What I like about Just Dance 2014 is not only that they've added some great new features, but they've also kept what's worked from past versions.

Some of the things they've kept:

Published 11 months ago by Nutwiisystem.Com

Published 11 months ago by Braden Pickering

3.0 out of 5 stars Best song selection and graphics of any Just Dance game so far - but the worst motion tracking since part 1, October 10, 2013
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I've kept up with the Just Dance series from the beginning, and own almost all of them to date - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, Summer Party, Greatest Hits, ABBA, Michael Jackson - and now JD2014. Not only are they incredibly fun, but I also use them as my primary workout regime. In fact, I've been playing them for 20 minutes or more every single day since last December and have lost over 45 pounds with very little modification to my diet. I only mention these things so my later criticisms come off as more credible and not just the rantings of a casual player who simply can't keep up with the steps or hold the controller properly. Trust me, I know these games inside out, lol.

The Just Dance games are one of those rare instances where the next in the series almost always outdoes the last and they just keep getting better and better. Like I said above, I've played these games literally every single day for almost a year, so I was very ready for some new variety, and JD2014 doesn't disappoint in that area. There is a great selection of new and old tracks from around the world, some obscure and others more popular, including several that are in heavy rotation on the radio right now, like "Blurred Lines" and "Get Lucky," along with some that aren't even out on CD yet, like "Applause" and "Roar." Plus, most tracks have at least one - but up to three - alternate modes/choreographies that can be unlocked by earning in-game mojo points. The avatars for your player card are actually pretty cute, and the graphics overall are more colorful and realistic than ever before. (I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the Just Sweat mode as presented in part 4 where you had the "instructor" guiding you through your session with warm up and cool down periods, though others will likely be glad to see it return to its more traditional format.) The choreography as a whole is more intricate and challenging as well, and the developers really went all out to make this a striking and personal experience. With the wealth of content offered here there is no reason anyone should be bored with this game for quite some time.

However, we need to talk about the motion controls. In a nutshell, they're very hit or miss, and at times downright terrible. I did already admit that some of the choreography is more difficult than in past games, which is great and probably does account for some of it, but many times even the most straightforward of moves rarely scores a "Perfect," and it's not uncommon to receive an "X" for a gesture that may be as simple as slowly pointing your hand to the ground. At one point I sort of joked to myself that I'd probably get a better score just standing still for a few moments, so I tried it - and I did! What's that all about? And don't even get me started on the Gold Moves. They're so awkwardly placed, mostly as non-movements between poses, that landing one really is a random crapshoot that requires no technique whatsoever. The instructional pictograms in the corner are a mess; for instance, they may tell you to move your hand from your hip to your head, which sounds easy enough, but fail to mention anything about the three claps and full body turn in between. Even the moves that are correct still tend to be three or four beats ahead of the moves they actually correspond to, so it's pretty much a useless feature all around. Of course practice makes perfect when learning any new dance, and eventually it will come down to your own memorization, but it really is like somebody worked overtime to make sure you're already going into it facing some unnecessary trial and error. I'm not saying every song on the disc is a complete catastrophe like that, but maybe half the ones I've tried so far are, so definitely more than enough to not go unnoticed. Every Just Dance game has had a handful of "quirks" to watch out for, but after nearly perfecting the art of motion tracking accuracy in parts 3 and 4, it really shocked me to see it so degraded this time around, especially when almost every other aspect improved so vastly. (This isn't a complaint about gameplay, necessarily, but the mash-ups are pretty awful, too. Instead of the usual "who's who" compilation of dancers from past games, they use the same four or five characters from THIS game over and over again with the same set of boring moves that never register correctly anyway. If I see that chick in the blue denim shorts pop up in one more song I'm going to scream.) On the bright side, the points per move seem somewhat generous, so you can afford to biff 2/3 of a song and still end up with upwards of four stars.

