on January 28, 2013
Format: Paperback
Part of my new fitness and diet regime to help shed these difficult 15 pounds of baby weight, was to add in a couple homemade shakes a day to my meal plan. Now, when I think of healthy shakes, I think of those made with a mixture of fruits and veggies - which always seem to blend into a green colored liquid. If only those sweet tasting shakes you get at ice cream stands were good for you, and didn't contain all that extra, unnecessary sugar, incorporating smoothies into my new diet plan, would be so much easier. But, after picking up a copy of "The Juice Lady's Big Book of Juices and Green Smoothies: More than 400 simple, delicious recipes!" by Cherie Calbom to try recently, I was excited to see and taste how good homemade smoothies can taste.

From simple to gourmet smoothies, you are bound to find some amazing and yummy tasting recipes, among the 400+ that make up this book. Seeing that I am new to using healthy smoothies in a diet plan, I liked how this recipe book was broken down into the following chapters:

Chapter 1: All About Juicing -- A great overview of juicing and what you will need to make delicious smoothies.
Chapter 2: Simple Juice Recipes -- this is great for those looking to try out their blenders and see what juicing is all about.
Chapter 3: Gourmet and Exotic Juice Blends -- I have found myself trying out recipes from this chapter recently. Some of my favorite smoothie recipes include: fresh garden medley, chili lime and blushing carrot, just to name a few.
Chapter 4: Green Juice Recipes -- Who knew that green juice drinks would taste so good -- from misty garden with kale. ginger root and carrot to the oh so tasty cucumber-tomato-cilantro cooler, you will surprised at how many delicious green juice drinks you will like. Never would I have thought to combine kale and carrots. Mmm.
Chapter 5: Yummy Fruit Juice Blends -- Another favorite chapter, where I found such recipes as peach-blackberry-apple cocktail, pineapple mint delight and pineapple lemonade. Those who love fruity smoothies and drinks will enjoy all the healthy recipes in this chapter, for sure! :-)
Chapter 6: Old Favorites -- This chapter is filled with the author's favorite recipes that have been enjoyed and talked about over the years. Some of these recipes include Zesty Morning, Watermelon-Cranberry Cooler and Strawberry Bliss.
Chapter 7: Juice Remedies and Rejuvenators -- I have tried a few of these recipes over the past week, as we have had the stomach flu, teething and terrible two's visit us all at once in our house. So, by mid-day my energy is drained. The few drinks I tried really gave me an energy boost and kept my immune system strong, so I wouldn't get sick, and could care for the girls.
Chapter 8: Green Smoothies -- Similar to Chapter 4, this chapter lets you create smoothie drinks from green leafy vegetables like spinach, celery and green leaf lettuce. I haven't had a chance to make and try some of these smoothies yet, but my husband has and loved them. His favorites include coconut creamsicle and Cocoa Cabana.

Are you getting thirsty yet? If you have been looking for a great smoothie and juice recipes, then you will love this recent release from Cherie Clabom. With over 400 recipes, you will find yourself wanting to try and each and every one, just to see which ones are your favorites. :-)

Disclosure: I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in order to write up an honest review. The views above are mine and mine alone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
Cherie Calbom, clinical nutritionist and author of Juicing For Life, delivers a fun-filled guide that's packed with mouth-watering recipes on the road to good health. The author offers her famous recipes for juicing, smoothies, shakes, and sources. I enjoy to indulge on fruity, delicious smoothies. My favorites are strawberry, and blueberry. These juices and smoothies are packed with nutrition as we bring our blender to life. I found the smoothies to be perfect as a healthy snack, and are filling. The juices and smoothies are great for anyone with a busy life, and much more healthy for our children. In addition, they help to combat infections, help to control diet, and the vegetables are more tasty. There are several recipes to choose from, and a great way to entertain at social gatherings. The recipes are simple, and easy-to-make. A perfect gift for family, and friends. Highly recommended!
VINE VOICEon January 29, 2013
Format: Paperback
First of all, I would like to extend a heartfelt "Thank you" to Cherie Calbom and her publisher for sending me a copy of "The Juice Lady's Big Book of Juices and Green Smoothies" to review for them. I am truly grateful for this generosity. I really appreciate the time, effort and expense it takes to make a reviewer copy available to me.

