5.0 out of 5 stars Great Perspective
Published 21 months ago by Glenn R. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting point of view
A very short read. As a horse owner I often wonder what is going through their mind. Gave it to my granddaughter and she enjoyed it also.
Published 12 months ago by Bonnie Egerer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Perspective, May 30, 2013
I am a Thoroughbred trainer with over 30 years under my belt and I really enjoyed this book. I have always considered myself a kind person and I love my horses but this book did make me think about my reactions to my horses from time to time. I give the horses human qualities sometimes and get upset with them when I feel they might get themselves hurt with their reactions. This book had me look at things from their perspective and realize that they are just being a horse. In it's own subtle way it "Just Another Race Horse" has taught this old dog a new trick; that I need to be more patient with the horses and look for the reasons they are acting the way they are and fix it !! I think this book would be a great read for beginners as well as experienced horsemen and women in all horse professions.
Glenn R. Thompson Thoroughbred Trainer and Author of "The Tradition of Cheating in the Sport of Kings"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and yet haunting story, May 2, 2013
This is a wonderful point of view of how awful these beautiful animals can be treated at times, as if they were machines instead of the feeling, loving creatures that they are. I cried at the sadness of Sonny's mistreatment at the hands of mean-spirited and uncaring handlers, but I cried even harder when he was rescued. Bless you David and Marion, and the others who saw what was inside this magnificent giant of a horse.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Sewell to Seidel: Horses' Heroines, September 17, 2014
This book is brilliant and it is no exaggeration to say that it could become the modern day Black Beauty. If only some smart "big time" publisher would pick it up, and market and promote it correctly; I really think they could not only make a ton of money, but also immensely help the horses. All horses would benefit from the change it would inspire in a heretofore intransigent Thoroughbred Racing Industry.
Consider the following notes about Sewell's Black Beauty below. Then please read Seidel's book, Just Another Race Horse. You will see exactly what I mean. I hope "they" do too.
*All references listed below each quote.

"Sewell sold the novel to local publisher Jarrolds on 24 November 1877, when she was 57 years of age. Although it is now considered a children's classic, she originally wrote it for those who worked with horses. She said "a special aim [was] to induce kindness, sympathy, and an understanding treatment of horses".[3]"

^ Victorian fiction and the cult of the horse by Gina M. Dorré. p. 95. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. (2006). ISBN 0-7546-5515-6.

"With fifty million copies sold, Black Beauty is one of the best-selling books of all time.[2]"

^The Times on Black Beauty: "Fifty million copies of Black Beauty have been sold in the years since Anna Sewell's publisher paid her £20 for the story." (29 February 2008)

"Her sympathetic portrayal of the plight of working animals led to a vast outpouring of concern for animal welfare and is said to have been instrumental in the abolition of the cruel practice of using the checkrein (or "bearing rein", a strap used to keep horses' heads high, fashionable in Victorian England but painful and damaging to a horse's neck).[5]"

^ Anna Sewell, by Prof. Waller Hastings, Northern State University, 2004. Archive.org copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true love story of the best kind, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Just Another Race Horse (Paperback)
We hear the life story of Sonny the racehorse in his own "words", and, you know, I truly think they would be his words if he could speak our language. As it is, David and Marion spoke his, fluently, when they took him into their lives, and because of that he is now a happy horse. Marion tells Sonny's story for him with an understanding that only love, friendship and compassion can create.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!!!, August 9, 2014
This story starts from the day he is born, a brand new baby horse with his whole life ahead of him and all he wants to do is have a care free life but in life we don't always get what we want and that includes animals.

Sonny is abused by different owners until one day his savoir comes and takes him away from all the bad things in his life. I cried during the book because of the way people treated Sonny. No animal should ever be treated as bad as Sonny was but at the end is where his life gets turned around for the better.

If you love stories about horses and can handle what Sonny tells you what he went through, I do believe you will fall in love with him and you will be routing for him! I know I was right from the beginning.

I can't wait to read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, August 29, 2013
I really liked this book, I have always liked books that are written from an animals point of view. I wish it would have been longer. Recommend to an horse/animal lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have loved horses, from a distance, September 5, 2014
When I was a little girl I went on my first (and last) trail ride. It happens when your first time out, the horse wants to take the shortcut back to the barn and you're on a mountain. Since then, I have loved horses, from a distance. Until now.
This beautifully written novella about Sonny gives a better understanding about horses and proof that they all just want the love and understanding we all do. I can only compare this to Black Beauty for its way of making you see the world through the eyes and heart of Sonny.
I highly recommend this story for anyone who loves horses or just wants to understand them a little better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching story, March 16, 2014
This review is from: Just Another Race Horse (Paperback)
A wonderful story about the life of a racehorse! This book was a real page turner for me. It is written from the horses' point of view. That makes it easy to read even for people who are not involved in racehorsing. One is able to follow everything that happens in a life of a racer from another perspective. How does a horse feel? What does he might think of his training etc.? The author worked many years with racehorses, it is clear that she knows what she is writing about. A very good book for horse lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Sonny!, May 9, 2013
This is a wonderful story, told with Sonny's "own" words by the person who is now taking care of him and that has a very special bond with him.

Sonny tells us, the not knowing public, how the life of thousands of race horses looks like.

Those are the horses that are a result of the endless search of the race industry to find the next champion and money maker.

In his naiiv and innocent ways Sonny experiences circumstances that he does not understand and he tells us how he has to adjust to those.

It is at times an upsetting read, and it should be!

Sonny was not a winner on the race tracks.

But unlike the majority of race horses, he ultimately became one of the biggest winners!

David rescued him and Marion is now part of his "forever home".
He won the equivalent of the Lottery, a real happy ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate Insight into the Heart and Soul of A Race Horse, September 5, 2014
“Just Another Race Horse” is an enlightening look into the life of a race horse, straight from the horse’s mouth, with a compassionate presentation of the horse’s emotions and thoughts. The book is a very quick and easy read. Once I started reading, I could not stop, as I could not wait to know what happens next. It was very easy to feel empathy for the horse’s feelings and confusion about the rigors of preparation for races and the agonies of race days. Fortunately for Sonny, his story has a very happy and heartwarming ending. The author comes across as a knowledgeable and sensitive person who obviously cares deeply about the well being and health, both physical and emotional, of these beautiful animals.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Just Another Race Horse
Just Another Race Horse by Marion N. Seidel (Paperback - May 2, 2013)
$11.25 $9.00