Now, with reviews like mine that go against the general consensus, I realize people are going to have questions and try to pinpoint the issues on something I'M doing wrong, which I totally understand as I would normally do the same. Are your batteries charged? Is your controller calibrated? Are you doing the right move at all? And the answers are yes, yes, and yes. As much as I love these types of games they aren't exactly rocket science, lol. Anyhow, despite all that I'm giving this game a rating of three stars because what's good here is REALLY good. It honestly kind of pains me to say so because based on everything I had seen and heard about it beforehand I was fully expecting a 5 star experience. In the end I guess one's enjoyment of it depends on how "serious" of a player they are and what they intend to get out of it. For me personally it functions as a workout more than anything else and it's still a fun way to be active and stay in shape, so it really does suit my needs perfectly in that regard, and the points don't ultimately matter. But, at the end of the day, it IS still a game that's meant to be competitive and scored, even if only against no one other than yourself, and it just simply does not function properly as such so I have to knock some stars off for that reason alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent improvements that continue to push the franchise forward, October 10, 2013

Some of the things they've kept:

- Good motion detection. They've been continually improving motion detection on the Wii since Just Dance 2, and they've just about perfected it by finally supporting the Wii Remote Plus. It's not as precise as a Kinect or a Playstation Move, but it's still very good--if you do the dance correctly and hold the Wii remote correctly, you will get a high score. The Wii Remote Plus is a little less "forgiving" than in previous versions of the game, but as long as you use the proper technique (grasp the Wii remote like a baton with buttons facing toward you, don't twist your wrists while dancing, etc.) you'll do fine. (I was actually convinced that my Wii remote was broken when I kept losing points to a certain song, until my 10 year old nephew used the same remote and instantly got 5 stars on the same song. :P)

- Simple, fast graphics and animation. I much prefer to try to follow a simple silhouetted figure than an overly stylized, overly realistic character. And I love the sense of humor of the animators--in certain songs you might be dancing as a panda, zombie, flower child, or ghost.

- Just Sweat mode. You can play 10, 20, or 40 minutes at a time, or turn on "free mode" to count calories on any song you play during the game. As another reviewer has stated, you can't save playlists; one is randomly generated for you each time. You can customize the playlist each time prior to working out.

- Excellent variety of different choreography for each song. Each song comes with a standard set of dance moves, but for many songs you can unlock other variations, such as "On Stage" (where multiple players interact with each other as they're dancing in a musical), "Mashup" (which consists of moves from past Just Dance games) and "Sweat" (which maximizes moves that give you a great workout).

Here are some of the newer things in Just Dance 2014 I like:

- Dancer Cards. You can set up a profile, give yourself a nickname, and then any time track your total kCals burned in Just Sweat Mode, your favorite songs, your average star rating, and your online level. You can even choose from an oh-so-cute set of avatar faces to identify you, a huge improvement over the past when you could only be identified by color and a generic name like "Happy".

- Online gameplay. I wasn't sure if they could pull this off but they did. When you log on, you'll see an icon called "World Dance Floor" and see the number of online players dancing. You can join in and participate in friendly competitions, voting for songs, or just dancing with the group and seeing who gets the highest score. The good news for those who want to keep their online identities secure is that you're only identified by your Dancer Card nickname.

- A better points system. Unlike Just Dance 4 where you had to collect Mojo Points and then wait for a random thing in the game to be unlocked, Just Dance 2014 uses a "shopping" system where you can collect points and then use them to "buy" different things to unlock, such as alternate choreography or mash-ups.

- A great new mix of contemporary songs and oldies. I'm not sure why Amazon doesn't publish full lists of the tracks, but for your convenience here's a complete song list that lists artist, song name, and the number of dancers and difficulty level of the classic choreography. (They've done away with separate rating for difficulty and exertion, and have simplified it to easy, medium, and hard.)

