First I would like to confirm that this is the exact same unit as the ION OMNI SCAN Stand-Alone Image and Slide Scanner http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046TBJEM.

- I use it only for 35mm films - Color and B/W.
Published on August 29, 2012 by Papa Johnny

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing image quality
Published 18 months ago by AZdesert35

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good device with one Flaw (resolved by Customer Service), August 29, 2012
Papa Johnny (Chicago Metropolitan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jumbl 35mm Film Slide and Negative Scanner - 10 Mega Pixel Film to Digital Image Converter - with 2.4-Inch LCD and TV-Out (Office Product)

- I use it only for 35mm films - Color and B/W.
- I set it at 10 Megapixel per picture (there are 2 options: 5 Mpx and 10 Mpx) and I do recommend it to be set this way. Otherwise the pictures will look smaller on modern monitors or HDTVs. The size of the file will still be small, comparing to any modern digital camera.

PROs:

1. It's very easy for use and should be intuitive even for seniors (with some initial help from their kids :) I wouldn't recommend to use any enhancements to the scans on the device itself - it's better to use any free simple editor, like Picasa afterwards for contrast/color improvements.

2. It's FAST, because, actually, this is not a scan - this is a small camera inside the device which makes pictures of films and slides. To feel the speed - I was able to make about 750 pictures in just 2 evenings.

3. It's a stand alone unit - you can scan to a SDHC card that are very cheap now.

CONs:

There is only one, but quite a significant flaw. There is a piece called "Film holder" that is used to guide a film or a slide into the device. It's made of clear plastic. It gets scratches pretty fast (at least for films). Those are micro scratches, that go in the film direction and they become visible on the pictures after approximately first 500 frames. The manufacturer provides TWO (2) of those holders inside the box, which is nice, but not enough in my case. So keep this in mind.

NOTE FOR THE MANUFACTURER / DISTRIBUTOR:
If I would be able to buy those Film Holders as parts - I would give it 5 stars!

UPDATE 08/29/2012
I decided to upgrade my review to 5 stars after I contacted the DB-Tech Customer Service (dbtech@camarketingusa.com) about extra "Film Holders". Sam replied almost immediately and resolved my issues. Great Customer Service!

UPDATE 11/12/2012
I just got an email from the seller. They added "DB-Tech Replacement Film Holders for DB-FS150 Film Slide and Negative Scanner - 3x Strip Film and 1x Single Frame holder" - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6GROIO for $3.99. I would REALLY recommend to buy a set of those together with the scanner. Kudos to the seller - they listened to their customers! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing image quality, August 20, 2013
This is my first Amazon review so I hope that lends some credibility to the depth of my concerns. This is the first time I felt this disappointed about a purchase that I wanted to share my experience. I spent weeks scouring reviews trying to find the perfect solution for archiving 39 years worth of slides and negatives. The first question was flatbed scanner with film attachment or dedicated film/slide scanner? I concluded that a dedicated unit would most likely have better results scanning film because, well, that is their only purpose in life. I was willing to spend $100-$200 for a low end consumer model but was unable to find one that had a high enough rating that it seemed like a no brainer. I finally saw how popular this model was and didn't see any negative comments that scared me away so I decided to give it a shot.

I eagerly opened my box from Amazon. To their credit, the item shipped super fast even with standard shipping and was very well packaged. I am very pleased with them on this transaction from order to delivery, as always. I opened the product box and took everything out. All items present and accounted for. My first reaction was that the unit was incredibly light. I examined it and felt like it was maybe one generation ahead of the old viewmaster I had as a kid in terms of quality and construction. For $79 I wasn't expecting machined aluminum, but the whole thing just kind of felt cheap. Other than that, everything you need to scan is there in the box and well packaged.

