blustery character would lead you to believe. The later three books are mainly about Fudge and are highly episodic, lacking Blume's characteristic take on the hard issues of childhood that can be found in her other books (and which appear in mild forms in the first two in this series); these books show Fudge between the ages of five and six. Throughout the books Peter maintains the tone of a long-suffering whiny kid without much of a sense of humor, while Fudge is just plain crazy.

Blume keeps things interesting across all five books by varying the locale of each book, which helps her introduce new situations and characters. In the first book Peter and Fudge (and occasionally Sheila) are in New York City, in the second book Sheila's family take her off to the country for the summer (and, to balance the first book, we see very little of Peter or Fudge). In the third book the family moves off to Princeton for a year; in the fourth book they are back in New York, but then baby Tootsie comes along (and so do The Howies); then, in the last book, the characters are off to Maine for the summer as Blume ingenously finds a way to unite the Hatchers and Sheila Tubman's family in a single tale (and in more ways than one too we find out!!).

There are so many favorite episodes that I can't really pick just one, but my son and I never get tired of shouting "bonjour stupid" at each other in honour of Uncle Feather.

Fudge rules. Riot... riot!!!!
on April 2, 2013
When my daughter (now 41) was a child she loved Judy Blume. She read all of Blume's books written for children. My granddaughter doesn't seem to like reading very much so I was looking for a modern day Judy Blume. I want my granddaughter to see how much fun reading can be. When I read in the reviews that these books have been updated, I was thrilled. The emotions and humor in Judy Blume's books are timeless but the world has changed a lot. When my daughter read these books there were no CDs, no cell phones, no MP3 players and no digital cameras. My granddaughter and I will be reading these together. I'll be updating this review when I see how my granddaughter likes the books.