1,348 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Dance 2 is a worthy successor to the original
Published on October 12, 2010 by Nutwiisystem.Com

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart
Published on December 1, 2010 by Cydney E Leech

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Dance 2 is a worthy successor to the original, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The original Just Dance was the first dance video game to feature "real moves" to popular music. Before it, dance games were basically exercises in timing--stomping your feet on a mat or moving your hands to match an on-screen pattern. But with Just Dance, you weren't just playing a video game: you were learning real dance moves that you could take anywhere. And as you played the game over and over, you got a great workout without even knowing it. The game was a smash success, selling over 4 million copies worldwide. The game wasn't without its faults though, the biggest of which was the accuracy of the motion control. Even if you did the moves perfectly, sometimes the system wouldn't register them.

When you start out the game, the starting menu is refreshingly simple. There are three options: Dance!, Store, Extras. When you click "Dance!", you see three options: Just Dance, Dance Battle, and Just Sweat.

The "Just Dance" option gets you right to dancing to individual songs, just like in the original. Up to four players can play, each holding their own Wii remote. As in the original, you try to follow a mirror image of a silhouetted figure on the screen. Stick figures scrolling along the bottom of the screen will help you prepare for the next move, an indicator on the screen will tell you how well you hit your moves, and a "score gauge" will fill up with each correct move you make.

There's a great selection of 44 new songs, with something for everyone. Whether you want to dance to Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas" or Outkast's "Hey Ya". I like Ubisoft's approach; while other music games tend to focus on just one genre, Ubisoft included something for all ages and tastes.

Some of the songs feature "Duet Mode". These songs are identified by circle icon with two figures standing with their back to each other. This is a neat new feature that allows two players to dance alongside each other with each doing different choreographed moves, so you end up dancing a neat little routine together. For example, in Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend", the dancers start by pointing to each other. Then, one makes air guitar-like moves for a while while the other swings her arms. Then, the two go back to synchronized motions. It makes for a cute dance routine.

The "Dance Battle" option takes players through five rounds of competition. Up to four players can compete against each other, and the winner of each round gets a point. The player with the most points at the end of rounds is the winner. You can mix and match from these modes to create different competitions:

- Classic: In this mode, players "just dance". The player with the highest overall score gets a point.
- Duet: This mode consists of all the "Duet Mode" songs. The player in the pair who scores the highest gets a point.
- Simon Says: In this game, while dancing an icon will appear randomly for each play while dancing (Stop, spin around, clap). The player must perform the action accurately to score points.
- Medley: In this mode, each player has to dance to five song samples.
- Race: This is a frenetic mode where each player has to fill their score gauge to win the round.

"Team Battle" is the same as "Dance Battle", except that it allows up to 8 players to play in two teams (they don't all play at the same time, the system will separate the players in the teams and display the players' names when it's their turn). This is great to have at parties where you have can get lots of people playing together and rooting their own team on.

My favorite new feature, of course, is "Just Sweat" mode. In it, you set an objective of calories you want to burn, and then you just dance away until they're burned off. 30 minutes dancing sure beats 30 minutes on a boring treadmill or exercise bike, as you not only burn calories away, you get practice learning the choreographed dance moves. And after dancing to the fast part of "Proud Mary", let's say I have newfound admiration for Tina Turner!

The new "Store" option allows you to buy downloadable content, which will even further expand the playability of this title.

And now the answer to the burning question you've been waiting for: did they really fix the poor motion tracking?

The answer is, happily, yes! Even though the game still uses only one Wii remote, and still doesn't even need MotionPlus, I'm happy to say that the motion tracking picked up my motions almost perfectly. It was even accurate not just to my timing, but also my arm movements and angles. The game developers made a vast improvement over the original in this department.

