Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

Perfect for : Personal Use

In a nutshell: This is a very well-thought-out book. We've been eating processed foods for so long, it is nice to know there is something we can do to help reverse some of the damage they are doing! There is a very strong message throughout the book, encouraging the reader to eat better by including more vegetables and fiber, and reducing red meat, sugar and highly processed foods. The authors have addressed all the main toxic areas in the body, providing helpful information on detoxing and fasting in order to heal and cleanse the body to become healthier. Each chapter includes facts pertinent to the subject, as well as supportive instructions. For cleanses, they include a sample menu with references to recipes within the book. Overall, it is easy to find information using the Index or chapter headings if you don't want to read the whole book.

Extended Review:
I was amazed to find a lot of information on Candida, a yeast-like health issue that one of my close relatives has suffered with for years. I immediately called my relative and read some of the book over the phone. She was so excited to hear what the book said, and can't wait to follow the cleansing suggestions to relieve the symptoms she has had for years! I can see how this book can be life-altering in a great and natural way!

Content: The content supports the book very nicely. It starts by talking about health, then explains the how's and why's of juicing, fasting and detoxing. The book then goes into the specifics of cleansing your colon, liver, gallbladder and kidney. It then progresses into more detox programs and cleansing yourself mentally and emotionally. In the final chapters the authors include information on the nutrient content in food, recipes to use while fasting and detoxing, and a nice resource guide.

Format: The chapters flow nicely, providing the reader with some great information. I was never confused while reading, but rather caught myself nodding several times in support of what was being explained. In addition to providing great information in each chapter, the authors have also provided some great guides on the nutrition of foods, recipes and resources as a wrap-up at the end of the book.

Readability: I found the book easy to read. The authors have presented factual and scientific information in a way that everyone can understand. The index is easy to use and helps the user find things quickly.

Overall: The book provides just about everything you need (except a juicer, vegetables/food, and supplements) to detox and cleanse your system in order to become healthier. I plan to try a lot of the cleanses and recipes in an effort to become healthier and more energetic!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2010
Her other book - "The juice lady's guide to juicing for health" is much better. This one really doesn't give much information and left me wanting to look for another book. When I found her other book, I wondered what the purpose of this one was.
on February 28, 2011
I bought this book after reading a lot of comments on Amazon.com (I go there when I need to decide on which books to buy as Americans post a lot of comments, a pity the same ones are not posted on other Amazon sites). I was looking for a book about juice fasting and ended up buying the Juice fasting bible and this one because they seemed to have more positive comments than most. I found Juicing, Fasting and Detoxing for life an extremely useful book but it is all about detoxing, not my first priority, which was juice fasting, therefore the 4 stars and not 5. I do believe that I should do some detoxing only it is so very complicated.... I will start with some juice fasting and maybe one day I will be up to the detox. Cherie has a great writing style, which you don't often find among health writers and unlike journalists who write about these topics, she does know what she is talking about.

This book includes quite a few detox programmes like the Colon Cleansing, Liver, Gallbladder and Kidney cleansing and even a Mental and emotional cleansing. As far as the juice and soup recipes go I will try a few but I have to say that my husband and I find it very difficult to take the green juices. And some of the soups include milk, something I dislike profoundly. No matter how much healthier green juices may be we will stick to the recipes of The Juice fasting Bible which include some fruit and taste a lot nicer. What is the point of doing something extremely healthy which you hate and will eventually give up? Celery juice we find rather hard to drink, no matter how many other ingredients you mix with it, the taste and smell always seems to be very present.

If you are looking for a detoxing book I can really recommend this one, if juice fasting is your priority.... not really, you won't find any fasting in it or you have to consider the detox programme as a fast. One last thing, Cherie seems to use a centrifuge juicer something which amazed me because I thought that if you are really serious on juicing for your health you would recommend and use a masticating juicer. I own an Oscar but I would recommend you do a lot of research before buying one. They are not cheap and the Oscar has a few problems.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2008
Juicing, Fasting and Detoxing for Life encourages readers to not only eat well but to lead healthier lives. The book does focus primarily on eating well as a means to living a healthier life. Calbom does make a serious attempt to show the impact our dietary choices have on our bodies. The discussion does consider dioxins, refined sugars, processed flour and other foods that we encounter daily.

The chapters are well organized and logically structured. The sidebars are informative and do not detract from the main narrative. The introduction and first chapter discuss the value of healthy living and an overview of how to achieve it. The following chapters discuss juicing, fasting and detoxing (in that order). The next four chapters delve into cleansing and detoxing programs. The last two chapters are a nutrient guide and recipes.

While the overall message and conclusions resonate with holistic living and healthy eating, I feel that the scientific evidence presented is not completely representative of the relevant scientific literature. For example, the discussion on BPA (bisphenol A), an additive used in plastics, and the discussion of avoiding #7 plastic does not consider the current scientific debate on these issues (which include dosage levels, interspecie differences, natural ubiquity of these chemicals, etc) - all of which seem to conclude that more work (especially long-term research) is needed. While our usage of dioxin has been increasing, dioxin levels in human milk and blood have been dropping steadily since the 1970s. Health Canada issued a report on BPA that cautioned its intake in large doses for children under the age of seven (the report resulted in more media-hype than scientific consideration).

Some readers may only be interested in the recipes. The ones that I tried were delicious, and easy to modify for personal taste. With a good juicer, they are easy to prepare (although not all recipes need a juicer). It is strange that the recipe for spinach-avocado soup or spinach power do not contain spinach. There is no explanation given for the omission, hence concluded that it is an oversight. Overall, it's a good book but needs a little more research and editing.

