4.0 out of 5 stars Junjo
A true dichotomy: Some of the best smooth, tough, calming and energizing music that speaks to my heart, mind and body. Esperanza is a true gift to all who enjoy jazz. In fact, she will appeal to those who don't often listen to jazz, but who love good music.
Published on December 31, 2008 by Charlie Bass

3.0 out of 5 stars She is very talented
I recognize her talent and was expecting to be wowed by every song. It's good music, but I was not as impressed as I thouight I would be and I bought three of her albums at the same time. They are all about the same. I probably should have downloaded just the songs I like the most instead of buying her CDs. This gets a little boring to me.
Published 7 months ago by Charlotte A. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Junjo, December 31, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Junjo (MP3 Music)
I had been told about this young lady approximately 6-8 months before I actually listened to her CD. When I heard her I could not believe it! She is absolutely incredible in her playing and singing for her age and the type of music (jazz) she sings! I bought this CD and her latest CD, "Esperanza" and I simply fell in love with her. When you hear her sing and play it's hard to believe you're listening to someone as young as she is. It hard to imagine what levels she will achieve if her beginning is any indication. I look forward to whatever she puts out in the future. She will definitely become one of my favorite artists!

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this album, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Junjo (Audio CD)
For me, Esperanza Spalding's debut album was pure listening joy. This is a jazz in its purest, undiluted sense. Not only does Spalding play the bass well, she's a great singer as well. Spalding scats on many of the songs (except when she sings the "Cantora de Yala", which is a Argentinian folk song that she sings in Spanish). She's has such a sweet pleasant voice -- one can only hope that she'll sing even more in the future. The song sounds a lot like Brazilian sambas/bossa novas (which I love listening too). She does it all so well too. Spalding also reworks some classic jazz pieces like "Humpty Dumpty" and "The Peacocks".

To me, the title track "Junjo" sums up Spalding's style -- which is playful, savvy, sophisticated, feminine and joyful. But there are many moods expressed throughout the album -- I guess it depends on the listener what they will get from each abstract song.

This album has been on constant repeat on my cd player and IPOD for the past month, that's how much I enjoy it. Right now, I hope to listen to more of her albums in the future -- but I"m enjoying this one so much, it's going to be a little while.

ETA: Her bass solo (the arrangement and her playing) on "Mompouana" is just so wonderful and cool, it almost had me literally tears. Just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful junjo!, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Junjo (Audio CD)
I like Esperanza in this joyful debut. Her emotional, wordless vocals with her bass playing interprets traditional jazz favorites and new compositions to a greater heights. Accompanying her on this jazzy journey are Aruán Ortiz and Francisco Mela, pianist and drummer from Cuba.

One of the many highlights are the trio's take on Chick Corea's "Humpty Dumpty". I hope this chanteuse will be keeping on releasing albums. Jazz should be enjoyed and introduced to a much bigger audience. An album for relaxing times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The birth of something big in Jazz, April 5, 2012
J. Eiffler "JKE" (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junjo (Audio CD)
If you are buying this album because you love Jazz and want to hear the early sounds of it's newest star, you should love this album. If you are buying this album because you want to hear the woman who beat out Justin Beiber for best new artist in 2011, I recommend you try her more commercially accessible releases Esperanza-2008 and Chamber Music Society-2010. All three are great albums, but this first one is a bit different.

Junjo- from 2006 is the first studio release of Esperanza Spalding, one of the most refreshing new artists in Jazz today. It is an instrumental Jazz album that features Ms. Spalding at her rawest, showing us her chops on the bass, and with her voice scatting through a few of the arrangements. Along with Aruan Ortiz on piano and Francisco Mela on drums this trio works its way through a mix of original and traditional material ranging in sound from more traditional sounding American Jazz (not that smooth jazz crap either) to material with a more Latin and South American flavor. 5 of the 9 songs were written by members of the trio. Other songs include Humptyu Dumpty by Chick Corea and Peacocks by Jimmy Rowles. The only true vocal on the album is on track #8 Cantora De Yala which is very melodic right up to the vocals which are sung in Portuguese ( I believe that is the national the language of Brazil) of which Esperanza is fluent in. Each track on this disc shows a talented young jazz trio showing they are capable of playing with the best of them.

This is a very wonderful first effort and it shows the world what becomes apparent in her later releases and performances. Ms Spalding is not just a young talented vocalist, she is a bonafide artist, and a monster bass player. I look forward to listening to this young woman's releases for many years to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars She is very talented, August 26, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY AMAZING!, April 21, 2013
This review is from: Junjo (Audio CD)
Esperanza Spalding is simply AMAZING! She's fresh and refreshing. Her style, her look and her energy are just AMAZING! I'm 59 years old and am quite impressed with her style and abilities.

You go Ms. Spalding! Give us more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't get any better, March 8, 2011
FS "FS" (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junjo (Audio CD)
Just have one word: OUTSTANDING.

If you're in the mood for a suiting music for relaxation, a nice date or something like that, this is your cd.

I have three of her CDs and I understand clearly why Esperanza was the Best New Artist at the GRAMMYs this year.

If you enjoy jazz, with some great variations, this is your type of artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty post-bop jazz, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Junjo (Audio CD)
A very good starightforward album of postbop trio jazz. Spalding and her bandmates are all talented, communicate well, and never overplay. In addition, I like the Brazilian flavor that Ms. Spalding's vocalese imparts. I took a star off because while it's very tasty stuff, it isn't particularly innovative --- it could have been released any time over the last 40 years. But that's not a sin. A 4-star album is still superb in my book, and I'll be listening to it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Angel plays, October 26, 2013
This review is from: Junjo (MP3 Music)
Her voice just flies along with her music. She's an angel. I love the way her voice matches her bass.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x988543d8)

Junjo
Junjo by Esperanza Spalding (Audio CD - 2006)