Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

94%

on June 17, 2012
I wanted to follow the theme in this book and say that I loved this book JUST BECAUSE, but that would be a disservice to Rebecca Elliott and the poignant story that she is telling.

Ms Elliott dedicates her book to Clemmie and Toby her little muses, and the characters are also named Clemmie and Toby, so I the reader will jump to the conclusion that this is a story of her disabled daughter and her compassionate son.

Clemmie, the older sister, is in a motorized chair and cannot walk or talk or move around much, but she and Toby have wonderful adventures. Toby adores his big sister; he entertains her with drawings and imagines her as a princess. Clemmie is not annoying like other girls and is a great comfort to Toby when he is scared.

Toby does not have the words to describe why he loves his sister, he does and JUST BECAUSE should be reason enough for anyone.

The reader sees that differences do not have to divide people; Toby knows that his sister is unlike other girls; her disabilities do not define her and stop them from being best friend. Maybe that is the lesson we should all take away from this book.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
Just Because is a delightful picture book where a little boy tells about his big sister, Clemmie, and all the things she does or doesn't do "just because." Clemmie is in a wheelchair. That means she doesn't do some things that regular big sisters do, but it doesn't mean she doesn't do anything. The little brother might not know why she does certain things, it's just because.

I absolutely adored this book. It is so sweet to see a child with special needs shown from a younger sibling's perspective. That younger child might not understand everything, but he knows that his sister is there for him, and she is a great companion for him to have. To some people she might be different. To him, she is simply his big sister. With cute illustrations (her crazy hair!), Just Because is a great book to read to children who have encountered someone in a wheelchair, someone who might act a little different than the rest of their friends, or even a sibling that they have a special bond with. It isn't a great book just because, it is a great book for the wonderful story and the great lessons that can be taught.
on December 16, 2014
Wish I could give this book 10 stars! I have a young daughter who is very much like Clemmie, the older sister in this book. We get a lot of curious stares from people, and we appreciate the open curiosity of young kids. This book does a wonderful job of normalizing our world, and helping kids to understand that sometimes people are different "just because." And best of all, it talks about all the fun and wonderful things about spending time with a sister like Clemmie. We hope this will help children reach out to their peers who are different. We've bought multiple copies of this book to share and donated some to classrooms and school libraries. We'd love for parents of kids of all ages to share this book with your kids, to open their world a little more.
on March 25, 2012
I ordered this book and "Sometimes" to read with my little boy, who, like Clemmie, has profound special needs and a younger brother. This book made me cry, it was so gorgeous! The sweet thoughts of a little boy who just enjoys his older sister for who she is. No questions, just love. I highly recommend this book for ALL children; it should be in every school library and on every child's bookshelf at home.
on July 5, 2011
This book is beautiful and mirrors our home life. It's so sweet to know there are other relationships out there like Clemmie and her brother. My daughter loves this book too and it is my favorite to read to her at bedtime. Highly recommended.
on March 21, 2015
This is the story of a very loving relationship between a little brother and his older sister who happens to be in a wheelchair and can't move around much. Little brother, Toby, talks about all the ways big sister, Clemmie, is great. She can't do some things, but the things she can do, they enjoy doing together. I really enjoyed this story. This would be great for the sibling of a special needs child, but really, I recommend this to anybody. The illustrations were spectacular. They really brought the story together.
on January 29, 2016
The cutest, most heartwarming story. I bought it for my special needs son and we both enjoyed it immensely. Thank you to Rebecca Elliot for writing these beautiful stories :) I will be purchasing more from this author.
on August 5, 2014
This little book is so special. It is a special picture of a beautiful sibling relationship. It teaches the dignity and value of children living with special needs, all the while not being "preachy." As the mother of two children who are just like Clemmie and Toby, I highly recommend this book for ALL families. It is beautifully written and illustrated.
on December 18, 2014
Great book for my 7 & 8 year old, they like to read it to their 3 year old disabled brother. I think they like that these books show a family that looks like ours.
on April 21, 2015
Wonderful book! Great pictures, nice story! Makes a wonderful addition to our books in our infant and toddler rooms, to introduce diversity in abilities.