One Direction - Kiss You - 4 - Easy
Sunlight Express - Nitro Bot - 2 - Medium
Jason Derulo - The Other Side - 1 - Hard
Ivete Sangalo - Dancando - 1 - Medium
(Free download) Katy Perry - Roar

There were a few things I wasn't crazy about:

- Headaches of getting online. It's just confusing having to sign in with a Nintendo account and then to have to create a separate Ubisoft "Uplay" account. And there appear to be glitches in the early going of the system--for several times I tried to log on and I either got a "The Ubisoft servers are down" message or it just kept saying "waiting" until I had to reboot.

- The shared videos. I admit, after a while I found the videos that amateur users upload a bit repetitive and annoying, especially when they go through the automated editing process that shortens them. I'd rather see full dance performances from really good dancers, the kind you can pull up on YouTube.

Still, the negative aspects of the game didn't detract from the main gameplay, so I can let it pass. All told, the new features of Just Dance 2014 along are a vast improvement over Just Dance 4 and prior. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Dance is back and it's better than ever!, October 8, 2013
Alan Ramirez (Monterrey, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
What I like about the Just Dance games, is that you can work out and have fun at the same time. I also like that every game is always better than the previous one, and JD 2014 is no exception!
Just Dance 2014 follows the same formula as the previous Just Dance games, but with new features. At the first time you play it, you get special avatars (if you have played previous JD games in your console) of characters of previous songs. The sweat mode is now more attractive, now you can choose the songs you want to play in sweat mode and not random ones, something I hated about JD4's sweat mode. The menu feels more organized now; you pick a song, and then there are all the modes (classic mode, mash-up mode, sweat mash-up, and sometimes the Broadway version, where one person plays the "star" of the song, and the other two are backup dancers), the graphics are awesome, and the choreographies are fun (you get to play extravagant characters, like a panda bear in Kesha's C'Mon, or a monster in the Ghost Busters theme song)! The choreographies are harder this time, but in my case I got 5 stars for almost all songs at the first time, so if you have played the JD games before, you may get 5 stars at the first time too.

But the best part of this game is the World Dance Floor. You can play against people from all over the world and win points to unlock different things.
Overall, Just Dance 2014 will be liked by fans of the series, and people who haven't played it before too, because you don't need to be a professional dancer to play this, you only need to have the energy to do it!
What I didn't liked about this game is the motion tracking: you can do a movement perfectly (or at least you think you do) and you get an "OK" or even a "X", while if you do a movement wrong you'll get a "PERFECT". I thought Ubisoft had enough money to make an amazing motion tracker, but anyway, if you do most movements well, you'll get five stars anyway.

Anyway, There is also a song for everyone; current hits for teenagers and young adults, international songs for international players, and old songs for older players. Everybody will have fun no matter the age! Buy it if you want to have hours and hours of fun! I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Songs not Appropriate, November 1, 2013
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I have always loved the Just Dance games and play it with my nieces. It was disappointing to that this version has two very inappropriate songs. The rating should not have been 10+ years of age. It should be older. It has "I Kissed a Girl and I Like It" and has "Blurred Lines". To me both of these songs have content that is adult.

The game itself came quickly, plays just fine, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Specifically commenting on the game with Nintendo Wii console, October 19, 2013
The Great!

- What fun new songs! And not just "new songs" like they're new on the radio, but just new to the game in general. There are some oldies but goodies in there like "I Will Survive", "YMCA" and even "Careless Whispers". The choreography was cute and doable in these songs.

- Challenging choreography. Is it me getting older or are these dance moves harder than the ones on Just Dance 4? Definitely a good work out (if you're looking for that) and definitely more challenging than before.

- Opportunities to share. Many of the songs are in duos or groups, and not as many solos, which is fun for most (I would think) because most people don't play these games alone.

The "Needs to Improve"

- It's probably just the Wii console, but it just doesn't read as well as the Kinect 360 on XBox. I'm not a bad dancer, but it's not giving me really good scores. And I could tell it's with the remote because if I adjust the remote just slightly, my scores will often improve. Quite irritating.

- I'm not getting how you can earn more points thing.... is that so I can get more songs, or different variations of the songs? I haven't played the game long enough to speak to this point, but I thought that was a bit confusing from the get-go.

I rented this game from RedBox with the anticipation that I will probably buy it as a game when the price comes down for the XBox console. For those who do not have PlayStation 3 or XBox, you are probably already aware of the issue of how well the Wii console will read you. If that doesn't bother you, this game is a 5 star for sure.

I recommend this game to:

- fans of the Just Dance game series.
- teenagers who like to dance and move around, and like to do that with friends.
- those of us no longer teenagers but like to move around, and like to do that with friends. =)
- anyone who is working for a fun workout! This is really quite a good way to sweat it out without going to the gym!

I do not recommend this game to:

- those who have never played the Just Dance game series, or have limited exposure to dancing games of sorts (Dance Central, Dance Revolution, etc.). This game might be a bit too challenging for you. In that case, I highly recommend starting with Just Dance 4, which has good choreography that DOES get harder as you proceed, but starts off at a level that is suitable for most people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for younger kids, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
We own Just Dance 2 and I loved that it had a mix of the current and easily recognizable older songs of multiple genres and time periods. The lyrics and choreography were entertaining and engaging for all ages, but still appropriate for younger kids.

I was disappointed to find out Just Dance 2014 was not the same. I bought this for my nearly 7 year old knowing that it was rated 10 and up. She loves Katy Perry and especially her newest song 'Roar' and that was my main reason for purchasing this version of Just Dance in particular. Quite a bit of this is not content I would deem appropriate for anyone under 13 or so. Blurred Lines, which I had not known the lyrics to prior to purchasing, is IMO highly inappropriate for a 10 year old (and certainly 7, but in all fairness, that's not the market age). I won't repeat the exact lyrics because it's not appropriate even here, but will summarize it by saying it involves lots of sexual suggests, "getting nasty", "up all night to get lucky", drug use. There were also quite a few other songs that were equally inappropriate for 10 year olds but this is one that sticks out the most. Along with the adult lyrics, there is more moves in JD 2014 with gyrating, shoulder shaking, etc that would be more appropriate for an older crowd than in Just Dance 2.

It's not all bad, Katy Perry's "Roar" is a great song, with appropriate choreography to go with it as well as the crowd pleaser YMCA by the Village People. But for now I'm left with taking away a Christmas present until they (also have an 8 year old) are more mature, and even then, I don't know that I want my child at any age gyrating and shaking certain body parts to lyrics about "getting nasty" and "I know you want it".

And yes I realize there is a Just Dance Kids, and also a Just Dance Kids 2014, but they are quite honestly (unintentionally) geared towards preschoolers. Not to mention the reviews are not honest with all the 'paid for' supposedly "honest" (yeah right!) reviews out there. My 7 and 8 year olds don't want to dance to nursery rhymes of hickory dickory dock and skip to my lou sung by kids, reminiscent of the numerous toddler mommy and me style classes we went to in their younger years. They want to listen to (appropriate) pop songs they hear on the radio sung by the artist themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN--Happy--DANCING Times, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Just Dance Series have been so much fun! We have played them with family and friends for years now and have had a blast with the characters on the screen, trying to get the moves right and cracking up at one another and our moves. Sometimes when we are cranky, we just turn on the JD Wii and get a little exercise and laughs. What more can you ask for really?

Every Just Dance disc has progressed with more and more options, characters, modes of play, and songs, and this is no different. If you already own the prior JD software, you will still want to purchase this one! They have a lot of great new song, which you can see in the list. My kids love that KP "Roar" is on this one!
This version is the most organized yet, has great avatars to choose from and you can gather points to unlock your prizes. It has all the modes of play including: classic mode, mash-up mode, sweat mash-up, and also a type of Broadway/On Stage mode. For that, one person plays the "star" of the song, and the others are backup dancers. On the 'World Dance Floor' you can join a virtual crew of real-life friends or any other JD fans. You can choose themes to compete on or “Boys Vs Girls” and “Crew Vs Crew”. The new choreography's/dances are fun and quirky as usual with Fruit characters on one, a Panda on another, or a Lady Gaga funky style and on and on...
I literally have to force my kids to turn off the JD and take a break! Love it!

My only complaint is that I really don't approve of some of the lyrics on this version. Some of the songs are just rude....I didn't even realize some of the words were so explicit until I saw them printed out during the songs on the bottom left of the screen.
That being said.....this is Not the Kids Version. They have a Kids Just D. for the younger ones. So, if you are buying this for young kids you should just be aware of the songs and may want the Kid version.

If you haven't tried the Just Dance series, you MUST. They are tons of fun and you won't be disappointed if you love music and even just want to try to dance. I think anyone from about 9-90 yrs old would love Just Dance.

I say just do it, jump off the couch and have some good, dancing, fun times with the people you love to hang out with. I even lost weight when we were doing the Wii JD every day or two. It is amazing how much exercise you can get in while having fun. I am starting back at it again with this new version and hope to loose some more unwanted pounds in the next few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed & Delighted, October 11, 2013
TheBeth (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
So happy with Wii Just Dance 2014. I have all the JD games & this one has more options than before. I'm 44, so I don't know several of the songs but I love 6 of the songs & starting to like a few others (that are new to me but I'm sure others will recognize them). I'm hoping there will be more songs to download soon. I love the choreography, graphics & cute avatars. Also, if you have a microphone, you can sing along if you're not dancing. Wii motion control remote works perfectly & is very accurate in all the dances & songs. I have already downloaded a few songs & have unlocked songs & mash-up songs. As soon as it arrived, I played for 2 hours straight: & I was planning on napping because I was exhausted! Shows how much I enjoy the game! I am delighted "Just Dance" song is on this game. I can't wait until my 10 step-grandkids come over this weekend: they will be delighted to play with me. Because of some of the lyrics, I will be careful not to let the kids under age 12 dance to a few of them. I've had this rule with all of the dance games, because I'm overly cautious so they're used to that. Of course, I will be giving them their own JD2014 game at Christmas. I love the sweat mode & exercising: hours fly by quickly. I tried to do the world version but my wireless internet connection wouldn't work for some reason. I can shop but I can't dance in world mode. Oh well... at least I can do everything else. I highly recommend this game to teens or to anyone who loves to dance.

10/17/13 Update: I did the world stage dance last night & stayed on for an hour. For impatient me it was nice to know how many seconds left to wait for next song. 24 people were playing at same time & I eventually improved enough to be in top 10 people with my scores. With all the virtual coins I collected, I was able to unlock more songs & mash-up songs. I'm aching today from doing the sweat mode of dancing. I love all the JD games & glad I have this one too.

12/4/13 Update: I finally got around to it: by using my USB microphone (sold separately for Wii games) enables me to sing karaoke-style & if I sing correctly, I earn more "mojo" virtual coins toward avatars & songs/dances. Lots of fun but I make sure no one is home when I sing along while dancing simultaneously. I'm sure I look & sound like I've lost my marbles. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking For Fun or Exercise? Try This Out - Great Music, Lots of Songs, Lots of Fun, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The kids and I love the Just Dance Games, so it was a blast to get this one, with its updated songs, the ability to dance online with people from around the world, the ability to sing along, and the different choreography across the different areas (Just Sweat, Extreme, Battle, Mash-up).

We have not really tested the online World Dance portion as I'm not wanting my kids online (they are 3 and 6), but I can see the appeal, and will likely relax and let them play that as well in the near future.

One of the huge pluses with this is that when we have friends over, we enjoy dance parties, and they are great for energy outlets and helping to keep the kids playing together in the same room. Add to that that the parents can get in some fun exercising at the same time and you have a hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Dance 2014..... Best Game Ever!, December 2, 2013
This review is from: Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
i Chose It Because It Is An Outstanding Game And I Love To Play It With My Friends And Family. Overall, It's A Great Game And I Recommend It To Any One Getting Something For Their Little Ones.

Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii
Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii by UBI Soft (Nintendo Wii)
$39.99 $33.70