Jump Rope Training - 2nd Edition
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$16.82 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Paperback
Jumping rope may be a popular activity on the playground, but this child's play has evolved into one of the most efficient ways to improve cardiovascular health. In the new edition of his popular book Jump Rope Training (Human Kinetics, June 2010), Buddy Lee explains how jump rope training offers functional exercise that can increase fitness and sport performance.

Many of the greatest athletes jump rope. The famous late Bruce Lee jumped rope to develop that tremendous quickness for which he was well known.

Jumping rope is an extremely good way to get fit fast. It's a cardio workout that can be done in a short time, preferably in intervals.

If you want to discover the value and the techniques of jumping rope, you'll find this book invaluable.

Now, I must confess that I couldn't jump rope. I can play most any sport very well. I'm fit and love to workout. But I could not jump rope before getting this book. Moving my hands and getting my feet to obey my commands at the same time was too much multi-tasking for me.

So, if you've never jumped rope before, have no fear. You too can do it. And it's a workout!

I love how jumping rope using Buddy's system makes you so quick. He writes, "Quickness is best understood as reaction time. Good reaction time allows you to take advantage of split-second opportunities to act or react in order to make use of a window of opportunity and thus gain an advantage or recover from a disadvantage. My jump rope training system specifically targets quickness of the hands and feet because most athletic movements are executed by hand, foot, or, in many cases, both."

He also teaches you sprint and circuit training programs, which are highly effective training methods.

Buddy's system promises to help you develop . . .

- Increased wrist, ankle, and knee strength
- Conditioning of your back, shoulders, and chest
- Increased gripping strength
- Improved posture
- Increased proprioceptive in your feet and ankles
- Increased strength in your calves and quads
- Improvements in vertical leap, lateral shifting, and start speed
- Stimulation of your vestibular system, which improves balance
- Reduced stretch-shortening cycle, which reduces the time it takes the muscles to contract, leading to increases in speed, quickness, power, and improved reaction times
- Increased burning of fat through recruitment of multiple muscle groups and engagement of multiple energy systems
- Improved concentration, which reduces your energy expenditure, increases your endurance, and improves your performance.

His system consists of three steps.

1. Base phase. You learn the skill of jumping and develop initial jump rope proficiency.

2. Conditioning phase. Learn the 15 sports training jumps included in level 1, then try the 10 sports training jumps on level 2. Establish basic jump rope capacity.

3. Sports training phrase.

He gives some interesting comparisons to the value of rope jumping to other sports. For example, jumping rope for 10 minutes at 120 RPM produces the same cardio fitness as 2 sets of tennis or jogging 30 minutes at a moderate pace.

Drawings are provided that show what muscles are worked during each phase of a jump. You'll also learn the correct body position and proper grip. And you'll discover the two basic techniques of jumping rope, the bounce step and alternate-foot step.

To give you an idea of what you'll find in the book, take a look at the contents.

Part I: Jump Rope Training Progression

Part III: Supplemental Uses for Jump Rope Training

Chapter 11: Warm-Up, Cool-Down, and Active Rest

Chapter 12: Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation

Chapter 13: Weight Loss for Athletic Goals

Buddy says, "Jumping is a skilled movement that requires proper timing and coordination of the rope swing with each jump. In time, you will discover that as you practice proper rope-jumping form and technique you eventually experience a rope-jumping rhythm that builds your agility, timing, and balance."

He discusses intensity training, which is a superior way to benefit from any workout. You get a great cardio workout in a short time. You'll learn how to test before you begin so you have a baseline. "Setting a baseline teaches you that your ability to maintain proper intensity depends on a combination of conditioning, concentration, and technique. If one of these variables is off, you will fail to reach the baseline," he says.

He also shows you how to find your target heart rate. This is vital in any training program. Of course, there are some people who, for a number of reasons, need to use the perceived exertion scale.