"The Juice Lady's Big Book of Juices and Green Smoothies: More than 400 simple, delicious recipes!" by Cherie Calbom is an incredible recipe book that also educates about the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables. This is more than a collection of recipes. It is an educational read that will enable the reader to come up with their own juicing concoctions based on the individual's desired nutrition. I can't wait to try several recipes that I've flagged based on desired results.

When I was undergoing cancer treatment a few years ago, this is the book I was looking for. It is written by a nutritionist who understands the value of receiving nutrition from foods and how those nutrients affect the body. It's too bad I didn't have this book back then. But I thank God that I have it, now. This book would be near perfect if it would only clean up my kitchen after I make my juice.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Excellent book! I use it "literally" everyday. I juice two times a day and I always like to look up a new one in the book. Each recipe is easy to prepare and has an excellent taste! Before I started juicing I didnt even know there were so many vegetables "out there." Now I try new ones and like them. Vegetables taste different when they are juiced compared to when they are cooked, even lightly steamed. When they are juiced their taste is usually good. Sweeter and milder (except for ginger)
This book is great! The only one I refer to "everyday."
Format: Kindle Edition
This book has everything! At 239 pages and over 400 recipes - there is bound to be something for everyone in this book.
The chapters in this book are -
All about juicing
Simple Juice recipes
Gourmet and exotic juice blends
Green juice recipes
Yummy fruit juice blends
Old favorites
Green smoothies
There is also a shopping guide and resource guide

Also, one of my favorites in a cookbook - lots of color pictures!
Here are some recipes that sound yummy to me! -
Ginger hopper with a twist (carrots, apple, ginger, lemon)
Cranberry pear fat buster (pears, cucumber, lemon,cranberries, ginger)
White grape-tangerine cocktail (tangerines, white grapes, apple)
Strawberry-rhubarb lemonade (strawberries, rhubarb, apples, lemon, stevia - optional)
Mango in Paris (kale, mango, peach, banana, yogurt, ice cubes)
And so many more!!!!

If you are a health food nut, trying to loose weight, or just like real good stuff to go into your body - this would be a great book for you! I have to say that is is one of the most complete juice and smoothie books I have seen.
on February 16, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
After the first 10 days you couldn't wipe the smile off my face, I just fell great and at 71 year old that is a good thing. I will be at 30 days on the 20th of Feb., those fresh veggies make a big difference in you health.
on January 26, 2013
Format: Paperback
A wonderful book containing many recipes to make juices but I'm really bummed there's NO index!!! I bought a bag of pears on sale and wanted to look up all recipes calling for pears. Ended up googling on juicing with pears on the Internet.
on February 18, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I liked a number of the recipes in this book, but I would have preferred that there be an index system that cross-referenced ingredients.
on May 28, 2013
Format: Paperback
The Juice Lady's Big Book of Juices and Green Smoothies by Cherie Calbom is one of the most beautifully illustrated health books I think I've read.

This colorful book offers a large variety of juice recipes and nice chapter of smoothie recipes. I have a Vitamix so I was hoping for a few more smoothie recipes when I set out to read it. . .but in the end she helped me see that a juicer would also be very beneficial to my health. After reading this book, I started looking for one to try. I appreciate that she offers hints on buying a juicer so I would better know what to look for.

With my Vitamix, I was able to try the Blueberry Jazz and the Berries and Cream smoothie recipes in this book. Both were quite good and I liked them for my tastes. Some of the other recipes that I might have tried I did not because she calls for juice as a part of them. . .I think I could use store bought juice but I realize I wouldn't get the health benefits of juicing my own produce fresh first.