Armchair Interviews says: This book by a very prolific nutrition writer may interest people who focus on learning new techniques for good health.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Cherie Calbom hit a home run with this book. She really explains the whole package when it comes to why and how you should do a juice fast or juicing for that matter. For the person who ever wondered if a juice fast or juicing is really worth the trouble should read this book. Her testimony is really moving and can really help the person trying to get back to feeling good and heal from health issues. If you or a loved one have health issues, this is a must read book for you. This program really works. My husband and I tried her recipes and now use at least one of them everyday. One day I had a stuffy nose and was irritated with sinus issues. I did her sinus juice and within about an hour or so, I was way better. Don't like radishes, but it definately worked. This woman knows what she is talking about. I looked for many books on juicing, and bought many, her juicing books are the best.
on June 21, 2013
I gave this book 3 stars because it's not well organized as a reference book; it assumes that I will read from front to back cover rather than go directly to the chapters of most interest to me personally. I think it should also allow for easy cross-referencing between chapters, recipes, nutrients list. Here's why I say that:

I bought the Kindle version of this book and found it difficult to swiftly cross-reference the info I needed. That's part kindle issue and part organizational issue with the book. The kindle issue - or ebook in general - is that you need to be able to bookmark a few separate pages and flip back and forth between them to get the most out of the book quickly; it's impossible to do that with an ebook.

For example, There's a chapter on Detoxing the Colon; the chapter gives a pretty good overview of why, how, etc., and then in the daily schedule, it gives you a variety of recipes to choose from in Chapter 10. In order to figure out which recipe you want to insert in a given time period you go to Chapter 10 and select a recipe.

If you want to know what nutrients are in the foods you're juicing or eating, you have to go the nutrients list and search each vitamin and nutrient because there's no mention in the recipes of which ingredients have which nutrients.
Chapter 9 is the A-Z Guide on Vitamins and Nutrients and while it's a good reference for the way the author advises you use it, it's disconnected from the rest of the book as described here in my review.

While you're in Chapter 10 choosing a recipe, you'll see other recipes that look good but there's no way to tell what they're good for unless you read all of the other chapters on Fasting, Juicing, Detoxing the Liver, Gall Bladder, etc.

It would be more helpful if the recipes included info about what chapter you can find them recommended, what they are good for - energy, detoxing which organ, sustenance, brain power, etc. I have The Whole Foods Companion and use that as a reference. From comparing this to another veggie fast I was on, I know that this author uses ginger and lemon or lime to add energy boost to the veggie recipes, but I didn't see that written in the Intro or chapters I read.

One more Kindle issue: I want to juice to resolve osteoarthritis issues before they get serious and the Kindle version free preview references osteoarthritis - because it's mentioned in the introduction - but the full version has no more mention of it than that. So I need to find another reference for Osteoarthritis issues.

I returned the Kindle version and bought the paperback version and AM happy with it. I guess there's no such thing as an all-in-one reference for juicing, fasting and detoxing. YOu'll probably need The Whole Foods Companion as a reference no matter how many other reference and recipe books you buy.
on December 19, 2009
I think a lot of the claims are simply unbelievable. Apparently there's not a condition or malady that can't be cured through extensive juice fasting.
I personally do think there's a good place for the practice, for health maintenance, even for the treatment of some digestive and metabolic issues, and it is a very healthy way to lose weight, done with common sense. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a disease or infirmity that the author doesn't try to pitch juicing as a cure for. And strangely , most of the juice blends prescribed have the same basic ten ingredients. So, you know, you can cure your halitosis and your renal failure with the same glass of juice.
Having said that, there are some blends that I never would have thought of on my own, that turn out to be pretty tasty and to include fruits and vegetables that I've been wanting to get more of in my diet. I think it was worth the price, if only for that reason.
(Beet and spinach juice with lime and mint. So nice!)
on May 7, 2012
I chose to do this book for a book report for college, It sure didn't disappoint me! What an amazing book! It was
an easy read too. Tough when you look at the reality of the state of our environment but there is hope. This book
re energizes any kind of hope you may have let go of in the past to optimal health. This book was packed with not
only information on juicing but just about your body and what happens when it isn't fed the proper foods.
Very well written, very insightful and very helpful. I have read several health books but none compare to the
wealth of knowledge in this one! A must have for health!
on August 13, 2010
This is a great book, gives theory behind juicing and detoxing, as well as liver, gall bladder, and colon detoxing strategies. Easy to follow, informative, and well, I just like the book. I'm on a juice fast right now, it is kinda hell at moments, but I can already feel the benefits. fresh, organic produce is a must!

I'm using a vita-mix blender and filter bag to make quick green juice of greens, apple, lemon. I use a green star for the "big juice" with carrots, fruit, greens, veggies, etc. Drinking 3 quarts of juice, one green smoothie if i get really hungry. no solid food, no overt fats, no "superfoods".
on December 21, 2010
If you are ill, adding a glass or two of juice daily to your diet and also looking into some of the various gallbladder and liver cleansing treatments recommended in this book is such a good idea.

Many of us that are very ill can't fast but we can and still should read up about juicing and detoxification.

This book has a very light tone but the content and advice was quite solid, and so I would happily recommend it to others.

(I'd also refer the author to the HFME website, which discusses many of the facts and fallacies about 'CFS'!)

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. (HFME) and Health, Healing & Hummingbirds (HHH)