Overall, Just Dance 2 is a worthy successor to the original. The improved motion tracking is just what the doctor ordered, and they made the game even more fun for people playing together. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars More moves...more options...more sweat...more FUN!, October 13, 2010
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I can officially say that this is the first game I have ever pre-ordered and it was well worth the wait! I have been using the first version as my cardio workout for the past four months and was excited, yet hesitant, for the new one to arrive. The dance moves are definitely faster and more difficult than the first version, with a great new mix of songs. I was intimidated at first, but my 12 year-old daughter and I played each song we selected a couple of times to get the moves down. We ended the session with an exhausting two rounds of Proud Mary...WOW...that one will definitely be a part of my daily workout! I can't wait to try more songs and the "Just Sweat It Off" mode tonight to actually measure the calories I'm burning. Burning calories has never been this much fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better get your hands off my game - Mom, October 17, 2010
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
First of all, I'm 40, Mom, I have 2 kids.
I have Just Dance, and I was on the fence about this game until I read the song list.
I LOVE this game. My kids LOVE it. We play "duet" mode constantly trading places on the dance floor.
My kids are between 7 and 10 and the songs have been edited so any inappropriate lyrics have been "omitted". I've only seen it happen on the song "toxic", but I was impressed that they did that. With Just Dance, Katy Perry sings Hot and Cold and a couple of lyrics could have been omitted without losing the song.
I'm also totally impressed with the variety of genres they have covered. We dance hip hop, latin, disco, techno, and electronic... totally made me want to buy some glow sticks, have a rave. Unbelievably fun workout. If we had the space for 8 people to dance, I'd get more controllers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yowza!! So much fun!, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This is the first time I've played any of these types of dance games, no DDR or anything. So when my 8 year old and I busted this out of the box and popped it in, we had no idea what to expect. What we got... tons o' fun and a wide selection of music. Happily, my 8 year old even beat me on a few a of the songs which on most games doesn't happen. This proved to her there are some things that kids are just better at!!

Signed,
A Happy, Tired Mom!!

5.0 out of 5 stars To the haters..., December 7, 2010
Jengi (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Although this movie widely receives great reviews--to address some of the complaints I've seen in the 1-3 star reviews on here:

To the comment that it's "not for sedentary people"... er, DUH! Did you even know what game you were buying? The whole idea of the game is to get up and move your butt!

Alternately, to the person who said it wasn't a workout and they barely broke a sweat, I don't know what you were playing, but this game gets my heart rate pumping like crazy and absolutely makes me sweat--I'm not in tip top shape, but I'm not a couch potato, either. As with anything in life, you get out of it what you put into it. Try throwing some more enthusiasm into the moves and maybe you'll get somewhere.

The same goes for the person who said you could sit on the couch and swing the wii remote around and get all the points... if you're not going to get into it, why even buy the game? Try playing along, you might surprise yourself and *gasp* actually have fun.

To those saying the songs are lame, you can find track listings for every song in the game (along with what's DLC and thus not included on the disc) anywhere online, so to say you didn't know what you were getting is silly... I think Ubisoft was trying to make a "something for everybody" atmosphere and I dig it. Even the songs I'm not particularly into are fun to dance to. I hate Avril Lavigne but the dance in the game is still fun.

To say there are no classics is absurd, as well--Harry Belafonte? Elvis Presley? Kris Kross? Donna Summer? Tina Turner? James Brown?

And no variety? Combine the aforementioned with Ke$ha, Outkast, The Ting Tings, Pussycat Dolls, Fatboy Slim, Beastie Boys and Vampire Weekend. Um, hi.

It does show you the moves on the bottom of the screen (which I didn't even realize when I first started playing and still had a pretty good time and did fairly well); when there aren't stick figures at the bottom, it simply means to keep repeating the move you're currently doing. The stick figures are there to denote a change in dance move, not to hold your hand the entire way through.

In essence: quit being a fuddy-duddy and just have fun with it for what it is. Shocker, it probably wasn't manufactured with your specific tastes and preferences in mind--just find what you like about it and enjoy it! Some people can't be pleased. :p

I LOVE this game and it makes for some of the best times when friends drop over. The duets are really fun and the dances vary in intensity and difficulty, so you can choose your dances according to what you're up for (or, in my case, how tired you are due to how many dances you've already done). It has indicators on the menu to tell you how hard the moves in a dance are as well as how much it will make you sweat. It's a great, fun way to get some cardio in. My muscles will be screaming for a break and I won't want to put the controller down. It's a wonderful motivator for those of us who want to work out but hate working out.

I'm excited to check out the Just Sweat mode. I find the dances to be very re-playable; there are enough songs to rotate between and come back to. This is pre-DLC, in my case.

It is somewhat irritating that they charge so much for the downloadable songs, but they aren't a necessity to enjoy the game, and if you buy an extra song or two every now and again, it's not that big of a deal.