I first plugged scanner into the wall, but then realizing I didn't have an extra memory card laying around, I decided to run it out of a USB port on my computer. You can scan 10 images on the unit's internal memory if you decide not to use a separate memory card, which is convenient for small batches and testing. Bear in mind, you cannot view the image through your computer at any point. You basically do everything you need to do on the machine, then press a button to switch to USB transfer, and cut and paste the image into a folder on your PC as if it was a flash drive. Then you can open and manipulate the file in whatever image editing software you choose to use. Thus, making good scans is a back and forth process. You can view the image live on the little screen on the unit, but the display is about as good as a digital camera display from ten years ago. You can't really use it to do anything other than confirm the image you are looking at and the most basic adjustments. I found that the images all get washed out in the default settings so I dropped the exposure setting down a notch or two. That's pretty much the only image adjustment you can make, besides flipping and rotating. Everything else you need to do in post production on your computer.

All the parts and pieces seemed to work ok. The on-screen menu was a little rudimentary and initially difficult to navigate through, but once you figure out how to manipulate everything (about 15 minutes) you'll realize how incredibly simple the whole process is. Once you get in your rhythm, you can start cranking out scans. It really is fast, you can do about 5 slides a minute. I do like that it is a standalone unit so you can sit on the couch and watch tv while going through a stack of slides.

Here is my biggest complaint and the ultimate deal breaker, and it really is a function of my own expectations. My goal for this thing was to scan slides and negatives, to make decent digital images to send to friends by email and to post online. From time to time, I'd like to make a 5x7 print to put in a frame for someone's desk. 35mm film, if shot well, will get you up to an 11x14 print without significant issues with resolution. I had no expectation that for $79 I was going to get a giant poster size museum quality archival print. I only wanted two things. A good image on the computer and a good image on a small print. Even using the 10MP setting, I couldn't get an image that was anywhere near satisfactory. I felt like I wanted to reach inside and find some kind of focus mechanism but there is nothing like that anywhere. Again, my goal was to be able to digitally archive my negatives and slides so that I could retire them once and for all and use those images for all future reference. I couldn't get anything close to that. I wanted to include a picture sample but haven't figured out how.

In my sample batch, the original Kodachrome processed slides were taken by a decent photographer. They are well composed, very well exposed and the detail in the original slides are, in my opinion, exceptional. I could take them to a local lab and get some really nice, large size prints from them. I know the originals are as good as they get for 35mm. I printed a 4x6 on my printer and the image looks like I had a few beers in me first. The words and lines were not sharp at all. I wouldn't use this for anything more than a small website post on a blog or something casual like that where the image was very much reduced.

I can honestly say that I got a better image scanning the original Walgreen's 4x6 prints I already had using my $49 scanner than I did from the scan of the source slides on this machine. I have a sub-10 megapixel camera that produces a better digital image than this. I've spent two days trying to get myself to like this piece of equipment, but I just don't have it in me. Maybe I got a dud. I will be returning it with the following plan. First, I will try the next step up, like the Wolverine F2D20 which says 20MP so I am hoping it will be more generous with the resolution. If for some reason that doesn't work, I will spend a couple hundred on a good flatbed scanner with some kind of film attachment. If that doesn't work, I will just forget the project for a while until I can save enough money to go with a nice used Plustek or Nikon product.

I try not to be too critical but there are so many positive reviews, I wanted to at least tell my side of the story for anyone who is in the same position with the same goals as me. It was because of the other positive reviews that I made my decision to buy this item. None of the other reviews I read are wrong, but for someone trying to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish, this was a waste of time and money. I wouldn't use this for anything more than maybe a low resolution digital catalog so that I could open a folder on my computer and determine which items are in a particular slide carousel or sleeve of negatives without having to hold them up to my desk lamp. I wouldn't rank this item much higher than toy status. I am thankful for Amazon's generous return policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Break out those old memories and convert them to modern digital photos!, March 5, 2013
Length:: 7:21 Mins

I have been a photographer for 45 years and I enjoy shooting photos at family get togethers, vacations and weddings. In the old days almost all of my photos were with 35 MM color film or B/W film. Now I use high resolution digital cameras.

This excellent scanner allows you to convert your old film into high resolution JPEG photos that are 5 or 10 Mega pixels in size. It will scan 35 mm color film, black and white film and slides. This is all selectable in the device in the setup mode. The unit has a color LCD display so you can see your photos and you can flip them, make mirror images and adjust the brightness to get a good copy.