Who is this book for? I'd say that anyone who wants to learn to jump rope and gain the most benefits from it should get this book. However, it's also for those who already know how to jump rope and even experienced athletes. Why? Because it's a complete system with a program that will quickly help you develop quickness and other much-needed abilities --- plus get an exceptional cardio workout in a short time. I can think of no better, faster way to lose weight.

Highly recommended.

- Susanna K. Hutcheson
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
Anyone into fitness training is already well aware of the excellent calorie burn that jumping rope offers. So much so that many of the top workout DVDs now have you do steps as though yuou are holding an invisible jump rope, and some of the Wii fitness games have you hold the controls like a jump rope.

So I have the invisible jump rope moves well mastered. **grin** I decided to kick it up a notch.

But I'll be honest, as someone very into workout DVDs, I had my doubts I could learn some wicked moves from a BOOK. Consider me corrected.

This book is not a skinny one...at over 200 pages it's written so you master the art. The photographs of the moves are laid out in sequence so you see the movement or the rope along with your hands and feet in unison so it is really no different that watching it on tv except that you grasp it without having to rewind!

Aside from the steps shown that make a workout that burns hella calories FUN, I found the first part of the book to be very important...getting the rope the perfect fit for your body, holding the rope, etc. I had had the rope ALL wrong prior and didn't know it. This was step one for me in being able to even begin mastering some fun steps.

For athletes wanting to train in new ways (which I am not, I just like to max my caloric burn and strength building) this is very well written to varied sports helping the reader know how to maximize their desired skills through jump rope training...whether that be speed, coordination, agility, balance, strength, fitness...pick a sport and you'll find the author helping you to maximize what you need most in the best ways here. Simply want a new fitness routine that only costs the price of a rope and will burn calories faster and most anything else you can think of? He lays out routines with differenct steps if you want them...or just play with the rope. Heck, even just jumping up and down will scorch em.

I wear a bodybugg to measure my daily caloric burn and I only mention that so you know my caloric expenditure was based on that, rather than just perceived exertion.

So here's the deal...bottom line...I have NO coordination in spite of my love of staying in shape. None. Nada. Did I master the rope? Quickly. It's fun in all honesty...inner child making me work out? Win/Win. I can highstep, cross my legs while jumping, power side straddle, cross the rope in my arms now. Just learning it, even when I was messing up, burned A plus calories for me and got my blood rushing but I didn't think about it because my mind was on the learning and the "playing". Better yet, it does build strength with the moves shown in the book. I just added ankle weights and wrist weights to try a new challenge now.

Very well written, easy to follow. The pics are in black and white rather than color if that is important to you but it didn't matter to me since it was really about the form rather than anything else which came across easily. I am sharing this book now with a friend who is a personal trainer who focuses on improvement for certain sports because it also helps a trainer know what to focus on for what you particularly want improvement in.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2010
Format: Paperback
I was looking to add a little 'extra' to my cardio workouts and I just don't like to run. Jump Rope Training by Buddy Lee makes it super easy, and fun, to get started jumping rope. So far I'm just trying to master the basic techniques (Chapter 3) but I look forward to adding the different jumps to my workouts and improving my overall conditioning. When I first picked up a jump rope I really didn't know what length it should be, what kind of rope is best for me, and how to hold/turn it. I'm now able to jump rope for 2-3 minutes at a time and look forward to getting to the 5 minute mark. Great book for a beginner like me but probably even better for anyone involved in a sport as it adds a new and fun dimension to training!
on April 20, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Obviously, this book covers a very specific topic. I recommend adding jump rope to your exercise routine, especially if you are looking for some alternatives to jogging. You can get your heart rate up in a short amount of time and, I presume, burns some calories. It will wear you out.

The book covers a progression learning a variety of jumping techniques. You start with the basic jump (two feet), which was basically the only jump I was any good at before reading Buddy Lee's book. After reading the descriptions and practicing the jumps one at a time, I quickly learned how to do a variety of jumps. Jumping while crossing the rope truly adds some upper-body work, and "double-unders," or two turns of the rope for one jump, will humble you when you first try it. I think that jumping rope is more enjoyable and less monotonous since I now know a variety of jumps.