Sometimes the accuracy of the moves don't register, but overall, it's pretty good. It does instruct you on how to properly hold the wii remote to get your moves to take, so often it's user error. Just something to keep in mind. Doesn't make the dances any less fun, but for the points-oriented player, it's worth a mention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Original, November 17, 2010
T. Hosch "a torn heart" (New Berlin, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I'm 26. I have a Wii. I have an XBox. I use the Wii primarily for working out. My mom got me Just Dance for Christmas last year and I probably burned more calories playing this over my EA Active. Then my mom got me Just Dance 2 this year and I am STOKED about the changes. I love the JUST SWEAT feature. The music is hysterical (Rasputin?). The new partner dances are definitely sweet. I feel like I could actually half learn how to salsa with this. We're planning a dance off between TEAMS for Thanksgiving and it will rock! So yeah, I highly, highly recommend this if you want to have some laughs and fun while you sweat some calories off. Yeah, if you do the 6 songs a day, you'll definitely be dripping by the end. I don't know that this is really for the faint of heart... oh and if you have kids, don't let them play this version - there are songs with moves that are far too inappropriate (suggestive) in their nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to exercise and learn some new dance moves!, November 30, 2010
emmieawards (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
In reviewing some of the lower rated reviews for this game, it seems like these are people who thought the songs sucked, dances were too easy/too hard/too repetitive, not good cardio, or that the scoring system was not accurate enough.

First of all, if you're someone that needs the high scores in order to have fun, then this game is not for you - the scoring is not that precise and is kind of pointless - there's nothing to "unlock" by getting a high score.

As for song selection, sure there are better songs out there in the WORLD but I think Ubisoft did a pretty good job of selecting songs with good beats and in varying styles - so again, if you're looking to purchase this game just for the soundtrack, this is not for you.

Finally in terms of the difficulty of the dances and whether this is good cardio - I think it really comes down to what you want to make of it. I'm sure for professional dancers who are used to mimicking choreography, this game will be too easy but for most of us average folks, the level of difficulty varies by song. I'm not exactly what you would call "coordinated" but some of the dances are too easy even for me and some are so difficult that I cant keep up. It's fun trying them all out and deciding which ones I like most (and this changes frequently depending on my mood). The level of cardio I get also depends on my mood - there are days when I'm not that into it (not fully extending my arms or lifting my legs, not jumping high enough, or not bouncing around enough, etc) and I barely break a sweat. Then there are other days when I will put in 110% and I am drenched in sweat after a half hour. Mind you, I am not in great shape - I'd say I'm slightly below average.

Overall, I'm not really very good at this game but the fun for me is to really get into and try to perfect the moves, and if I break a sweat and can call it my workout for the day, even better! My only complaint would be that the additional songs available for purchase are too expensive (300 Wii points or about $3 each) especially considering the MSRP is about $40.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart, December 1, 2010
Cydney E Leech (Fredericksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The music is good and the game is fun; however if you have lead a sedentary lifestyle you cannot just jump into this. The easy mode means you just do one song, which is good because there is no way a sedentary person could do more than that. This is game is fun to do; but you have to be able to jump around and use your arms at the same time; because the dance moves require you to do that. All in all if you are in fair shape you can get right into the game and have a great deal of fun. If you are not in great shape you have to work up to the game and not expect to get all the moves right or do more than one song at a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge improvement over the original, October 18, 2010
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I wanted to wait and try it a few times before reviewing. This thing is addicting and absobloominglutely as fun as it gets. Some of the moves are downright hilarious. ("Monster Mash" comes to mind.) There is so much variety in music and movement. The best part - I really work up a sweat which is saying a lot for a video workout.

I jog/jump on my mini trampoline between songs while the new ones load to keep the heart rate going. Some of the dances that have fewer foot moves can also be enhanced on the rebounder, but most of the dances work up a sweat just fine on the floor.

I like the sweat mode feature where the workout stops when you bank the predetermined number of sweat points. It's cool because the amount of effort you put into the workout determines how long it has to be.

The colors and graphics are vivid and entertaining. As many have said, the moves are more accurately reflected than in the first version. The saving of progress is a huge plus. While I enjoyed the original Just Dance, I never got why the Wii was required for it since nothing was saved and the moves were so inaccurate. Could have just done a dance DVD and had the same experience. Just Dance 2 is so much better for incorporating motivation as well as record keeping into the workout which is the whole point of using the Wii.

I love it. If you liked Just Dance, you will LOVE Just Dance 2!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Dance 2 rocks., November 4, 2010
This review is from: Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My wife is not into computer games, console games, Atari, Nintendo, Sony, etc. My daughter is a special needs child who cannot play many games I give to her, but both my wife and my daughter, and my mother-in-law loves Just Dance!

It takes seconds to learn, and you feel like you are dancing with an aerobics instructor, hotter than the Wii Fit instructor, and much more interesting.

Just Dance 2 adds couples dancing together, although some songs are kind of gay on the guys side, but there are a lot of classic dancing. I wish my apartment was bigger!

Buy this as a Wii game, promise you will go back to it again and again. Downloadable content, [...]

Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii
Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii by UBI Soft (Nintendo Wii)
$39.99 $17.35