It comes with:
* The scanner
* An AC wall power supply
* A USB cable to power it or to connect it to your computer
* A cable to connect the scanner to your TV
* A film holder for strip film
* A film/slide holder for single pieces of film or slides
* An instruction book
* A film removal strip

The unit is compatible with both Mac and PC computers and it requires no software. When it is plugged into your computer it looks like a hard drive and you can transfer the photos to your computer for further editing or posting. The photos are stored on a SD card and the storage and conversion is fast and easy. Make sure that you use a 32 GIG memory SD card or smaller and that it is formatted in FAT32 format. SD cards larger than 32 GIG use exFat and that formatting is not compatible with the scanner.
Make sure that you are careful not to scratch the plastic film holders and that they and the film are not dusty. Every speck of dust will be a spot on your converted photo so extra care in cleaning will produce a better final result. If your film holders get scratched you can purchase additional ones on Amazon here:

What I like is that you can convert your film into JPEG photos without the use of a computer and it is fast and easy. I hope the video is helpful to you in making your purchasing decision. My wife and I love this product and we are beginning to go through boxes of film now to be to convert them all.

I rated this product as a 5 star item.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars DB-Tech Slide Scanner, July 20, 2012
I bought this item because I had another type of scanner that I was working with and it died! So I went on Amazon and read about this and decided that it would work to finish what I wanted to do. I tried it and was very very happy with the way it worked. It took my slides and brightened them so I would have a very good picture when I printed them. My other scanner did not do that so my other pictures were darker than I would have liked. It is very easy to use and I was very excited to be able to use my SD card to save my images and then put them on the computer. My other scanner would only let me do 12 at a time and then put them on the computer as it did not use an SD Card. I love this product! It is just what I wanted and More! I am scanning about 2,000 slides and then putting them on the computer and from there will get pictures made. I am so glad I went to Amazon instead of going to a store. I am getting my project done much faster and the quality of the pictures is going to be great! Thank you Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast Scan But..., December 4, 2012
I have a consumer video services company. I need a way to scan slides faster than we currently
do with a flatbed scanner. I bought the unit to speed-up production.
I was anxious to try the unit, so I rescanned some slides that we just finished
for a customer. So I had a "Before" and "After" picture to compare.

I'd recommend this for the novice/consumer that is looking to do the leg work themselves.
There is no way to control color with this unit.
A lot of slides were yellow or blue. I was able to color correct the scans with my photo editor.

It was extremely fast and the picture was OK.
I hooked up the USB cable and a Digital Media Card for saving.
Easy to transfer and access the files from the media card.

Give it a try. If you are looking for top quality slide scans, this unit is not for you.
I may keep it to use for 35mm negatives to scan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy To Operate, Inexpensive Solution, March 7, 2013
Length:: 4:56 Mins

My Dad was a photographer. As he got older he transferred many of his photos and copyrights to me but there still remained a rather huge number of slides and negatives when he passed several years ago. As a result, my youngest daughter, who inherited the photography bug from her Grandpa, and I each have a very large plastic storage bin full of slides and negatives that we've been wanting to digitize for preservation's sake. If you've ever priced out having this commercially done, then you know that it can be very expensive. Getting all the slides scanned is a project that has been nagging at my daughter for some time now, so not long ago she sent me a link to a slide scanner remarkably similar to this one, suggesting that it might just be the perfect birthday gift. So, when DB-Tech asked me to evaluate this DB-Tech 35mm Film Slide and Negative Scanner - 5 Mega Pixel Film to Digital Image Converter - with 2.4-Inch LCD and TV-Out I was happy to agree.

The scanner arrived one day last week and after I took a gander at the contents of the box and read through the manual off it went to my daughter's house and that huge bin of slides. She scanned over 300 slides in just a couple of hours, then on Saturday instead of our usual bake-a-thon we scanned most of the remainder and made this little video showing the DB-Tech 35mm Film Slide and Negative Scanner while we were at it. While we didn't get all of the film scanned, we did scan the entire bin full of slides. I came across pictures I didn't even know existed, never mind pictures I haven't seen in fifty years! What a treasure trove.