I also plan to read more of Cherie's books after reading this one. In the beginning of this book, she shares her health issues and how she started juicing and changing her diet and what that did for her. She also shares other testimonials throughout the book which I enjoyed reading and felt inspired me to give juicing a try. Each chapter also includes side bars on various health foods, like greens or cinnamon, and the benefits you can reap from using those particular items.

I would recommend this book if you are interested in juicing and the health benefits that you may reap from juicing. If you are wanting to make smoothies, the book is good but there aren't nearly as many recipes for them as the juicing, so it is something to keep in mind. I also feel Cherie's story alone is inspiring for anyone looking to improve their health--especially if you are new to juicing

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review.
on July 9, 2013
Format: Paperback
This book is written by Cherie Calbom a clinical nutritionist and author of Juicing For Life, delivers a fun-filled guide that's packed with mouth-watering recipes on the road to good health. The author offers her famous recipes for juicing, smoothies, shakes, and sources. I enjoy to indulge on fruity, delicious smoothies - all are simple to make and you dont even need a juicer for some of the recipes, if you make the smoothies. Her recipes are easy to follow and dont contain a lot of ingredients and all are easy to find at your local grocery store / health foods markets.

There's simple and gourmet/exotic smoothie/juice recipes. There are a lot of beautiful pictures and lots to read, not just all recipes. She educates you about juicing and the great benefits you can get from drinking your fruits/veggies.

This book not only contains great recipes but a wealth of knowledge about selecting produce, how to pick the best product as well as storing them. If you have never juiced before - read the "All About Juicing" chapter 1 - and you'll be a pro!

Chapter 2 is called Simple Juice Recipes its a bunch of rather simple easy-to-make juices, some contain 2 ingredients and at the most 5. So yes, its rather simple and each recipe serves 1 person.
Chapter 3 - Gourmet & Exotic Juice Blends - this section contains some of the most interesting juice recipes Ive come across, they are very creative and exciting to try out. The Hot Tomato was delicious as well as the Nectarine Salsa Cocktail (no alcohol). I will be making more from this chapter!
Chapter 4 - Green Juice Recipes. Its just as it says - its full of green juices, but not every single ingredient used was just green - in some recipes watermelon, peaches, apricots, ginger, beets, lemon, apple and other non green ingredients are used as well. I recommend the V8 Charger, why buy it pre-made in a store, when you can make it fresh yourself?
Chapter 5 - Yummy Fruit Juice Blends - This chapter is filled with juice recipes not recommended to be drank everyday as these juices contain too much sugar, no sugar isn't added, but its naturally in the produce. These are great to make for picky kids or a way to get fruits / veggies into babies/toddlers. I love the Island Punch, Summer Cooler & the Mango Limeade.
Chapter 6 - Old Favorites - its filled with the authors favorite recipes that's been in a couple of her other books. Recipes include Green Lemonade, Spring Veggie Tonic, You Are Loved Cocktail.
Chapter 7 - Juice Remedies & Rejuvenators - This chapter will help you get started on the road to healing and rejuvenation So a lot of these recipes may help you with what ever ailment may be bothering you, such as allergies, anti-aging, anti-anxiety arthritis, asthma, your bladder, bone builder, brain helper, congestion, colds and it goes on! There's a great recipe called Healing Tea (for sore throats, cold, flu & infections). For this recipe you would just place all the ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer.
Chapter 8 - Green Smoothies - these are those quick and easy - right out of a blender to a glass recipes. A lot of these recipes remind me of that juice place that charges too much for what you get. Here you have the recipe and can make it at home and you'll know whats in it and you're not getting over charged for a bunch of ice.This section has a lot of my favorite recipes. It a favorite with kids too. How about a Chocolate Chimp?
Over 400 simple to follow recipes, its perfect for anyone. You can make a different juice everyday for over a year!

* I received a complimentary copy of this book from Charisma House for the purpose of this review

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations