5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with inspiration
Published on June 16, 2009 by M. D'Angelo

3.0 out of 5 stars Some beautiful, too much junky junk
I have enjoyed Sue Whitney's previous books and own her Junk Beautiful interiors book. I love those books -- such inspiration and wonderful practical ideas to create a truly personalized one of kind home.

Published on April 29, 2009 by Mom2two

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Some beautiful, too much junky junk, April 29, 2009
Mom2two (Livermore, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)

I'm prepared to be roasted, given the affection Sue Whitney enjoys by so many, but I have to give my honest opinion about this most recent publication. I was a little disappointed. I'm not sure if it's the photography or what it is, but some of the stuff just looks JUNKY and not very beautiful or cool. Some of the ideas seemed a little silly -- like the old bottles sticking of of pegs on a post on p. 34. There are so many more wonderful ways to use pretty bottles outdoors, but this just looks cheesy. The chuck wagon cookout idea on pages 101 forward was a waste of space. Ugly, tacky.

That said, Sue shows her true genius in many profiles. She has a real gift for lighting. The egg carrier chandelier on p. 55 is fantastic. The hanging bed on p. 132 is very cool. Some of her best ideas are the simplest: the stool turned upside down and topped with a glass top to make a table on p. 162 is an easy, quick idea that anybody could do in a second.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly just junk, May 12, 2009
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
I thought the purpose of these kinds of books was to make "junk" or other second hand items pretty and useful. One of the projects was an old drum with a tire on top and a glass top laid over it. Not exactly my idea of beautiful junk. Many of the projects in the book were made with items that I know I am never going to find at a flea market or anywhere else. For example one of the projects was made with an old time chuck wagon. Where am I going to find one of these and if I did how would I ever get it home? Furthermore I can't imagine it would be cheap by any stretch. You also need to be pretty darn handy with tools to make these projects. Overall, there were a few nice projects but check it out before you buy, I can't imagine this would appeal to a large crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with inspiration, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
Junk Beautiful Outdoor Edition is packed with some of the most inspiring "Junk" creations imaginable. Every page is well laid out with beautiful photos and humorous captions. One of my favorites is an old hose reel that was turned into a dining cart, a very simple project that would blow your friends away at the next block party. It's also a must have book for the yard sale aficionado. Sue Whitney's talent at diverting items headed for a landfill and making them useful and interesting again is truly amazing. If you are at all interested in recycling, repurposing or creating a beautiful home environment then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 20 projects offer trade secrets and insights, May 17, 2009
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
This follow-up to the authors' best-selling JUNK BEAUTIFUL offers the latest transformation plans in the Junkmarket team's idea basket, showing how to create outdoor kitchens, pools, garden retreats and more from 'junk' from salvage yards and dumpsters. Over 20 projects offer trade secrets and insights inspirational to backyard makeovers, turning thrift-store and flea market oddities into appealing design enhancements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas!, May 17, 2009
S. Aron (Dyer, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
Loved all the ideas and "how-to's" to make some of the items. Have to look at it a few times to make sure didn't miss some great ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want some clever backyard decor?, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
Spend a few minutes looking at great photo layouts and clever script, then you're hooked on these wonderful ideas for making your patio, deck, yard more interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Junk Beautiful Outdoor Edition, January 15, 2013
Not as interesting as I thought it would be.
Not enought good ideas
Maybe the next edition but would want to look before buy

2.0 out of 5 stars It is just what it says it is - all about JUNK, May 30, 2012
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
If you want a colorful, beautifully photographed book about JUNK turned into sometimes strange looking furnishings, this is it. I was actually looking for a book of "how-to" when it came to re-purposing, re-finishing old or ready to discard items. I found that in Lara Spencer's book "I Brake For Garage Sales". This book just doesn't TELL me anything. It does show you a ton of ways the authors have turned throw-aways into what the see as usable, attractive items for their house. Maybe that is inspiration for some. I will have my copy on Amazon as a "Like New" condition used book for sale in minutes. See ya there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Junk Beautiful Outdoor Edition is a Winner!, April 16, 2009
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
I love this book. Beautifully photographed, well written & interesting but most of all, all the projects are so approachable. I strongly recommend it to anyone working with interiors and exteriors. Just great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor Edition is OUT-standing!, June 18, 2009
G.Terrell (Arroyo Grande, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition (Paperback)
This is the third, and maybe the best, book that I have gotten written by Sue Whitney. I found this compilation of outdoor living spaces to be well thought out and beautifully photographed. The ideas are inventive, creative and unique. Miss Whitney takes readily available materials, most that could be destined for the landfill, and uses them to create fantastic outdoor spaces that are full of style, elegance, simplicity and a touch of whimsy. Most of the projects are simple enough for almost anyone but some are a bit more challenging, which makes it even more interesting. It doesn't matter that not everyone has access to a Chuck Wagon, what matters is that you can use elements from each page in your own way to make every entertaining and living space your own.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition
Junk Beautiful, Outdoor Edition by Sue Whitney (Paperback - March 1, 2009)
$21.95 $16.57