As you can see, the scanner is very small and very easy to operate. Do set the resolution at 10M rather than 5 for best print output. While you can do minor manipulation of the images to some extent right on the scanner, I would recommend Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or GIMP for most manipulation as well as restoration, color corrections and red eye removal. You can leave the scans on the SD card or transfer them to your computer or an external storage device.

If you have a big project in the works, you will also want some Air Power Dusters and some spare DB-Tech Replacement Film Holders for DB-FS150 Film Slide and Negative Scanner - 3x Strip Film and 1x Single Frame holder. One note about the film holders - while they look quite similar, notice that each is clearly marked on the bottom as being for a single frame or a filmstrip. Also note the word "Front" embedded into one edge of the holder. The holder goes into the machine with the word Front facing you so that you can read it. Otherwise, it will not line up correctly to insert the film.

Grandma's $0.02 - What a great little machine, one that made very quick work of a very large project. Highly recommended. (Now if it only scanned 11 x 14 inch photographs wouldn't I be a happy camper!)

4.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts, September 12, 2012
I'm a 45 year career Air Force photographer. The unit seems to work well,especially for the price. The written instructions were terrible, you're pretty much on your own to figure it out. Once you understand how it works, copying moves quickly, but you do need needle nose pliers to remove the slides. The digital age has made photography so much easier and the products are definitely better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the Memories, September 6, 2012
I ordered this product to move my old slides that go back 50 years to when my kids were little to my computer. Having someone else do them would cost a fortune and this is a really great price for a product that does a wonderful job. I was a little confused by the small manual that came with the machine. But, their email is on the manual and I emailed them and what service!!! I got a CALL, can you believe that and a return email along with a new manual they have out. Their support is great. I have come to the conclusion that the only companies that I want to do business with are ones that have good support. Sam is their support person and so nice. He told me to call him anytime for help. That's hard to find these days. What a breath of fresh air. I have now done about 60 of the hundreds of slides I have and am very pleased with this product and what fun I am having seeing these old pictures and reliving them again. Thanks DB Tech for the Memories.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, poor image quality, September 18, 2013
I wanted to like this device. I have hundreds, if not thousands, of negative film strips (missing many of the prints), and I wanted to archive, and possibly make small prints (4 x 6 of some favorites). I even have all the negatives from our wedding photographer. I decided to test this device with the wedding negatives, as the shots are well composed, tack sharp (focus), and well lit.

The instructions were simple and straightforward, the device arrived packaged well, and complete with all parts. I got it set up, and scanned one negative film strip onto an SD card. I then popped the SD card into my computer, and pulled up the scanned images from the strip. They were grainy, fuzzy, and of extremely poor quality. EXTREMELY poor quality. I tried again, using the 10MP setting, and again, poor result. Slightly better than the 5MP setting, but *very* slight -- it was still quite poor, and not of the quality described in the product information, nor by some other reviewers. The concept is super, but the result doesn't match the concept.

I would not recommend this product, even though I really, really wanted to like it. I either got a bad unit, or other reviewers are happy with a poor result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product after help from DBTech., July 20, 2012
Marcia (Overland Park, KS, United States) - See all my reviews
What a great little machine this DB-Tech 35mm Film Slide/Negative Scanner is! My husband and I have hundreds of old slides we want to save in digital form, and when we began exploring saw several types of scanners and chose this one from Amazon. To say the least, we are not tech savy and although we CAN read, we had trouble figuring out USB cables, buttons, and arrows that young whippersnappers might know right away. I emailed DB-Tech and Sam responded by giving us his phone # and eventually leading us through the set-up step by step! What a nice young Tech Rep. who was very polite AND patient. We would definitely recommend this scanner, and especially to older people (who I'm sure exist out there) with hundreds of slides that they used to bore company with and would like to again!