I know I like detail when I read reviews, so: the book contains a lot of background information about jumping rope--selecting a rope, jumping surface, potential jump rope injuries (and avoiding such injuries), footwear, and building your stamina/jumping capacity with a logical progression. I'm assuming there is more specific info here about jumping rope than anywhere else. Note the Mr. Lee is a jump rope expert and has worked with Olympic athletes, so he seems very credible. As far as the jumping techniques, the book includes 15 basic jumps. 10 of these jumps appear in the "power" program, meaning that you do one of each jump with two turns of the rope (harder than it sounds). The "highly advanced" technique is three turns of the rope per jump...I'm not there yet.

Mr. Lee has designed very specific, easy-to-understand training programs based on your goal (strength/power, endurance, agility); furthermore, he provides recommended programs for nearly every sport. The programs are designed to take you from beginner to advanced, so I do believe you could follow along and progress nicely. If you are wondering how a book about jumping rope could be 215 pages--trust me, there is a lot of detail. Even though the average user may not need the sport-specific detail, we can all benefit from varying our training goals from time to time. Coaches will likely enjoy this detail.

The publisher did a nice job with the book--simply adding the gray margin on certain edges makes is easy to locate the "Techniques" and the "Programs" for quick reference.

I like using the jump rope in an interval fashion (e.g., alternating, say, pushups and jump rope). Occasionally, I will try for a goal of, say, 500 continuous jumps, but I prefer the interval workout.

If you are wondering, you do need some ceiling clearance if you plan to workout inside. Fortunately, my garage allows me to turn the rope (I'm 6'4", and the ceiling is about 8'). In my old basement, jumping rope was not an option since I only had a few inches above my head. I would guess that, if you can reach up and touch your ceiling, you will not have enough room.

Mr. Lee suggests that you take you time. Follow this advice. On my first effort, I tried for about 15:00 of interval jump-rope work with just the two basic jumps outline in the book. I thought, well, I workout, I squat, etc., I can do a few minutes with a jump rope. I was quite sore the next day! Also, be patient--I had to practice some of the jumps before I learned the timing.

If you need a jump rope, the cotton kind at the sporting goods store will not do the job. I've reviewed a few "speed ropes" here on Amazon; check out the ultra speed cable rope.
on April 26, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
A well written, concise, organized and informative book. There is a wealth of detail outlining the steps to success in injury free jump roping proficiency. However, some additional benefit could have been gained through a more detailed breakdown of some of the more complex techniques for the novice jumper.
Otherwise, well worth the investment.
on March 2, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
If you want to learn about the finer points of jumping rope, this is the book for you. As a beginner I found the book easy to read with common sense tips on how to build up to a decent fitness level.
on April 5, 2014
Format: Paperback
First of it all; it's a very good book. It's not focused on freestyle but rather on athletic performance, considering both endurance and power.
It is quite out of date for what matter certain aspects - like footwear: Lee still recommends highly padded shoes, while there are other options, although more advanced, that should be taken into account; like boxer shoes, minimalist shoes, or even barefoot jumping to maximize foot strength.
I own the first edition. I bought this one and I asked for a refund when I realized that there isn't very much new compared to the first one though. So if you already own the first edition don't expect any innovation in this version.
on April 25, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I would say this book is aimed at athletes looking to incorporate skipping into their fitness regiment. Beginners could use this book to start their efforts but the balance of the book is aimed at athletes.

I started skipping and developed a little bit of heel pain. The book does try to deal with these sort of problems but I think a real live instructor might have better advice.
on September 18, 2010
Format: Paperback
Buddy Lee's JUMP ROPE TRAINING appears in its second updated edition to provide jump rope workouts and the latest on rehabilitation of sport injuries and optimizing body composition. From a power skier's jump to basic conditioning programs for a range of sports, this is a fine addition for any fitness library.
on August 3, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
You would think rope jumping is easy and natural and it is but until you read this book you know nothing about the technical and physical implications. Everybody who wants to be fit should read it it.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations