4.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic
Lilly, like many children, finds her baby brother doesn't live up to the pre-birth hype. He steals attention from her is what he does.

Published on June 15, 2009 by Ulyyf

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't have bought this if I'd read it first
Published on September 10, 2003 by hummermummer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)

And she expresses this the way many children do - she uses her words. People claiming that their children never, ever, EVER use words like "hate" or "ugly" or "disgusting" either don't have four year olds (Lilly's approximate age), have blocked that age from their memory, are lying, are lying to THEMSELVES, or have the sweetest, nicest, most wonderful children in existence.

The rest of us live in the real world where four is the age of the potty mouth. Gosh, if I go through a day without hearing "I'm NEVER gonna be your SISTER ever AGAIN" and "I hate you, you're MEAN!" and "You're UGLY and MEAN and I'm gonna PEE ON YOU!" I start feeling foreheads! And of course my two nieces love each other very much (heaven forbid I put one in time-out for antagonizing her sister, it's the other one who whines and tries to convince me it's unnecessary and sneaks around to hand out hugs behind my back!), but like all young children they have big emotions and limited means of expressing them. (Really, I'm just happy they use their words instead of their hands.)

And of course they didn't pick up the words "hate" and "ugly" and "disgusting" from the book, they picked it up from other children and from us - who doesn't say, when they burn their toast for the third time in a row, "Ugh, I hate burned toast"? Who doesn't say, when their kid picks their nose at the table, "Ugh, that's disgusting, go wash off and don't do it again"? Who doesn't say, when they find a bug in the house, "Hey, an ugly bug! Let's put it outside!"? (Who really wants to limit their child's vocabulary and leave them hopeless when they start school?)

So yes, this is a very realistic book. And the resolution - banding together to protect her brother from an outsider - is pretty realistic too, the surplus of mice notwithstanding. I definitely recommend it for any child in the suggested age range of 4 - 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want children to love literature read them this book!, August 8, 1999
By A Customer
Kevin Henkes has written some wonderful books but Juilus steals my passion for reading. Everytime I read this story and act out Lilly's intolerable personality towards her baby brother Julius my students go wild. They especially love the part when Lilly is bending over the crib telling Julius the wrong order of the ABC's and 123's. I plan on buying all of Kevin Henkes books. I already have Chester's Way, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Shelia Rae the Brave, Chrysanthemum, A Weekend With Wendell, and Jessica. He is a great author and his books exhibit his talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 5 Star, Enjoyable, Funny Book for an OLDER sibling/siblings, October 14, 2011
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
Well, I actually came to Amazon to rate this book and discovered several negative reviews in doing that. I totally see where these negative reviews are coming from, I really do, BUT, it is a really funny book for the right audience. I don't think it's meant to be taken so seriously, and I suppose, for the younger toddlers, this should not be a book read to them. I wouldn't feel comfortable exposing this to any of my children unless several criteria were met. First, they should be older or mature enough to understand that this is a story, and just that. Second, I would introduce it only if you're confident in the relationships between your children as siblings. I was fortunate to have three sisters who were and are still just crazy about their baby brother, but DO, at times, see him as a pain. They know he's just a baby and babies, by nature, require lots of time and oogling over. My girls saw the humor in Lilly's behavior, they understood it, but never acted on it. I think they understand why an older sibling might not be so fond of a new baby. Yes the story is ridiculous, and if my girls even sort of acted out in the manner Lilly does, I'd probably avoid this story for fear of planting seeds in their heads and seek some therapy. Fortunately, my girls see the humor in it and find it funny because of the extreme nature of Lilly's personality and reaction to a new baby. We absolutely love reading this story to one another and laugh every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for children and adults., August 30, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
My entire family absolutely loves this book. It is a great read-aloud story that children happily listen to time after time. We call it "Max, the Baby of the World," after my youngest child. I bought extra copies and passed them on to relatives who have gone on to do the same. It is a timeless story of sibling rivalry and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irrepressible Lilly!, March 17, 2001
Bibliotekaria (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
Kevin Henkes' Lilly is one of those delightfully unforgettable characters in children's literature. Her reactions to her new baby brother, Julius, are intense as they range from resentment to devotion. Lilly's outrageous responses to Julius could help validate a child's feelings toward a new baby in the family.
Don't miss John Schindel's "Frog Face: My Little Sister & Me," which explores similar feelings and includes very appealing photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book kids relate to...!!!, May 1, 2002
A charming book with captivating illustrations, exploring the resentment all new siblings feel, turning it around to create to a "surprise" ending where Lilly's loyal side finally shines through.
All kids Lilly's age worry a little when they feel "bad-kid" emotions; this book offers reassurance that it'll probably turn out okay in the end.
Kevin Henkes is fast becoming one of our favourite children's authors / illustrators!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK, June 7, 2007
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
Ok a word to the wise, when I started reading this I had not pre-read it so I was a little shocked at how negative the sister is with her brother and kept looking at my older daughter wondering if it was going to give her "ideas". She loved the book and after finishing the whole book and rereading it again and again it's a great little book about siblings. I love all of Henkes books but this is one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO more Julius!!!, May 1, 2006
Annabelle (Boone, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
"Julius is the baby of the world." Everyone loved the new baby in the house except for Lilly. It is hard when a new person takes away the attention that you are used to having. This is how Lilly felt towards her new brother. Throughout the book, Lilly tortures her brother by trying to get rid of him and calling him names. Her parents explain to her that he is going to be around forever and Lilly is unhappy. Lilly is determined to be the queen of the house and not get to know Julius. Not until a party that Lilly's parents through for Julius does Lilly have a change of heart. When her cousin Garland decideds that Julius is not great, Lilly stands up for her baby brother. This story has a happy ending and an experience that many of us have gone through. Once again, Kevin Henkes gives us another mouse book filled with emotion and color in every character and every page.

I loved this story because you can relate to how Lilly's character felt. It does take some adjustment when a new member comes into the family. This is something that many future students know about and I think that Kevin Henkes makes this situation light hearted and sweet. I would love to read this story to my future students and see their opinion of Lilly's actions towards her new baby brother.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't have bought this if I'd read it first, September 10, 2003
"hummermummer" (Tigard, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
Maybe this book would be a good thing for an older child who could understand that the behavior described in the book might be meant as something funny and not be OK to try, but I don't plan to read it to my 2 1/2 year old. It features a big sister who is having a tough adjustment to a new little brother (so far so good), but it goes into descriptions of a degree of negativity and acting out that I am not really looking to introduce my child to or read about over and over. The new big sister is pictured leaning over the baby's crib saying: "I hate you. You're ugly." In our family, we just don't talk to each other like that. The girl makes up a story for her brother in which she says he is a germ, a zero, like dust under the bed, like dirt...If my child had come up with doing this sort of thing on her own, I'd have to think hard about whether reading a story like this would be helpful. Since she hasn't come up with this kind of behavior, I don't really want to plant the seeds by reading this together. I thought Susan Winter's A Baby Just Like Me was much better, and my daughter loves that book. I also liked Geraldine's Baby Brother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Baby Julius, April 6, 2003
Detelina (Long Island City, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Julius, the Baby of the World (Paperback)
DO NOT be scared of the previous reviewers silly fears about "bad words" in this book. You don't have to be a genius to see that this is a positive book, with an extremely positive message about babies. Plus, it is Kevin Henkes, and he writes books that kids love, I know, I'm a teacher and if you want your kids to love books, buy them books like this. It's great, and the illustrations are adorable.

Julius, the Baby of the World
Julius, the Baby of the World by Kevin Henkes (Paperback - September 21, 1995)
$6.99 $6.29