Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Jungle Rules: A True Story of Marine Justice in Vietnam
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on July 27, 2007
For individual who states that it doesn't use enough "Muvver-Fletchers" I applaud the restraint. I've read many books over the years, and some authors seem to make them "more authentic" by over-use of foul language. Sell books? I hope not! Clark Gable should have been horse-whipped for using "Frankly my dear, I don't give a da++! This simple departure has flooded the screen with filth. Heck, I spent thirty years in a Marine Corps Uniform, and I'm well aware of some of the rather colorful language that punctuated our speech. I have also read many John W. Thomason novels that I thoroughly enjoyed and no foul language was used - the story was the thing!

I would also like to point out that this is a NOVEL, NOT a true story although it is based on some true events. The characters are fictional (deliberately so I might add). Henderson's writings are excellent; I thoroughly enjoyed his book "Marshalling the Faithful" as that one was a true story and covered a number of personal friends (one of whom had been my room-mate in the Basic Officer's School, and another was a Lieutenant I inherited in the 2nd Recon Battalion after his service in Vietnam). Not only does Henderson tell a great story, it's the way he puts the story together that brings me back to his writings!

Excellent and entertaining reading. He makes it clear that the book is fiction, and his personal experience as a Marine in combat gives it an "aire" of authenticity not normally garnered in current military writing.

Highly recommended - it'll certainly hold your interest if you read it for what it is! If you want everyday "barracks language" give me a call and I'll oblige! Heh, heh, heh...

Dick Culver
on July 29, 2007
I think this is Charles Henderson's most entertaining book since Marine Sniper. There was more to Vietnam than just the battles. This book shows another dimension of the country by describing the DaNang underworld and what happens when some Marines get involved in it. The hook to this story reminds me a little of the TV series Law and Order, which is pitched as fiction based on real life events. This is similar, but set in the Vietnam War and based on a lot of things that did happen in the DaNang area.

This book has plenty of salty language. I also agree that profanity can be badly over-used. That's one of the things that really turned me off to the TV series "Deadwood." Use too much profanity and the words loose their impact, or just become distracting or feel like shtick. I think there's a good balance in Jungle Rules.

Although this book is a very entertaining read, I can't believe Berkeley/Caliber gave it such a lame looking cover. It looks like a history class text book! It totally misses the theme of the story. This novel deserved an exciting looking cover that properly fit the material. I thought about knocking a star off my review over this issue, but I'm not going to penalize the text over a screw up by the publisher's marketing department.
on July 27, 2007
I too, was in Vietnam during the time this book was written. I was a machine gunner in the Grunts and this is exactly how "Real Marines" talk and act. Many people "Served" in Vietnam, but "Few" were in the "Mud with the Blood" - This is an OUTSTANDING book written by a former Recon Marine and it doesn't get more "REAL" than that! Charles Henderson is a "Marine's Marine!!!"
Give this book a read and ignore the negative report in this review. Charles Henderson has an outstanding reputation among "Real Combat Marines" and he writes it as it really happened. It took me back to Nam after the first few pages and that's what it is all about.
Charles if you are reading this, your Six will always be covered by me!
PitBull Out
Semper Fi,Pro Patria
Charles Patrick "PitBull" Dugan USMC Ret.
0331 machine Gunner - Infantry Vietnam 1966-1967
on December 2, 2009
Henderson is one of my favorite writers for recreating the Vietnam experience but this book was so boring it is the first book in 15 years that I did not complete.. It really was a drag, more the boring administrative side of the United States Marine Corps in Vietnam..
on July 30, 2007
This novel relates true court martial cases from the Viet Nam War, author Henderson weaves the very intriguing true cases using fictitious characters as lawyers and accused. THE JAG office is headed up by a real uptight Col. with a need for his troops to dance to his piping, he is thwarted at every turn by two fresh from the states lawyers who find that justice is far more important than the Colonels vicarious needs. The story is not unlike a legal MASH.
I highly recommend this book, very entertaining.
Jack Caffrey, Fmr, Marine Cpl. (Korea)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2015
No comment
on August 7, 2007
I've read and enjoyed all of Charles W. Henderson's books. Jungle Rules is another top notch effort.
on April 28, 2007
Two stars. It's well written and interesting but it comes across as total phoney-baloney. It reads like fiction built from general facts. Most of the book is dialogue. I was in Vietnam. I recall few of us were able to express any thought or sentiment without including "MF" at the beginning or end of the comment. I saw little of MF in the book.

It's an engrossing yarn if you dont care about details and authenticity.
on January 14, 2015
One of the best and most accurate accounts of USMC life in the jungles of South Viet Nam.
on June 6, 2014
This book, though stated as based on facts, read more like fiction to me. I did not care for this book at all.