How does Julie's approach differ from Don Aslett's approach to clutter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2009 12:40:47 AM PST
I haven't picked up any books by Julie yet though I'm inclined to after thumbing through her "Organizing From the Inside Out". This book looks helpful too though I have to ask if anybody here has read books on removing clutter by Don Aslett and how they compare to Julie's approach. Are there more similarities than differences?

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 2:34:17 PM PDT
Amazon fan says:
Don's approach is good for removing your emotional attachment to large piles of objects that don't deserve it. It is a radical overhaul of your space - perhaps best for anyone who tends to hoard. Julie's approach is geared to re-directing your LIFE when you feel stuck. Unlike Don, she adds a step where you stop to identify the few true treasues before you throw away those piles...and think about where you want to actually go with your life. Those treasures can serve as a valuable compass, pointing the way to your next steps. Don's mantra is "cleaning it up," Julie's mantra is "getting unstuck and moving toward an authentic life." Don's style is in-your-face direct. Julie's style is a tad more diplomatic. One is not better than the other - they bear different messages. Both are good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 2:19:14 PM PDT
I just finished reading Julie's book Organizing from the Inside Out and recently purchased her Time Management from the Inside Out. I have struggled with being overly sentimental about objects and had problems with the accumulation of clutter in general for many years. I would recommend her organizing book, though I did think that some of the time frames she gives in the book for completing certain jobs were not realistic in my case. I found that they could be done in much less time than the book estimated. I've also had quite a lot of success by following the Fly Lady, Marla Cilley's advice on releasing clutter and establishing routines. She also has a book and a very helpful website.

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 10:45:52 PM PDT
I am one of those rare women who did not love Marla Cilley's approach. I found her intimidatingly self-satisfied, as well as overly directive: "I am your leader and role model; obey my instructions exactly, and you may become as efficient and well organized as I am." At least that's the "vibe" I got from her writings. At one time, she had women everywhere signing up for her daily email, which instructed the reader as to which precise tasks she must be doing on that particular day. Eek! -- not my type of self-help book at all.

In contrast, I love everything Julie Morgenstern writes. She is confident but modest, respectful of her readers, and steady in the role she seems to have adopted, that of a concerned but relaxed friend who enjoys sharing her expertise with her clients and learning from them what their own specific situations require. Many of her solutions are creative and original; all of them are highly practical. Don Aslett, in contrast, is not terribly specific, in my estimation; his style is lively and at times quite humorous, but much of his content amounts to good salesmanship -- convincing you, and then convincing you some more, that junk is bad for you, and you should heave it out. He does not really provide a logical flow of ideas or a well-thought-out program for tackling the job.

In summary, I would skip Cilla; I would might read Aslett for a bit of enjoyment -- a "light reading" break; I would read Morgenstern for a plethora of specific, practical advice. I have implemented many of Morgenstern's ideas and have gotten myself much better organized as a result. Morgenstern is a professional organizer with a clear, logical mind whose methodologies have been amply tested. Aslett owns a large, successful housecleaning service. Cilla, as I recall, is a politician, city official, wife, and mother who hit on a catchy "formula" for pitching regularly scheduled household tasks to women who were feeling overwhelmed.

I suspect that different people have very different needs when it comes to help with decluttering and reorganization; my needs, tastes, and preferences may be the exact opposite of yours. For that reason -- addressing the first person to post here, if she is even still looking for advice! -- it would probably be ideal if you could browse through several different books on organization before settling on one. You could also visit a given author's blog or website, assuming s/he has one, to get some sense of his/her style and approach. If you need a little extra motivation, I can recommend one additional book, albeit kind of "offbeat" -- Karen Kingston's Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 3:26:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 18, 2011 3:31:58 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life by Julie Morgenstern (Hardcover - 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (96)